Is the football bubble finally about to burst?

Discussion in 'General football forum' started by Bill the Blue, 11 Apr 2020.

1. KentBlue

KentBlue

I think for many us, falling out of love for the game has been a long and slow process: but in all sincerity we should have seen it coming. Like others on here I too am a bit long in the tooth - 63!
    I have fond memories of how the game was all those years ago, it was for the working classes in those days. Grafting all week then off to the football on a Saturday afternoon...bliss. But when the money started rolling in, around the mid-80's, probably, it changed. The rags were buying anyone and everything and nobody else had a chance to compete. Refs, linesmen etc, all going out of their way to ensure the pisscan got his way. It wasn't football anymore, it was one extremely rich club lording it up over us others. And with that nasty jock bastard in charge, coupled with a fawning media and thousands of plastic Asian supporters everywhere in their club shirts, my dislike turned to sheer hatred for the club - but mostly hatred for that fucking poisonous Glaswegian and his odious hangers-on.

But the time I really thought of giving it up was taking my son to Elland Road (I think we lost 3-2) and the sheer hostility we encountered from their supporters, and the threat of violence hanging in the air put me off ever going to a game again.

It might be an age thing, I really don't know. But I've had a burning resentment towards what has happened to the game I've loved all my life because it is not the game that I grew up with.

BrianW, Mozzer, wayneoski and 7 others like this.
  2. Ban-jani

Ban-jani

Hopefully.

It needs to collapse and start again.

The authorities and media need binning and the grip certain clubs have in proceedings.

Football is a wonderful game of 22 men and a referee, kicking a ball, between two goal posts and people enjoying watching it, everything else involved is expendable.

3. ballinio

ballinio

Great post, feel the same , the arse licking media , the cheating & VAR have destroyed the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

4. Bill the Blue

Bill the Blue

Team supported:
    The only football team to come from Manchester!
    Cheers Bill..!

I appreciate you telling us how you feel and I'm sorry to hear you're at the end of the line..

However, I'm of the opinion that you will not be alone in deciding to call it a day..

Like you say, it's not just about the current situation, it's about the manipulation, FFP, VAR, UEFA's ongoing witch hunt against us and the way it's packaged up in general for fans' consumption that has tipped it over the egde for me..

The coronavirus situation has enabled people to take stock and evaluate what's important and what's not..

Football and the PL in general has been exposed..!

Quickly, on another issue, you made me smile when you posted your haircut picture that your wife gave you the other day ..

Nothing wrong with your haircut btw Bill, your wife did a great job..

My turn this afternoon as my Mrs is going to cut mine..
    I allowed her to cut it once before, years ago and I was a laughing stock for about 3 weeks..

She's got the same look in her eye this time round too ffs!!

Luckily I don't know how to post pictures on here..!

Is it too warm to wear a hat for 3 weeks solid 24/7?

Blueknows likes this.
  5. dickie davies

dickie davies

It's been like that Mitchell and Webb sketch for a few years now (football football football) and this break has brought home how much we've been saturated with the game. Added to that I think people have woken up to the gravy train which has totally disillusioned an awful lot

6. BigJoe#1

BigJoe#1

I agree, there will never ever be such a moment ever again and sadly, that has reduced my appetite for football. It will just never be repeated.

The Corona Virus episode will in my opinion (and has in my case) reduced interest further.

Football if it's to survive needs to take a good long guard look at itself.

It could start with Sky going back to reducing their cost to watch the games, I realise this will reduce sponsorship money which in turn will mean players might have to start struggling by living on 50k a week.... my heart bleeds.

Blueknows likes this.
  7. Franknorgrovesnephew

Franknorgrovesnephew

Football in my opinion has been going down hill these past few year's sadly

ballinio and Blueknows like this.
  8. Blueknows

Blueknows

hope it is as I like many others have had it with football , I will still have a place in my heart for city but my days of attending games are over

FightLikeAGirl likes this.
  9. give it to gordon

give it to gordon

Team supported:
    Manchester City
    Just sitting in the back garden watching the Aguero moment again and again. Knowing that with VAR it will never happen again. The joy of scoring a late winner has gone like Sterling against spurs this season. That unbridled moment of shear joy has been taken away from what made football so great.