Is Rodri better than Yaya ?

We’ve been blessed with all time great midfielders in recent years

Rodri
Yaya
Silva
Fernandinho
De Bruyne

would all have shouts for a best ever premier league XI

my personal opinion is De Bruyne is the best of the lot , the word genius is bandied about a lot these days but this guy has genuine magic in his boots

Not sure in the reason for this comparison , both brilliant footballers and different in many ways , Yaya was the better attacking player Rodri the better defensive player ,but there is nothing between them , i am just grateful i have witnessed two of the greatest ever Premier league midfield players in a blue shirt.
Grateful for Yaya for starting the influx of big name footballers into the club and grateful for Rodri for that goal in Istanbul and his serene football ability.

Rodri and Yaya play in similar positions so it's a debate worth having, not a goalkeeper and an outfield player you plank.

With all due respect, regardless of 'how you meant it' some people are going to respond to the specifics of the thread title.

All of the team that are on the pitch/ squad are "players", regardless position, so if you're asking about "better players" you can't be kicking off over a posters definition when yours is not position specific in the title.

As has been said plenty, Touré has played in 4 positions as a "player", maybe even more than that as I don't know what he did at PSG, really.

Oof, controversial! My personal view is...

Kompany led us superbly on the pitch, held the defensive line and drove the team better than anyone since Paul Power (to me).

Aguero scored goals.

I'll put my tin hat on...
In my opinion, Kompany was a 21st century Andy Morrison. The heart of a lion, a true leader, and as brave as anyone could be.
As a centre back, compared to players like Dave Watson and John Stones, I thought he was quite limited, but his main strength was that every player who played alongside him became a better player. He genuinely lifted those around him.

Aguero was, quite simply, a genius. From his first kick in a City shirt, right to his last, he was a joy to watch. Right up there with Maradona and Messi in terms of ability. We'll never see a better forward at City than Sergio. He was the best.

Yaya had the better goalscoring record. Yaya had the better passing range (although Rodri's isn't too shabby and Kev is just as good with the long passing).

Rodri has twice as many career goals as Yaya did at the same age.

You’re remembering 13/14 and pretending it applied to his entire 20 year career.

Now maybe Rodri won’t have a season where he scores 24 goals at 30, but he’s got 8 this season so far, I expect him to get comfortably in double figures without taking 10 pens like Yaya did (and as I previously mentioned Rodri does score 100% of his pens), so if given a bit more license to go forward (ie if we get another good defensive midfielder) then I think he could match Yaya for non-penalty goals.

I think Rodri’s shown he scores big goals in big games too, which Yaya was famed for.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.