Internet Scams

@mackenzie I was shown how to spot a fake website, the very willing and helpful 20 something year old couldn't understand why I wasn't 'getting it'. It was supposed to be part of my job. Eventually it was agreed that he'd do that side of things and I'd do the rest.
We are not the computer generation and these scammers are very good. The simle rule is dont trust anyone but family or close friends.
Yes, it's certainly a minefield for some.
I'm pretty "aware" and careful about such things so if I'm not sure I just don't go ahead.
The lady concerned s a very nice individual and quite trusting of others to be "nice" too, but there are some horrible people out there. She was at work at the time and felt rushed I think, but it was definitely the fact they confirmed the item she had ordered that put her at a false ease.

Buying a house my cousin was scammed for the twenty thousand pounds deposit by a scammer in Romania it took months fighting the bank.
Complicated how the scammer knew he was buying a house, a young couple who should have known better.
Long story short the bank paid him back his money and he bought the house, but when asked for the deposit like an idiot he gave his bank details over the phone. Expert help got their money back off the bank

I'm a fucking computer geek, standard nerd, IT ****, whatever you want to call me, but here's some very basic advice which can help.

If you didn't seek it out, don't bother with it.
If it's too good to be true, it is.
If you've already given your payment details, you won't have to again.
If you're unsure about a phone interaction being insecure, tell them you're going to hang up, and call the official number from their website, for fraud reasons. A legit call will understand this, scammers will panic and tell you not to.

If people can think of more please post them. It breaks my heart that these cunts get away with so much praying on vulnerable people.

If you ever get an email with the words;

"We have changed our bank account details.."

Particularly in transactions involving large amounts of money such as property transactions, telephone the person you are sending money to (not using any contact details in the email) to confirm.

I had a series of calls from scammers a few years ago, so my number must have been in circulation at the time.

They called me, once, when I happened to be at the computer and I'd just had a virus attack to which I 'flattened' the software and started again. However, it had bothered me enough to take a call shortly after. Someone with an Indian accent called to say they had received an alert that I had been 'hacked'.

At first I was in the moment of the call and about to 'download their tool', when my ears started listening to the background. It just felt... 'different' to a normal service call. In fact I picked up others in the office saying similar things. I ended up stalling them til they got annoyed and the next several attempts (probably from the same office) I'd ask them to give me a sec and played them music or dialogue from films to listen to, to waste their time. Stopped getting the calls!

And I had one, recently, where the ambience with the caller sounded like he was in an empty room (he was a well spoken English speaking scammer), so I asked where his colleagues were. He put down the phone.

Tricky fuckers, aren't they?

I'm a fucking computer geek, standard nerd, IT ****, whatever you want to call me, but here's some very basic advice which can help.

If you didn't seek it out, don't bother with it.
If it's too good to be true, it is.
If you've already given your payment details, you won't have to again.
If you're unsure about a phone interaction being insecure, tell them you're going to hang up, and call the official number from their website, for fraud reasons. A legit call will understand this, scammers will panic and tell you not to.

If people can think of more please post them. It breaks my heart that these cunts get away with so much praying on vulnerable people.
Just add, if you get an email that you weren't expecting like Netflix or prime. Never click on the link. Open the official website to view any messages on there.

I got a phone call from and Indian sounding "Microsoft support person" a good few years ago to say I had a problem with my Windows and they needed me to follow instuctions to keep my account safe. Kept him taking for a while and mentioned I had double glazing a couple of times. He was getting quite irritated and shouted at me at one point "I mean Windows on your computer". Told him "aaaah", I didn't have a computer but I'd used one at work a few times. He was stunned when I said I didn't have a computer, even asked me if I was sure then he gave in and just hung up. Good fun and I wasted a good 20 minutes of his day.

@mackenzie I was shown how to spot a fake website, the very willing and helpful 20 something year old couldn't understand why I wasn't 'getting it'. It was supposed to be part of my job. Eventually it was agreed that he'd do that side of things and I'd do the rest.
We are not the computer generation and these scammers are very good. The simple rule is dont trust anyone but family or close friends.
If they can get money out of you then it's a very good scam.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.