Is the league cup enough for you?

sam-caddick said:
wayne71 said:
I'm grateful for any trophy but its not enough for this team.

That's how I view it.

From a personal level I am grateful of seeing City winning any sort of trophy but in all honesty that mentality comes from when your team has not got the quality that sees them expectant to win trophies.

For this team to only win one league and one league cup in three seasons despite having the best overall quality in those three seasons is a massive underachievement.

I think there is a big mental block over our players as I don't think they truly believe they have what it takes to have that self belief of being champions, there have been many big games in all competitions when they have chocked.

There's been a lot of talk about having the best players/squad for the last three years - but it just isn't that simple. It takes time to get a squad to gel, regardless of the player quality, and at the same time change the mentality of the whole club into winners. We started building a team around Mancini and it became obvious last season that the style of management wouldn't reach the level of success the owners aspire to so took the decision to make the change. Whilst it could be said we are under-achieving, there are mitigating circumstances this year with the new playing and coaching systems and fitness issues with players in key positions. These will not be issues next year.

willy eckerslike said:
sam-caddick said:
wayne71 said:

That's how I view it.

From a personal level I am grateful of seeing City winning any sort of trophy but in all honesty that mentality comes from when your team has not got the quality that sees them expectant to win trophies.

For this team to only win one league and one league cup in three seasons despite having the best overall quality in those three seasons is a massive underachievement.

I think there is a big mental block over our players as I don't think they truly believe they have what it takes to have that self belief of being champions, there have been many big games in all competitions when they have chocked.

There's been a lot of talk about having the best players/squad for the last three years - but it just isn't that simple. It takes time to get a squad to gel, regardless of the player quality, and at the same time change the mentality of the whole club into winners. We started building a team around Mancini and it became obvious last season that the style of management wouldn't reach the level of success the owners aspire to so took the decision to make the change. Whilst it could be said we are under-achieving, there are mitigating circumstances this year with the new playing and coaching systems and fitness issues with players in key positions. These will not be issues next year.
True but you look at the competition

Liverpool - people would have laughed in your face if you said they won finish higher than us this season.

chelsea - Spent a lot but have a very young squad and still no top striker.

Arsenal - no real depth to their squad

united - fuck knows whats happened to them considering they finished 11 points clear last season.

You look at our squad and the majority of players are at their peak and good number of them have been together for a few years now. Yet their has been no real improvement since the title win.

greasedupdeafguy said:
willy eckerslike said:
sam-caddick said:
That's how I view it.

True but you look at the competition

Liverpool - people would have laughed in your face if you said they won finish higher than us this season.

chelsea - Spent a lot but have a very young squad and still no top striker.

Arsenal - no real depth to their squad

united - fuck knows whats happened to them considering they finished 11 points clear last season.

You look at our squad and the majority of players are at their peak and good number of them have been together for a few years now. Yet their has been no real improvement since the title win.

I'm not sure it's that straight forward.

Yes, few people were tipping Liverpool to be real contenders, but plenty were aware that their form over the back end of last season was excellent. Couple it with the fact of having very few distractions/additional cup matches, and getting lucky with injuries, and it's perhaps not all too surprising that they're up there.

Chelsea are obviously lacking a striker (of Mourinho's own choice, it should be added), but they're hardly a young squad (Terry, Lampard, Cole, Cech, Etoo ...). They too have got lucky with injuries - i.e. they seem to be have been able to field the same back four for pretty much every game as far as I can tell? Their midfielders may perhaps lack the quality of Fernandinho and Yaya, but they've still got good options, and every bit as much depth as we have. With regards wingers/attacking midfielders, I definitely give them the edge: Hazard, Oscar, Willian, Schuerrle, Salah (+ Mata for half a season). There's also been a much more marginal transition in their style of play from Benitez to Mourinho compared to us going from Mancini to Pellegrini.

Arsenal lack depth in certain areas (again, notably up front); but they too have got far more options than we have in terms of attacking midfielders/wingers (Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ozil, Cazorla, Rosicky, Podolski, Ramsey), for example.

