Is the league cup enough for you?

Did the boys upstairs expect us to win the league / champions league in the first season of a new management team in charge?

At this stage for me any trophy in a season is enough, you don't have a divine right as previously pointed out in this thread no matter how much you spend ie scum or how pretty you play the game ie the arse!

We have got a great squad which helped us get out of the group stages of the champions league, quarter finals of the fa cup and still in with a shout of the title and we are the only club this season with a trophy in the cabinet.

Course its enough but it wont have to be, I have a feeling we are going to see some magic from the boys in blue between now and the end of the season, the pressure is elsewhere now and we will fly.

One pot; a successful season?

I post knowing full well that the title is still there to fight for.

If, however, at the end of the season we have 'merely' Champions League qualification and the Capital One Cup, how do we assess the (football) year?

A qualified success? Adequate? Disappointing?

And how do our owners view it?

What would be a good season next year in the circumstances?

My own view is that our season would be deemed adequate and I suspect at least two pots next season plus improvement in the Champions League would be the minimum requirement.

TFC said:
Course its enough but it wont have to be, I have a feeling we are going to see some magic from the boys in blue between now and the end of the season, the pressure is elsewhere now and we will fly.
Agreed. I for one can settle for the football I have seen this season (perhaps not counting the odd away game) but I am enjoying being a Blue and it sure as hell beats all those years when I was just a Blue but still proud to be one. Now a proud blue enjoying my football and very conscious that as soon as you expect or take for granted the success you earn you become a ***l. So if the worst come to pass- yes I would be happy looking to our continuing journey with the future looking extremely hopeful.

League Cup and second is an improvement assuming you accept winning the League Cup is better than being runners up in the FA Cup.
League Cup and third is totally uninspiring but in real terms the effect is pretty much the same as finishing second.
League Cup and fourth will be a disgrace and could hamper signing players before we know whether we're in the group stages (which will be right at the end of the window). League Cup and fourth and failing to qualify would be absolutely pitiful for everybody except those who think York was a regular occurrence not the only season we've ever played at that level.
But finishing as anything other than champions might raise questions as to why we've been unable to break down bus-parkers for two seasons, why we can't break at pace as a team, and more worryingly why we can't find the right blend of skill and muscle. But as I said on another forum; we have the most skilful team in the league and it's hard to complain about that.

wayne71 said:
I'm grateful for any trophy but its not enough for this team.

That's how I view it.

From a personal level I am grateful of seeing City winning any sort of trophy but in all honesty that mentality comes from when your team has not got the quality that sees them expectant to win trophies.

For this team to only win one league and one league cup in three seasons despite having the best overall quality in those three seasons is a massive underachievement.

I think there is a big mental block over our players as I don't think they truly believe they have what it takes to have that self belief of being champions, there have been many big games in all competitions when they have chocked.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.