IPTV

Secondly the 4k can connect to the mains rather than be powered solely by a TV USB port.
The new firestick Lite I have is connected to a mains power outlet, I comes with a transformer plug same as 4k version...the only differences seem to be , no 4k (thats fine with me) and no tv controls on the remote (they actually don't work on my 4k firestick) picture seems just as good though on my non 4k tv.

Am I wrong in assuming that say 100 mb is the total download speed?
I know that if my family are all using say mobiles and I'm using the firestick it splits our download to total say a maximum of 100.

The total download speed will be whatever you’re getting on your router as the connected speed to your ISP. Ethernet speed or Wi-Fi speed in house is then how quick it gets from your router to your device. So you could have a 350mbps Wi-Fi connection, doesn’t mean you’re actually getting that speed from the internet though, just from your router to your device.

For any device, wired Ethernet if you can is the better option and for most people, whether that’s a 100mbps connection or a gigabit one won’t make much difference - and a lot of people don’t realise that a lot of the main routers can have ports with varying speeds on them too.

The total download speed will be whatever you’re getting on your router as the connected speed to your ISP. Ethernet speed or Wi-Fi speed in house is then how quick it gets from your router to your device. So you could have a 350mbps Wi-Fi connection, doesn’t mean you’re actually getting that speed from the internet though, just from your router to your device.

For any device, wired Ethernet if you can is the better option and for most people, whether that’s a 100mbps connection or a gigabit one won’t make much difference - and a lot of people don’t realise that a lot of the main routers can have ports with varying speeds on them too.
By wired internet do you mean LAN connection from my router?

Certainly I have found when checking download speed to my firestick and android box I get what I am paying for on 5 hz frequency via router on both devices.
WI fi connected mobiles reduce to about 50 from 300 at the router, FS or box.

Incidentally I change frequency by restarting my router via its button but if I get a local power outage (it happens frequently here) it somehow changes frequency whereas simple switching off electricity at my mains does not.
Important if speeds are different at different frequencies on fiber as mine is.

Last edited:
By wired internet do you mean LAN connection from my router?

Certainly I have found when checking download speed to my firestick and android box I get what I am paying for on 5 hz frequency via router on both devices.
WI fi connected mobiles reduce to about 50 from 300 at the router, FS or box.

Incidentally I change frequency by restarting my router via its button but if I get a local power outage (it happens frequently here) it somehow changes frequency whereas simple switching off electricity at my mains does not.
Important if speeds are different at different frequencies on fiber as mine is.

Yes, lan connection from the router.

What provider are you with and what speeds do you get on your router?

Have the new fire cube and the fastest you get from a Ethernet cable is around 90 WiFi on 5ghz is 270

Am I wrong in assuming that say 100 mb is the total download speed?
I know that if my family are all using say mobiles and I'm using the firestick it splits our download to total say a maximum of 100.

Ethernet from your router has 100mb (really about 93mb) for each cable.
Devices connected via wi-fi don't affect ethernet speed.
Obviously your broadband speed will determine what bandwidth is available.
If you only have 200mb download speed, then that is divided amongst all the connections.

Hardwiring always tends to be the best connection. Wi-fi can be flaky during streaming, as interference from other wi-fi networks/other wireless devices can cause buffering.

Anyway, as i said, no streaming service (at the moment) needs more than 100mb ethernet.

Have the new fire cube and the fastest you get from a Ethernet cable is around 90 WiFi on 5ghz is 270

That's because you are probably using the ethernet port directly into the device which is limited to 100mbps and is not a Gigabit port. Flabbergasting they have put such a crap port on a brand new and rather expensive device. You might be able to use a Gigabit USB to ethernet adapter in the USB port and get better speeds. It you are only streaming 90mbps is comfortably enough to stream 4K anyway. Quicker speeds only make it a bit snappier and better for downloading files and apps.

I use a second gen cube which has different ports to the 3rd gen and has a similar setup to the firestick with an OTG and Gigabit USB to ethernet adapter.

That's because you are probably using the ethernet port directly into the device which is limited to 100mbps and is not a Gigabit port. Flabbergasting they have put such a crap port on a brand new and rather expensive device. You might be able to use a Gigabit USB to ethernet adapter in the USB port and get better speeds. It you are only streaming 90mbps is comfortably enough to stream 4K anyway. Quicker speeds only make it a bit snappier and better for downloading files and apps.

I use a second gen cube which has different ports to the 3rd gen and has a similar setup to the firestick with an OTG and Gigabit USB to ethernet adapter.

fire cube manual says that portal is max out at 100

So the addition of a full Ethernet port in the latest Fire TV Cube is a good thing.

Just one problem, though. The port itself is what’s known as a 10/100 port, also known as Fast Ethernet. That means you’re not going to get beyond the theoretical speed of 100Mbps of data flowing through. And note that we’re talking about megabits per second in that 10/100 number, not megabytes. We’re talking speed, not file size.

For contrast, the top theoretical speed of Wi-Fi 6E on the Fire TV Cube is a ridiculous (but awesome) 9.6Gbps. Note the uppercase G there for gigabits, not megabits. That’s a lot more data moving around.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.