Is now the time to consider Mancini's tenure at the club

Ducado said:
ManCityFC said:
=
bluesimon said:
Dave - you get my point exactly. My rant would have gone on to include all of your points and masses more. It is actually difficult to make too many poor decisions with these kinds of players, but you get the sense that because of his lack of emotional connection to his players, they have become drones themselves - and tonight, he comes out and states very clearly - "Sometimes we take too many touches and we think, 'never mind, we can score next time,' but we can’t be like that - in football, it doesn’t work like that. We have to be stronger in the penalty area" . The players play to his plan exactly and then he publicly blames them for playing the tippy tappy football he tells them to play. His contradictions are amazing and if he had the tenacity to actually take on board his observations back to the training field and put them into practice, it would help.

The thing that is utterly terrifying about this statement: "Sometimes we take too many touches and we think, 'never mind, we can score next time,' but we can’t be like that - in football, it doesn’t work like that. We have to be stronger in the penalty area" is that it has taken until now to mention it. Like this is some sort of new problem. We were starting to see this happen at the back end of last season and it has gotten worse this season and is highlighted by the continued lack of form of the strikers. The beginning of last season, the football was breathtaking at times. The pace and movement was colossal, but he's trained that out of them, in favour of a slower and more controlled style of football. Why? Not a clue, clearly he has a plan, but its not been working all season. Is it to emulate Barcelona, unlikely, as Barcelona are stunningly quick. In fact, the lack of form of the strikers is a direct result of this change in my opinion. They seem to want to back away and walk the ball into the net. During the Reading game we had more attempts on goal by midfielders and DMs than AMs and strikers.

Also, for the record, I agree entirely on his tactical ineptitude. It's idiotic at times. End of the road, but thanks for effort and winning us the league and FA Cup.

To be honest as a City fan I feel very uneasy reading that, there is something in the tone of yours and a few others posts in this thread

In fairness, I'm uneasy writing it, coming from myself, a season ticket holder for donkeys years, that has really been very loyal to Mancini. But he just doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes. He just doesn't adapt, change or evolve. I can accept that someone needs to progress and learn their craft, and that will inevitably lead to mistakes, which is fine also - it's natural, but we all need to learn from them. He just doesn't seem to. There is a stubbornness about him that causes himself avoidable issues.

The lack of pace and movement this season has been shocking. He seems to have tried to train that tempo and movement that was so devastating last season, out of them, for some very bizarre reason. Its so very frustrating. The players that have left haven't been replaced with better or even 'on a par' players largely. We desperately miss De Jong. Nasty has been very good, but Miacon and Garcia....nope....not seeing it. Johnson showed today exactly what we have been missing and he won't even give Sinclair a run out....WHY, you bloody bought him?

I don't think he knows what the answer is, but, if your not part of the solution you must be part of the problem. Hopefully he can pull this around, I don't agree with sacking managers willy nilly, but something needs to change and his stubborn attitude doesn't fill me with any confidence that he can correct this. The rags aren't having a stellar season and we should be pulling away from them, but at the moment we're having them the title on a plate.

Blue Phil said:
I want Mancini out. This is not a knee-jerk reaction, I am not a glory hunter, a school child or a "rag".

This season we have regressed.

This summer we purchased Maicon, Garcia, Rodwell, Sinclair and Nastasic. Only one of these players has been a regular starter for us. Yet January arrives and still some people think that spending big again will solve our problems. It will not. No matter what people say, this is Mancini's squad and these were all his signings. It doesn't wash with me when people blame Marwood for signings like Sinclair but heap praise on Mancini for signing Silva and Toure. We already have a world class squad that should be doing alot better. Every time we lose there is a chance that Mancini will say "we need more players", why can he not look to the academy? Is Sinclair really worth his fee and wages when we have players like Suarez and Guidetti waiting for a chance?

Another issue i have is that Mancini has such an ego. He never learns from his mistakes. Last season at home Napoli sat back all game and scored one goal on the counter. So in the "must win" away leg you would assume that we would sit deep and not commit so many players forward. Right? No, what do we do? Commit as many men forward as possible and concede another goal on the counter (Cavani's second). This season was the same but with Ajax and Erikson. He is good at scoring from corners so in the second leg, carry on with zonal marking instead of man marking him. Genius. Today he took of Tevez and we finished with Lescott upfront. It would be comical if it wasn't so sad. Why keep Silva on today who gave the ball away time and time again? I know why because "i can take Tevez off, yeah that's right, i'll show him who's boss." Also why can he not just accept that Balotelli is a failed project? He acts like a clown off the pitch... and on it aswell! If Aguero had scored 1 goal in 13 then everyone would be on his back. But Balotelli? Nah, he's alright aint he 'cos he wears a glove hat and gives money to tramps! What's that? 3 red cards last season? Nah it's 'cos he is young, he will learn. Never mind the fact that he has been playing senior football for the last 5 seasons and hasn't progressed in that time at all.

As for his man management skills... This season Richards and Zabaleta have said that they prefer 4-4-2 instead of 5 at the back.
A. Why is Mancini not tailoring his system for his players?
B. Why're the players allowed to publicly question our tactics?
It wouldn't happen at any other top club. I hate to say it but can you imagine Camel gob criticising Fergie? No.

