Is Mancini adapting his Inter tactics? [Tactics talk]

Blue Elmo said:
When he has got his fullbacks fit in boateng and kolarov , I presume he will scrap the wingers and get width from the fullbacks . He will stick with three in midfield and I think milner will occupy one of those roles and silva will be playing off of the front two which I think will be Tevez and Balotelli . But you scrap the wingers , you scrap one of our best attacking threats in Adam Johnson . If he was to play in the team he would play the role silva would play but with silva being david silva dn AJ being a natural winger , I just don't se him getting in the team.

I don't think that's a problem at all, AJ plays on the right most of the time, out of Boateng and Kolarov, Boateng is the more defensive, there will be plenty of scope for AJ to carry on playing on the right i think.

In fact that's really the point of the inverted winger system, it allows room for the full-backs to over lap. When you say a front 2 of Tevez and Balo, i don't think it will be really, Balo will play from the left, Silva still from the right, with Tevez in the middle.

Johnson is Silva back-up/rotation, although he plays a different way, Ade is Tevez back-up, and Milner offers a more solid, reliable option to play on the left instead of Balo (although i agree i think we'll see more of Milner playing in the centre).

I don't think AJ's chances will really be limited any more than they are now.

pee dubya said:
Blue Elmo said:
When he has got his fullbacks fit in boateng and kolarov , I presume he will scrap the wingers and get width from the fullbacks . He will stick with three in midfield and I think milner will occupy one of those roles and silva will be playing off of the front two which I think will be Tevez and Balotelli . But you scrap the wingers , you scrap one of our best attacking threats in Adam Johnson . If he was to play in the team he would play the role silva would play but with silva being david silva dn AJ being a natural winger , I just don't se him getting in the team.

I don't think that's a problem at all, AJ plays on the right most of the time, out of Boateng and Kolarov, Boateng is the more defensive, there will be plenty of scope for AJ to carry on playing on the right i think.

In fact that's really the point of the inverted winger system, it allows room for the full-backs to over lap. When you say a front 2 of Tevez and Balo, i don't think it will be really, Balo will play from the left, Silva still from the right, with Tevez in the middle.

Johnson is Silva back-up/rotation, although he plays a different way, Ade is Tevez back-up, and Milner offers a more solid, reliable option to play on the left instead of Balo (although i agree i think we'll see more of Milner playing in the centre).

I don't think AJ's chances will really be limited any more than they are now.

Judging by what I've seen from us this year, and what I vaguely remember of Inter under Mancini, I think you're right. What Silva on the right and Balotelli on the left allows us is the ability to have either of them move into the open space in the middle of the pitch in front of the opponents back 4 while the other 2 make runs into the box from their respected positions, with 2 of the midfield 3 providing support and ensuring that we retain possession, and the fullbacks providing width on overlapping runs.

Essentially, I feel like this allows us to have 2 forward attackers (out of the 3 forwards) and one in the hole. after we get position in the final third you end up with something like:

Balo----Tevez
Kolarov --------------------------------Boateng
Silva
Barry---------Yaya

The beauty of this system to me is it's fluidity, as the triangle 3 in the middle near the box can be completely interchangeable with Tevez dropping back into Silva's role and Balotelli coming in from the left. It simply gives us more options from which to set up the attack, and is less rigid than what even a 4-4-2 Diamond gives us, which seems to be what a lot of people are advocating.

Just my 2 cents, maybe it's overly optomistic.

jimbo101 said:
christen at St Marks said:
If I'm honest deep down I'm gutted with the system we are playing and keep on clinging to injury hopes,but deep down I'm gutted and hate the way we play.

I cannot understand people who think like this. This is far & away the most technically gifted set of players we have ever had. Mancini is trying to get them to play a highly tactical possession game. A veritable feast for football purists.
I for one have had my fill of watching limited players running about chasing lost causes whilst better teams simply pass us to death.
And what's that about hoping for injuries!!! FFS.
Forza Mancini

The reason you don't understand I couldn't give a stuff about ,the injures comment was aimed at Ballotelli, Kolarov and Boeteng getting back giving Bobby the benefit of doubt, I believe we have the best squad in the premier but every neutral fan would prefer Arse, rags or Chelsea style of play , If you were with me at the Newcastle game when we won 3-4 you might understand what I'm getting at I strongly expect you were not there FFS as you put it

DetCity said:
Judging by what I've seen from us this year, and what I vaguely remember of Inter under Mancini, I think you're right. What Silva on the right and Balotelli on the left allows us is the ability to have either of them move into the open space in the middle of the pitch in front of the opponents back 4 while the other 2 make runs into the box from their respected positions, with 2 of the midfield 3 providing support and ensuring that we retain possession, and the fullbacks providing width on overlapping runs.

Essentially, I feel like this allows us to have 2 forward attackers (out of the 3 forwards) and one in the hole. after we get position in the final third you end up with something like:

Balo----Tevez
Silva
Barry---------Yaya

The beauty of this system to me is it's fluidity, as the triangle 3 in the middle near the box can be completely interchangeable with Tevez dropping back into Silva's role and Balotelli coming in from the left. It simply gives us more options from which to set up the attack, and is less rigid than what even a 4-4-2 Diamond gives us, which seems to be what a lot of people are advocating.