So I don't really buy this line that we have a bigger/far superior squad to everybody else. We have very few options to rotate in the centre of midfield for example. And we've been hampered by lengthy injuries to key players (Aguero, Kompany) and by having three players (Richards, Rodwell and Jovetic) who have hardly been available at all. Zabaleta, for example, looks absolutely goosed at the moment, simply because he's had to play every game with Richards being unavailable.

Having a good team is one thing, but to win trophies will always be tough. Makes you respect the Chelsea team a lot more since their takeover they've never gone a season without winning something. This season could be different for them but their core players will always be remembered as a bunch that achieved greatness. For us atm were under achieving, especially if we don't win the league but hopefully it'll change over the next few seasons.

Armaan said:
Having a good team is one thing, but to win trophies will always be tough. Makes you respect the Chelsea team a lot more since their takeover they've never gone a season without winning something. This season could be different for them but their core players will always be remembered as a bunch that achieved greatness. For us atm were under achieving, especially if we don't win the league but hopefully it'll change over the next few seasons.
2010 - 2011 season?

But I get your point they have been a trophy winning machine and it seems to be ingrained in their youth system as they've been in four of the past five youth cup finals. Still if we win the league this season, we would have won exactly the same amount of titles that Chelsea won in their first six years after the abramovich takeover and we started off at a much lower level.

The thing that worries me about chelsea is the potential of their squad.

Courtois - 21 and already one if not the best keepers in the world.
Zouma - 19
Azpilicueta - 24
Matic - 25
willian - 24
Hazard - 23
Oscar - 22
salah - 21
Schürrle - 23
Lukaku - 20
Van Ginkel - 21

Once they add a top striker (looking likely to be Costa) they will be a hell of a side. You look at our squad and apart from Aguero and Jovetic all our players are going into their 30s and at their peak.

greasedupdeafguy said:
The thing that worries me about chelsea is the potential of their squad.

Courtois - 21 and already one if not the best keepers in the world.
Zouma - 19
Azpilicueta - 24
Matic - 25
willian - 24
Hazard - 23
Oscar - 22
salah - 21
Schürrle - 23
Lukaku - 20
Van Ginkel - 21

Once they add a top striker (looking likely to be Costa) they will be a hell of a side. You look at our squad and apart from Aguero and Jovetic all our players are going into their 30s and at their peak.

Yeah. Mourinho wasn't lying (for once) when he said City are built for now, Chelsea more for the coming years.

City have put together a squad to add trophies and prestige to the brand NOW. That's why I think the club will be less than pleased if we don't win the league and have to settle for the 4th most important pot (which, I have to clarify to avoid the 'York away' brigade, may be enough for many of our fans but try to think from the club's perspective).

These players are capable of sweeping up trophies and I don't know why they aren't really. You won't find a better bunch of professionals than Kompany, Yaya, Fernandinho, Zabaleta and Aguero (when fit) to lead your team.

I think our transfer strategy now will be to go for younger players like Mangala and hope our increasingly impressive academy bears some fruit soon, or otherwise we could be in a position like Milan were (aging squad, restricted by FFP to spend lavishly and rebuild it).

For a squillion pounds per player per season I expect us to win the World Cup and the Olympics and a Nobel prize ;)

I said at the start of the season that top three and progression in Europe was the aim and while the title was certainly a possibility and still could be a reality that objective and achievement sat ok with me.

Any domestic trophy would come as a bonus but the main game for me not necessarily for the owners is the premiership.

To win both Chumps and the league title in any year is not that easy as only one team can possibly achieve it.

Its enough for me this season but won't be enough next season and I doubt will be enough for the owners either.

willy eckerslike said:
sam-caddick said:
wayne71 said:

That's how I view it.

The last one to some extent could continue if we don't manage our soft tissue prevention and risk management far better.

This could mean a change in relevant personnel or changing the way we play on match days as the vast majority of injuries to calfs , groins and hamstrings have occurred on match days as opposed to in training.

Soft tissue injuries are more about how you play and how smart you manage your body on match days.

You only need to look at Frank Lampard.

His injury time over many years has been largely a result of impact injuries which to a large extent are beyond your control.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.