Inter Fans Loved Mancini

onceabluealways said:
His style of play is dictated to an extent by the players we have. he tried to sign two midfielder + viera in the window but failed.

he wants to play with a strong mobile midfield but we don't have the players. look when Viera comes on the pitch he has DeJong holding and Barry moves up the pitch a little so a 433 with one holding player.

We have a few problems , we still make some silly mistakes at the back which seems to cost us every time, adebayor is a very in/out player so depending which one you get effects our attacking performance. Petrov one of our squad players dissapears to easy, ireland is a shadow of last season.

I believe we are still hard to beat but don't move the ball from back to front quick enough. We need to give this guy some time like Hughes he needs at least one good window.

so his style of play is dictated by the players we have....and out of a squad of 20+ players he musters 8 defenders or defensive minded players.

this suggests that either mancini and his tactics are one dimensional (one tactic fits all) or he should play a different tactic more suited to the players we have

shadygiz said:
onceabluealways said:
His style of play is dictated to an extent by the players we have. he tried to sign two midfielder + viera in the window but failed.

he wants to play with a strong mobile midfield but we don't have the players. look when Viera comes on the pitch he has DeJong holding and Barry moves up the pitch a little so a 433 with one holding player.

We have a few problems , we still make some silly mistakes at the back which seems to cost us every time, adebayor is a very in/out player so depending which one you get effects our attacking performance. Petrov one of our squad players dissapears to easy, ireland is a shadow of last season.

I believe we are still hard to beat but don't move the ball from back to front quick enough. We need to give this guy some time like Hughes he needs at least one good window.

so his style of play is dictated by the players we have....and out of a squad of 20+ players he musters 8 defenders or defensive minded players.

this suggests that either mancini and his tactics are one dimensional (one tactic fits all) or he should play a different tactic more suited to the players we have

The tactic he is using at the moment is getting results.

fathellensbellend said:
SalfordCityBlue said:
It's not so much that it differs from my opinion, more that it is clearly detached from sanity.

Less than two months in the job, 8 wins, one draw, three losses and people want him gone? If you don't think that is fucking stupidity, even by City's standards then I despair. I really do.

2 of those wins were against championship sides

we beat stoke boxing day-4 away goals all season up until that game.
blackburn at home 4-1 1 away win in thirteen
wolves away-6 wins in 25
portsmouth and bolton the bottom 2

we lost to everton, they upped the tempo and it killed us, tactically outmanouvered.
we lost to united over 2 legs for playing not to lose instead of trying to score again, the best team went through no arguement.
we lost to hull-square pegs in square holes.
and yesterday was again another unispired load of dross

the games we have won have had nothing to do with tactics, but more down to the fact that the opposition barely contain a player who would make our bench.

There's always 2 ways to look at things isn't there!

Burnley have won 1 point away from home all season. Guess where.

Wolves last 2 home games have been vs Liverpool & Spurs - result 4 pts.

We drew games vs Hull, Burnley, Fulham, Birmingham, Wigan. On that form we would have drawn vs Stoke (league), Bolton, Blackburn, Wolves & Boro.

The guy has taken over players that are not his choice. The first thing you do is shut up shop, especially when conceding has been the biggest problem. I agree he has made dubious decisions but then he has no Premiership experience (which is why he wouldn't have been my choice in the first place).

But we're still unbeaten at home, still in the draw for the Cup Qtrs and in 5th place of the Prem. Surely that's grounds for optimism.

Immaculate Pasta said:
shadygiz said:

and at the same time alienating sections of the fanbase to the point where its affecting the crowd and atmosphere

BL2blue said:
fathellensbellend said:
2 of those wins were against championship sides

we beat stoke boxing day-4 away goals all season up until that game.
blackburn at home 4-1 1 away win in thirteen
wolves away-6 wins in 25
portsmouth and bolton the bottom 2

we lost to everton, they upped the tempo and it killed us, tactically outmanouvered.
we lost to united over 2 legs for playing not to lose instead of trying to score again, the best team went through no arguement.
we lost to hull-square pegs in square holes.
and yesterday was again another unispired load of dross

the games we have won have had nothing to do with tactics, but more down to the fact that the opposition barely contain a player who would make our bench.

There's always 2 ways to look at things isn't there!

Burnley have won 1 point away from home all season. Guess where.

Wolves last 2 home games have been vs Liverpool & Spurs - result 4 pts.

We drew games vs Hull, Burnley, Fulham, Birmingham, Wigan. On that form we would have drawn vs Stoke (league), Bolton, Blackburn, Wolves & Boro.

