Is Mancini adapting his Inter tactics? [Tactics talk]

I think we'll play a 4141 next season. That's DeYong in a DM role and Dzeko/Balo as the main striker. The 4 in between will get stuck in to help when we are not in posession and attack as pretty much free agents when we have possession.

I might be completely wrong though.

TonyM said:
I think we'll play a 4141 next season. That's DeYong in a DM role and Dzeko/Balo as the main striker. The 4 in between will get stuck in to help when we are not in posession and attack as pretty much free agents when we have possession.

I might be completely wrong though.

I doubt we'll ever set up with wingers in a 4-4-2 variant, probably in a a 4-2-3-1 which I think we will play against the top teams.

Against less tough opposition I'm hoping to see a 4-3-1-2 (with NDJ playing deep, almost 4-1-2-1-2) more often with the option to change to a 4-2-3-1 by bringing on a winger if we need to chase a game.

Just thought I'd bump this thread as we're approaching the new season and after, ironically, beating Inter comfortably on Sunday. I love a good tactics talk!

We could play 3-5-2 very effectively:

Micah. Vinnie, Les.

AJ, Yaya, Nige, God, Milner,

Kun, Edin/Balo

Vinnie could bring the ball out with Yaya pushing on.

Posted this about Milner in another thread but think the general formation could have legs:

I think he'll be played in the domestic cup comps and be brought on to help close a game down in the last 15/20 minutes (a la Pat V) if I'm being honest. If we get a Nasri type player in then I think YaYa will play a bit deeper such as in the Barry role (but with more freedom to get forward). In front of them will be played Silva, Balo, Nasri (or the like), Edin, Johnson

...............De Jong........................
.............................YaYa...............
..Silva/A.J..........Kun/Nasri......Silva/Balo
......................Kun/Edin.......................

I think everyone in front of YaYa will interchange in a pretty fluid set-up, as we have the insurance of De Jong and YaYa to help break up counter attacks from the opposition. I believe Barry and Milner will cover for De Jong and YaYa (Milner possibly on the right towards the end of games) when when the latter need a rest. That's how I see it anyway. Obviously we may go more defensive when playing other top teams but we'll have to wait and see. Either way, that's a cracking forward line-up.

2 comments to make here.

Firstly, the 3-5-2 formation would be fun to watch, and Napoli used it to some success last year, so isn't completely off the wall.

Secondly, in every single formation I've seen over the past two years has always tried to put Yaya in the Barry role. The problems I see with are that Yaya can't play there, he hasn't played there and probably won't play there. Barry was a near ever present last season, and for good reason. He's not a fashionable player but he is indispensable to our team.

Yaya was arguably our best player last year outside of Tevez, and you all want to move him. This seems a bit dumb, you don't move your best player in to a different role, which he can't play anyway.

I don't believe Ya Ya to be a defensive midfielder either. He's not commanding enough in tight situations, it doesn't utilse his athleticism enough.

I dont think Mancini will move him from his position in the advanced role either, which begs the question of where Nasri would fit in if he arrived. With Balotelli and Silva certain starters for me in the wide positions, I'm not even sure he'd be in our strongest 11. With regards to Ya Ya in that advanced/hole role i think the manager prefers him with his physical presence there to shore up midfielder even further. Not sure Nasri gives you that, although he gives you sporadic creativity - similar but not as dominant in a game as Silva.

The alternative, and there have been signs of this pre-season, is to play one holding midfielder and two more advanced. I think one of the more advance d roles would suit him, possibly Milner in the other. De jong holiding of course. Despite Barry's influence last season, Milner might just be preferred this year. I think Barry's lack of pace might be the deciding factor there - although Milner's not quick either, he's quicker than Barry.

In summary I think you are right that Ya Ya will probably stay where he is.

Last year Mancini restricted the physical demands on Yaya and Silva. This year he'll expect more from them.

Yaya was signed as a box to box player but would have struggled to carry out that role effectively in his first year in the PL. Hence he was given a "half way line to box" role. This season he'll probably drop back into Barry's position but will still be expected to get forward (noticeably he scored the cup final winner 2 mins after Barry had been subbed and Yaya had droppped back).

Silva will play more centrally, in the position occupied by Yaya last year. He'll still drift out wide at times but most of our play will go through him.

Those two changes will allow Mancini to play an extra attacker in most matches.

cibaman said:
Last year Mancini restricted the physical demands on Yaya and Silva. This year he'll expect more from them.

Yaya was signed as a box to box player but would have struggled to carry out that role effectively in his first year in the PL. Hence he was given a "half way line to box" role. This season he'll probably drop back into Barry's position but will still be expected to get forward (noticeably he scored the cup final winner 2 mins after Barry had been subbed and Yaya had droppped back).

Silva will play more centrally, in the position occupied by Yaya last year. He'll still drift out wide at times but most of our play will go through him.

No he wasn't, Mancini himself said he wanted him because he saw him play attacking midfielder at Monaco and Olympiakos.

Damocles said:
cibaman said:

No he wasn't, Mancini himself said he wanted him because he saw him play attacking midfielder at Monaco and Olympiakos.
Spot on Damocles, everyone says that Robbie signed him as a defensive or box to box midfielder but in reality Yaya was a playmaker at Metalurg, Monaco and Olympiakos

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.