Yeah that's the way i see it.

4pzjly.jpg

I did that a wee while back (ignore the bodies around De Jong, perhaps not in the best taste now), at the moment Toure does what i have Milner doing, and Barry what i have Toure doing.

pee dubya said:
DetCity said:

Balo----Tevez
Silva
Barry---------Yaya

Yeah that's the way i see it.

4pzjly.jpg

I did that a wee while back (ignore the bodies around De Jong, perhaps not in the best taste now), at the moment Toure does what i have Milner doing, and Barry what i have Toure doing.
Balowelly has played a lot of his football down the right, Silva has played predominantly middle of left side, so why is everyone on here assuming they'll play the other way round.

only two points.

at Fiorentina , Lazio and Inter Mancini has always been play two strikers. then will play two strikers.

Balotelli came to City to play center forward. he is not a wing. he does not track back and he's not able to defend. he has had a lot of fight against mourinho about it. then he'll play center forward. or , anyway , striker , not winger.

christen at St Marks said:
jimbo101 said:
I cannot understand people who think like this. This is far & away the most technically gifted set of players we have ever had. Mancini is trying to get them to play a highly tactical possession game. A veritable feast for football purists.
I for one have had my fill of watching limited players running about chasing lost causes whilst better teams simply pass us to death.
And what's that about hoping for injuries!!! FFS.
Forza Mancini

The reason you don't understand I couldn't give a stuff about ,the injures comment was aimed at Ballotelli, Kolarov and Boeteng getting back giving Bobby the benefit of doubt, I believe we have the best squad in the premier but every neutral fan would prefer Arse, rags or Chelsea style of play , If you were with me at the Newcastle game when we won 3-4 you might understand what I'm getting at I strongly expect you were not there FFS as you put it
Fair one on the injury point. Misunderstood you.
And no, I wasn't at the 4-3, but I remember it & numerous games like it. Lots of effort, great attacking play & woeful defending. Win 4-3 one week & lose 4-3 the next.
Entertaining in a kick & rush, blood & guts kind of way, but not the kind of 'grown-up' football Mancini is trying to get us to play.

Mancio said:
only two points.

at Fiorentina , Lazio and Inter Mancini has always been play two strikers. then will play two strikers.

Balotelli came to City to play center forward. he is not a wing. he does not track back and he's not able to defend. he has had a lot of fight against mourinho about it. then he'll play center forward. or , anyway , striker , not winger.

I'll defer to your expertise on this, as I never really watched Fiorentina and Lazio during the Mancini era, and didn't watch Inter week-in and week-out. Two questions, though, as you probably know better than me. First, didn't Mancini occasionally play a front three with Adriano and Ibra, and either Figo or Stankovic (depending on the year, of course) sometimes playing in a forward position? I seem to remember them doing so, and also being relatively fluid in their front line with who would drop back to link up play.

Second, do you think Balotelli could thrive as a wing if asked to do so? My imited experience in watching him play leads me to believe that his two footedness, his pace, and his combination of creativity and power would make him excel at that position.

Neil McNab said:
Balowelly has played a lot of his football down the right, Silva has played predominantly middle of left side, so why is everyone on here assuming they'll play the other way round.

I imagine they'll swap around regularly during matches, but so far Silva has played predominantly from the right side. I'm not suggesting we're playing Tevez up front alone with 2 wingers, i think it's a front 3, although with Silva generally a bit deeper, and i think they'll be playing from those sides, because if you're coming inside to link up play, you want to be coming onto your stronger foot.

Mancio said:
only two points.

Like i said, i'm not saying he'll play as a winger, i think he'll play like Anelka does for Chelsea, on the side of a front 3, and Silva playing a bit like Malouda, slightly withdrawn, except they'd be on the opposite sides.

We'll find out soon enough i suppose, it's probably a pointless discussion because it'll keep switching between various systems.

DetCity said:
Mancio said:
only two points.

I'll defer to your expertise on this, as I never really watched Fiorentina and Lazio during the Mancini era, and didn't watch Inter week-in and week-out. Two questions, though, as you probably know better than me. First, didn't Mancini occasionally play a front three with Adriano and Ibra, and either Figo or Stankovic (depending on the year, of course) sometimes playing in a forward position? I seem to remember them doing so, and also being relatively fluid in their front line with who would drop back to link up play.

you remember well , ibra-adriano(or cruz or crespo) + stankovic as trequartista was the normal way. Figo was used on right side as impact sub when needed width. sometime as trequartista for give rotation to Stankovic.

DetCity said:
Second, do you think Balotelli could thrive as a wing if asked to do so? My imited experience in watching him play leads me to believe that his two footedness, his pace, and his combination of creativity and power would make him excel at that position.

I think that if Mancini asks him Balotelli could also throw into the fire. but he is not really a wing, is not able to track back and defend. he is a striker , can start from centre left or right but just as striker. so it may do so only rarely and in special situations.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.