The guy has taken over players that are not his choice. The first thing you do is shut up shop, especially when conceding has been the biggest problem. I agree he has made dubious decisions but then he has no Premiership experience (which is why he wouldn't have been my choice in the first place).

But we're still unbeaten at home, still in the draw for the Cup Qtrs and in 5th place of the Prem. Surely that's grounds for optimism.

You'd think so, wouldn't you:)

shadygiz said:
Immaculate Pasta said:

and at the same time alienating sections of the fanbase to the point where its affecting the crowd and atmosphere

Thats' the problem of the deluded twats then and not Mancini.

shadygiz said:

Let them become armchairs or go follow their local Hyde Utd/Stalybridge Celtic/Ashton Utd/Denton Town F.C then. The only time I feel alienated as a City fan is when i come on here! Seems a rare trait to have a bit of optimism on the forum these days. I'm with Immaculate Pasta, it isn't pretty but we are getting results. If it gets us to where we want to be, then I'm happy. I've followed City through worse times than this and I'm only 26.

If people want a new manager again, the only person i can see them wanting is Mourinho. He plays a similar way to Mancini with three across the middle, sometimes with one of those being used as a defensive midfielder. This is similar to how we set up yesterday, with Barry/Ireland/De Jong. Many a blue when the Hughes merry go round went on said that Mourinho's style of football isn't exactly enthralling. Be good to see a Chelsea fans input on this.

The Mourinho Way
formation.jpg

You play to your strengths, our strength right now isn't going forward, we have close to zero options in the middle, Barry/Ireland/Viera being our only outlets when they play, yet none are playing well enough to produce. I realize everyone is moaning about Mancini's attitude and not going for it in these games but how can we go for it, put everyone up front?

Our strengths right now lie strangely in our defence, we've lost 4 this season.. exactly the same as Chelsea, the difference being they have doubled their goal difference over us so it shows where our weakness lies.

People have been saying that teams like Chelsea are battering teams we should be doing, but its stupid to compare them to us when they have the likes of Deco,Ballack,Lampard,Anelka,Drogba,Malouda even Essien all contributing to attack and all could score yet we have half that amount of players and half aren't even on form, we really need to strengthen our midfield over anything else, in fact a total rethink of the middle.

We are greatly missing over any other position a Fabregas/Gerrard/Iniesta etc type player, someone to connect with De Jong/Viera allow them to lie a little deeper, push us forwards and distribute. Our only true way of going forward really is the pace we have on the wings Johnson,SWP,Petrov,Bellamy. Only Johnson and in spells Bellamy i've noticed can cross it consistently and they seem to come inside anyway rather than cross it because we are crap in the air.

If you look at the stats from the Stoke game, we had a massive 62% possession yet created the exact same amount of chances on goal Stoke did.. You can see where the problems lie.

Just seems to me we are relying on a bit of magic to win us these matches and without Tevez it showed how much we miss that magic we just seem to have nothing going for us other than a bit of luck like SWP had. We had it last year in Robinho i can still remember him against Portsmouth at home one of the best players i've seen pull on a city shirt he was outstanding, really sad to see him flop.

I think we'll make the top four it just all depends on getting results against Pool and Spurs am sure though with good performances we'll see them off.

Damocles said:
Mancini was at Inter for four years, and played shit (but successful) football in his first season because he didn't have the players he wanted.

People who are saying that the tactics aren't working are completely wrong, and any sensible fan will see that the tactics ARE working. The Zona Mista is designed to keep goals out and dominate the possession to the point whereby the only danger to the defence are longballs from their fullbacks to their wingers. This is doing exactly what we wanted.

The problem as many see it, is that the slow tempo/possession football isn't entertaining. I'm pretty annoyed at some of the members on here who are saying that we have gone backwards. I implore all of you to go back 50 pages on the forum, and check the threads for when Hughes was in charge. No organisation, long ball, boring football, shit defence, were all sticks used to beat Hughes with. I'd rather win every game 1-0 than lose 5-4.

If you look back over the past 6 weeks, Man United have accrued the most points. City are second. Whilst it may not be the most entertaining brand of football, it is certainly working, and we are winning many points. I must say, I can't think of a time where I've been more confident of City keeping a clean sheet. We aren't exactly a brick wall yet, but we are definitely getting there.

