Is it just me or has Kolarov...

db79ctid said:
bluemoondays said:
That wasn't a bad decision in fairness to him there was no support for him in the box and with nobody to cross to he took the only option open to him.

There were a couple of occasions he made the wrong choice,however,the attack you are talking about had to be the one where 3 players were running into the box and a simple pullback would have set one of them up.

I think PB may be on the money with his suggestion that he isn't the sharpest tool in the box.....

Defensively he's getting better and better with every game for me. Pennant hardly got past him and hardly put any balls into the box, his positional play is good and his reading of the game is good. He's came up against Valencia, Lennon (For a short while) and Pennant, 3 wingers who many people on here would think would run him ragged and he's done fine against them. Problem is his distribution, not good enough and needs to improve a hell of a lot but he's worth keeping on for me

Not sure how anyone can come to the conclusion he made Pennant look world class but thats opinions for you

the weakest link in our team and nowhere near good enough for where we are going

seriously is he any better than Garrido was?

not for me

Balti said:

In fairness,he is.
I watched Lazio against Udinese a couple of weeks back and Garrido was awful,no pace and a shocking first touch,he was substituted at half time if i remember right as he was a complete liability.

Balti said:
the weakest link in our team and nowhere near good enough for where we are going

not for me

Still unsure myself... I do find it interesting that Jose wanted him so much and called him an extraordinary player.

vincent said:
Balti said:

not for me

Still unsure myself... I do find it interesting that Jose wanted him so much and called him an extraordinary player.

Simple. Mourinho was likely either pissed, or serie A had clouded his judgement. There is no doubt in my mind that Kolarov would look okay in Serie A. It's a slower paced league and more emphasis on sporadic bursts of power, rather than pace. Equally, many players take shots from silly distances in Italy. It is tolerated more. The PL is a completely different beast. A different cultural fabric. Kolarov is not suited to this league in any way shape or form. Germany or Italy yes. Spain or England no.

Kolarov is a very direct, attacking fullback that has had a tough first season in England. Many players struggle (remember Evra's debut and first season) to adapt to the pace of the Premier League straight away and his cause wasn't helped by a lack of pre-season training and then the injury at Spurs.

I think he has a very important role to play for us next season. Our style of play is similar to Arsenals in the way most of out attacking is done through the middle, rather than the flanks. If this isn't working, he will become better and better at raiding down the left as he gets used to playing at English pace rather than Italian.

Mancini knows his capabilities and if a more defensive LB is required for a game (like the Spurs game), then Zabaleta could well play as his decision making and positioning is better at the moment.

We have to stick with the spine of this years team as it has done pretty well and continuity brings spirit and success. Kolarov will only get better as he is nowhere near his prime years yet.

gio's side step said:
vincent said:
Balti said:

not for me

Simple. Mourinho was likely either pissed, or serie A had clouded his judgement. There is no doubt in my mind that Kolarov would look okay in Serie A. It's a slower paced league and more emphasis on sporadic bursts of power, rather than pace. Equally, many players take shots from silly distances in Italy. It is tolerated more. The PL is a completely different beast. A different cultural fabric. Kolarov is not suited to this league in any way shape or form. Germany or Italy yes. Spain or England no.

So that's me and Mou then. If he's so unsuited how have we managed to have our best season in decades? The clouded judgement is much closer to home I fear.

Too many people form an opinion early then let that cloud their future opinions.

Kolarov had a spell around new year where he looked absolutely awful. Since then he's been improving game by game. A few others have said it but Valencia, Lennon and Pennant who are all pace merchants got very little out of him. I do think he has that defensive instinct of when to drop off and when to get tight. Even reads attackers quite well - I did notice the players he got really desroyed by were that Blackpool reserve player and a Leicester? winger; maybe he does his homework on the PL wingers.

Offensively he's just an idiot. His movement is good; gets into decent positions a lot despite no out right pace. Just when he gets there his decision making is just awful, my only explanation is he feels the need to prove himself here with outlandish efforts or Lazio played a game based around high pressure so the ball turnover was rapid. Luckily I do think this can be coached with relative ease if it's addressed. If he can make the right decision most of the time he'll be an excellent full back.

In short I think he's getting better and has the inherent ability to become a top class full back just needs time and more coaching.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.