Is WW3 Literally Around The Corner

You make a reasonable point.
I also think Thatcher welcomed that war to boost her flagging popularity. I still have great pity for all who died needlessly.
i dont think they died needlesley, Argentina was the aggressor a military Junta who invaded the Falklands which were under British sovereignty ocupied by British subjects, they got the protection they needed and which they were entitled to at the time and rightly so,IMO probably the only thing Thatcher did that i agreed with was sending the task force, a political stunt from her not a chance, that war alone near crippled the country and she was warned prior to engagement of the financial cosequences, she had a very small window to decide the course of action probably days rather than weeks, i was very proud and still am of our soldiers and Navy for what they achieved out there and i'm sure never forgotten

Last edited:
i dont think they died needlesley, Argentina was the agresor a military Junta who invaded the Falklands which were under British sovereignty ocupied by British subjects, they got the protection they needed and which they were entitled to at the time and rightly so,IMO probably the only thing Thatcher did that i agreed with was sending the task force, a political stunt from her not a chance, that war alone near crippled the country and she was warned prior to engagement of the financial cosequences, she had a very small window to decide the course of action probably days rather than weeks, i was very proud and still am of our soldiers and Navy for what they achieved out there and i'm sure never forgotten
Yes Argentina was the aggressor and I feel sorry for the hundreds of Argentinian lads who died, mainly on the General Bengrano. (not just the Brits) They followed orders and are now dead.
It was a pointless war, it couldve been solved diplomatically by international sanctions without any loss of life. It would never have happened under a Labour Government. But Thatcher got everyone flag waving.

Last edited:
Yes Argentina was the aggressor and I feel sorry for the hundreds of Argentinian lads who died, mainly on the General Bengrano. (not just the Brits) They followed orders and are now dead.
It was a pointless war, it couldve been solved diplomatically by international sanctions without any loss of life. It would never have happened under a Labour Government. But Thatcher got everyone flag waving.
I detested Thatcher, I'm from a mining family. And yes she used the war to win re-election. But I have no doubt that if Labour had been in power, or even any other Tory leader, the Falklands would have become las Malvinas. Then again, she couldn't have done it without U.S. support, her friend and admirer Ronnie Reagan was a big help.

I detested Thatcher, I'm from a mining family. And yes she used the war to win re-election. But I have no doubt that if Labour had been in power, or even any other Tory leader, the Falklands would have become las Malvinas. Then again, she couldn't have done it without U.S. support, her friend and admirer Ronnie Reagan was a big help.

Thatcher sent Nicholas Ridley to Argentina in 1980 to offer the falklands to them as it had been considered a pain in the arse protectorate since the 60s and hampering trade, the deal was we officially relinquished soveriegnty but leased back the islands for a period of years while the population adjusted. Talks went tits up in 81 and he came back saying an invasion was expected and inevitable.
As with most things in politics, willingness to avoid conflict was not as compelling as seeking popularity of the people for two governments strugling.

The junta needed the invasion to deflect and stop the growing protests against them, Thatch needed something to stir up britains peoples subconscious jingoism.

As always the UN is pointless in disputes where reaply it should be mediating once talks broke down and helped avoid what happened.

The same trait is still used when governments want to win popularity go for the patriotism and flag waving.

This is a criticism of governments btw not those sent out to fight who did their duty and should be respected and acknowledged.

No more than any other year.

The main crisis is gonna be in a decade or so when mass famine hits the southern hemisphere, north africa and the mediteranian and causes more migration as places become unihabitable.
Not sure if anyone has picked up on this, but this is so true. Migration pull is strong now, hate to think what it will be like in decade or so. So many factors in play, war, famine climate etc. Countries like the UK and Scandinavia are going to be much sought after. Grim times to come I'm afraid

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.