Unfortunately, the best attack in the business doesn't win you success. There are many examples of this over the years, Brazil's quadruple of Ronaldinho/Robinho/Ronaldo/Adriano being a good one.
The most successful teams in the world are built off of a good defence, and keeping clean sheets. This is something that Mancini is obviously heavily working on, if NMT's training reports are anything to go by. Mancini has figured out that a high percentage of goals conceeded in England are down to set pieces and bad defensive organisation.

Speaking of training reports, I am a little concerned with how inept we look on offensive set pieces considering on how often we work upon them (every day pretty much). Maybe with a natural corner taker like Johnson we'll be ok, yet at the moment with Barry/Petrov/Ireland taking corners, we rarely win anything from them. Free kicks are a different ball game all together, and our defence may as well save itself the 40 yard sprint, as if we are within 50 yards of goal, we tend to shoot.

Mancini's style of play is getting there, but still not achieved (as is to be expected). His top priority was the defence, and if look at the monumental change between us now and when Hughes was here, you can see why he is good for his money.

I don't understand the argument that the players don't possess the required quality. I'd put up a case for every single one of our players against any player at Liverpool or Arsenal or United. Maybe not against Chelsea, but we aren't aiming at their level currently. We are a better squad than United, who are successful because they have a more consistent management structure than us. They soon won't. Arsenal and Liverpool would KILL for our squad. There are reasons why they are sniffing around our 'fringe' players like M. Johnson, Nedum (Scouse) and Petrov (Arse asked about him).

In Tevez, Adebayor, Bellamy and RSC, we have the strikers to play any type of football we want, at a top level too. Tevez seems to be a hero at the moment, as does Bellamy, so I don't need to tell you how good those guys are. RSC is hugely underrated by City fans, go and ask a Blackburn or Munich fan what they think of him and all will tell you that he is a brilliant player. Once he gets his run, he'll change some opinions on here, and we hopefully start valuing him more. He actually did pretty well when he came on yesterday. Adebayor is our Drogba. There is nothing that this guy isn't good at. He's got power, pace, an eye for goal, control, is good in the air, skillful on the ground, can place it or smash it. Just an unbelievable striker. His problem is always his footnote to his praise, "....on his day". Ade's attitude seems to have changed heavily since the Togo stuff and hopefully he is a bit more grounded now. Either way, Mancini managed Ibrahimovic without a problem and that guy was batshit insane, he can handle big players. Comparison wise, I think we are BETTER than the rest of the top four.

Our widemen in Petrov, Bellamy, Sweep and now Johnson give us enough cover to play either guys who cut in, or guys who go wide. To me, Petrov is one of the best players I've seen in a City shirt, and has the ability to be a game changer. If he is on the left, and gets the ball to feet, he is an absolute joy to watch. He loves cutting inside and just smashing the ball in the net, but is equally good crossing. Maybe he lacks in defensive responsibility, and this is probably his downfall with some fans. He seems to be the latest one to pick up the 'lazy' tag since Robinho was dropped, and he's getting some pressure from the fans to perform better. I can't really defend him to this extent, like his Bulgarian counterparts in Berbatov and Bojinov, he does seem to just disappear in games sometimes and doesn't work hard enough. Maybe it's something that they put in the water over there.
SWP has played a disappointing number of games since Mancini has came. To be honest, this is more down to him not fitting in to our new system than anything else, and we saw last night that SWP, who looking over the course of the season has to be up there for Player of the Year, still has the ability to run teams in to the ground. He'll still get 25 games next season, with us in four competitions.
Johnson I'm reserving judgement on until I see him in our system a bit more. He looks bright though, and can only get better. I'd definitely put these guys up against the rest of the top four.

Ah, centre midfield, where all of our comparison falls apart. Despite what some on here think, I really rate Barry, Ireland and De Jong as a three in midfield. It seems balanced to me, Ireland the guy charging forward, De Jong doing the Makelele stuff that he excels at, and Barry linking them together. I think one of our main problems here, is that these guys play nearly every game and must be feeling the tiredness factor mentally and physically. I also think that they are a bit lost at times to who is doing what between Barry and Ireland. Stevie hasn't hit his form of last season (where to be fair, we played a far more open game), and he is starting to get the fans on his back. Perhaps his lack of holiday this year was a bad idea.
I'll be honest here, I don't get the Barry criticism. He does have bad games at times, but no worse than any other player in the league. For the price we bought him, I still think (apart from maybe Given) that he is the best piece of business that we have done. His movement and ability on the pitch is pretty much unquestionable, he's also great in a tackle and can pass with the best of them.
Viera is still to early to be judged, purely because you can tell he isn't fit. It's worth noting that the French manager came out yesterday and said that if he is playing regularly, he is going to the WC as French captain, so he is still rated within the game. I don't like how often that he seems to hit passes astray, or to people who simply don't want the ball. Hopefully, he'll tighten up in time. As a pure centre midfielder (which is how we play him, I don't get the DM vibe that others pick up) I hope he can give GazBaz a bit of leeway and a rest.
Unfortunately, that's it for centre mids (I'm not counting Kompany, Zab or Sylvinho there, simply because they aren't natural centre mids). I see we failed to address this problem in the transfer window and De Niro has a point about that. Having four natural centre's in a team that regularly puts three of them on a pitch together is a recipe for disaster. Our season would fall apart if we picked up two injuries in this position.

