Internet Scams

The more that face to face banking etc is reduced ( branch closures etc) the more the opportunities for scammers to take advantage.

My elderly parents get these calls every week. How come the BBC can track where the call centre is (Scam Interceptors)? Similarly, on YouTube there are loads of videos by scam buster types who often manage to get the scumbag's face up online. Makes me wonder how much is being done by the phone companies to protect us.

The more that face to face banking etc is reduced ( branch closures etc) the more the opportunities for scammers to take advantage.
I'm fortunate to have fraud protection set up.

A while back a hacker hacked into one of my accounts (bypassing 2TA somehow) and began making purchases on my card. My bank saw this, went "aye aye, something's not right here" and contested the transactions.

I got a text from them to confirm the purchases were legit to text Y or N. I texted N and the fraud department contacted me within minutes. I confirmed they were illegitimate payments, they never asked me for my bank details or personal info, just wanted verbal confirmation I was who I said I was by asking security questions I had set up. Got the money back 3 hours later.

I got a phone call from and Indian sounding "Microsoft support person" a good few years ago to say I had a problem with my Windows and they needed me to follow instuctions to keep my account safe. Kept him taking for a while and mentioned I had double glazing a couple of times. He was getting quite irritated and shouted at me at one point "I mean Windows on your computer". Told him "aaaah", I didn't have a computer but I'd used one at work a few times. He was stunned when I said I didn't have a computer, even asked me if I was sure then he gave in and just hung up. Good fun and I wasted a good 20 minutes of his day.
And your own.

My elderly parents get these calls every week. How come the BBC can track where the call centre is (Scam Interceptors)? Similarly, on YouTube there are loads of videos by scam buster types who often manage to get the scumbag's face up online. Makes me wonder how much is being done by the phone companies to protect us.
They gain access to your computer by using phishing techniques or by info bought on the dark web.

If you have ever bought anything online, that info is stored by that company. This info has since been revealed to have been "sold" to other businesses, so they can advertise to you online about products they sell that might interest you. Nothing major like card details, just things you bought, have searched, or may be interested in.

But this info has also managed to filter it's way to less reputable sources, who then sell it on further using the dark web, which criminals buy in an attempt to hack or gain access to you. All they need is an email address and you can be contacted.

For scambaiters though, this technique can be used both ways. All they need is their contact number (which they provide in order to scam you) and they work from there. They also sometimes have people working on the inside at these scam call centres, providing access passwords etc.

I’m very careful myself but have still had debit card fraud three times in recent years. I genuinely don’t know how they’ve got the details. Always refunded.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.