In my opinion bringing in Soriano and Begiristain is paving the way for Guardiola this Summer. I cannot believe people actually dismiss Pep's achievement at Barcelona. Don't forget this is the man that came in and sold Ronaldinho, Eto'o and Deco for the good of the team spirit. It takes balls to do that and it could of backfired horrifically. We need a radical shake up, someone to come in and get rid of Balotelli and Dzeko (whom i admire for his work ethic but please, my Nan has a better touch than him), someone who will look to youth instead of panic buying players like Sinclair and Maicon. In my opinion Guardiola is the only man who can make us a European power-house whilst unifying the squad.

Peace out.
I do have some issues with parts of this post.

1. We saw in the League Cup earlier on this season that Denis Suarez is not quite up to first-team standard yet. He has looked promising in a few EDS and academy games but the step up to the first team looks like a step too far at the moment, so it's not wise to throw him into a title fight just yet. Guidetti hasn't been playing because he's been suffering from a serious illness. He's back in training though, so he should be ready for a loan move to a Premier League team in the second half of the season.

2. Mancini kept Silva on today because he can more often than not produce something out of nothing. This is why it's always a surprise to see Rooney be taken off for United - because he's the player you leave on because you hope that he can split the defence or score from distance.

3. Mario is not being given special treatment where Aguero wouldn't. Balotelli is not a wasted project just yet simply because of his age and, again I will mention this, the potential to pull something from nothing. His performance against QPR on the day we became champions is an example of what we can expect from Balotelli if he gets his head screwed on. Personally, I think we give him one chance to drag us back into the title race this season - but if that doesn't work it will be time for him go.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
It shouldn't take just bad results to open a few more eyes.

The team is stagnating for good reason.

Mancini thinks winning the title last season makes him bullet proof.

His biggest failing is to himself. It is always someone else's fault for results going awry.

Bad Champions League draw x2, Marwood, Hart, Mario, referees, not having enough players.

We don't improve because Mancini does not feel he needs to improve himself.

Tho winning the title would make him bullet proof,and rightly so. . . .until the next chumps league debacle I reckon.

Mancini knows where is the problem.

It is probably in him so the only way to improve for us is getting those big players.

Not sure Txiki/Soriano supports this way. And if they dont Mancini has little time at City as results wont come without more and more top class players.

Mancini said that we had to step up and wanted 4 players early in the summer:
A good striker - the striker went to the rags and is scoring for fun.
A wide midfielder - He wanted Hazard -we got Sinclair. Hazard is having a good season. His alternative Stevan Jovetic is still at Fiorentina. Sinclair may as well as not be at City because he has never been given a chance.
A DM - he got two of these. Not the ones he really wanted. Both the ones he got are seemingly injury prone.
A Central Defender. He got a good one (Nastatic).

We got none of the non-defence options. Not one. If we had paid the required transfer fee and/or the required wage we would have got the players we wanted. The only reason I can think of is the effect of FFP. If so complying with FFP is hurting us badly - but at the same time Mancini has been badly let down.

We are where we are and Mancini has to deal with our problems with what he has. The next few weeks will show if he is up to motivating the team.

Incidentally, if he is fired it will cost the club £28m against FFP over the next three-five seasons - no matter what some hard core Anti-Mancini posters on here think. Certainly more expensive than paying the money for the players Mancini wanted.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
It shouldn't take just bad results to open a few more eyes.

The team is stagnating for good reason.

Mancini thinks winning the title last season makes him bullet proof.

His biggest failing is to himself. It is always someone else's fault for results going awry.

Bad Champions League draw x2, Marwood, Hart, Mario, referees, not having enough players.

We don't improve because Mancini does not feel he needs to improve himself.

In all honesty we must admit that the squad has not improved in any way with the signings and we have regressed a bit. When was the last time we played to the level of trashing spurs 5-1 or the first half against Newcastle? Not that much ...the squad is imbalanced too much strikers only silva the one creating chances and before we know it he will be burnt out. There a lot of problems that need addressing and the summer seems like the time we see if it happens.

Ray78 said:
Blue Haze said:
This might be shaping up just the way Txiki and Soriano want. The bad summer transfers were on Marwood's watch, the poor poor performance attributable to staff they didn't hire and players they didn't buy.

I think they will pull the trigger on Mancini at the end of the season or earlier if we start free falling. Mancini can still save his job if he turns things around and wins the league, but that's a hell of a feat when the new CEO and DOF probably want their own manager in.

Just guessing, of course. Put yourself in their shoes for a moment. Would you want your jobs dependent on a foreign manager you didn't hire, or your own countryman who won you everything at Barca? It's not hard to figure out what they logically desire.

No doubt, however the trick is to persuade Pep to take the job.

Bluemooners would do well to consider why we have hired Soriano and Begiristain in the first place. Is it to develop our academy? No. Is it to help get the best out of Mancini? No. Is it to wheel and deal on the transfer market. No.

Of course they can help with these things, but that is not why we hired them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.