Defensively and in goal, I think we are pretty strong. I'm quite high on Toure, but I must admit that I've always been partial to a centre back who can take the ball out of defence. With him, Richards, Kompany (who has been fantastic recently), Nedum, Zab, Bridgy, and the young lad Boyata, I think we are pretty sharp here. Definitely as good as the Liverpool defence.

Overall, I'm willing to be patient about Mancini and our squad. We have the required quality, we have a proven winner in charge, and we have a good structure in the club. We aren't playing well, but we still aren't losing, which is the oft used cliche of Champions. All of the talk of a crisis is premature and to be honest, I think that many of the posters who were spouting yesterday would have probably have given a different opinion today. A forum by it's very nature is a place to woman and moan after a 'bad result', and we all need patience with each other as well as the team. I still feel that we are the better placed of any team to hit the top four, and I'm willing to wait until the end of the season before I judge the merits of Mancini as a manager. Actually, that's probably false, I'm more willing to wait until the end of next season (so that he gets a proper run at it), but whether the owners share this patience is debatable.

A well thought out, clearly written argument (something that has been lacking on this forum of late). I agree with a number of the points raised but I am afraid I cannot agree with your assessment of the midfield. I have raised previously that I think this is the main area where Hughes has messed up. The reason why it was not noticed while Hughes was still in charge was because it was overshadowed by our disastrous defending (9 goals conceded in our last 3 matches under Hughes)! All midfields may they be Chelsea's or Real Madrid's have to both defend and attack. Unfortunately our midfield cannot do either convincingly!

De Jong gets a lot of praise on here as we all like to see crunching tackles and players getting in the oppositions faces BUT this has masked De Jong's weaknesses. Quite frankly I find the comparison with Mackele laughable! Yes, Mackele could also put in crunching tackles BUT he could pass the ball (forwards as well as backwards), De Jong's passing is shocking. On countless occasions simple 10 yard passes are intercepted and when you pass the ball you are supposed to move into space (I assume he was sick the day they taught that at kindergarten)! The closest player to Mackele is Essien, and watch how he plays and then compare him to De Jong. I have no idea what is going on with Barry but he has been a massive disappointment since he signed from Villa. Am I the only one who notices how often he falls over. I cannot think of a single player in the world who UNINTENTIONALLY spends more time on the floor!

The Midfield is the heart of any time, Barca's fluent football is built on the back of the Xavi-Iniesta partnership without them the likes of Ronaldinho, Eto'o and Messi would not be able to operate as effectively as they have done over the past decade. Defensive players should be able to pass the ball around with ease, not just win a tackle then play it back to the goalkeeper. Alsono, Mascherano, Essien, Xavi are defensive midfield players but they are brilliant passers of the pall and can all create chances. We do not have anyone in the team who comes close to them in terms of passing ability, which is why we cannot keep possession of the ball and create chances; as much as it pains me to say it even the likes of Carrick and Fletcher are miles better at passing the ball than De Jong and Barry. Mancini can only work with what he has got, to his credit he recognised our weaknesses in midfield straight away when everyone on this forum was still talking about our poor defense and he wanted Mariga, Gago, Flamini in the January window but unfortunately we could not get any of them.

I do not think a complete overhaul of our team is needed in the summer, like many on here have suggested as I just do not think that is healthy, BUT it is imperative that we sort out our central midfield. Achievable targets are Javi Martinez (Spain U-21 captain, crikey Spain really are producing top class central midfield players e.g. Xavi, Iniesta, Alonso, Fabregas!); Mascherano, and Yaya Toure. These are just suggestions I am sure Mancini can find the right players (he has a keen eye for spotting talent, he showed that not just at Inter but also at less fancied teams like Lazio).

Here's hoping Ireland regains his form and Vieira adapts well to the pace of English football again, as they are the only two players in our team who can move the ball around with consummate ease.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.