Isco

Surely you mean the boat chose a different port?

We did everything we could to get Isco, but when Madrid is your other option, and you're Spanish, you ain't choosing Manchester.
Well, that might be true - but Pellegrini was our manager, so our chances must've been better, since Pellegrini was in charge when he got his breakthrough in Malaga.

Well, that might be true - but Pellegrini was our manager, so our chances must've been better, since Pellegrini was in charge when he got his breakthrough in Malaga.
Our chances with Pellegrini were better than if we'd not had him as manager, but clearly still not enough to overcome Madrid's lure.

but when Madrid is your other option, and you're Spanish, you ain't choosing Manchester.

I never get comments like this

It happens all across the board on every thread

This reverence to Madrid and Barca

Just because you're a spanish/spanish speaking player doesn't mean you'll find Madrid or Barca the holy grail

Just like the UK all player will have their favorite club...doesn't mean they would chose for example United/Chelsea just because they were big UK clubs

Maybe they do have more of a draw...but A spanish player is just as likely to support Atletico and loathe Real

Just because you're a spanish/spanish speaking player doesn't mean you'll find Madrid or Barca the holy grail

Just like the UK all player will have their favorite club...doesn't mean they would chose for example United/Chelsea just because they were big UK clubs

Maybe they do have more of a draw...but A spanish player is just as likely to support Atletico and loathe Real

It's not quite as simple as that. Because Barca and Real have monopolised La Liga for decades, most supporters of the less successful teams will also "support" one of Barca or Real. I know many people from all over Spain, Gijon, Malaga etc and in Champions League games they've cheered for Real or Barca. They would want their local team to do well but being realistic they also would support Real or Barca in winning La Liga. Not the case perhaps for fans of Valencia and Atletico but Spanish football is a lot less "hardcore" than the English divisions and other foreign leagues. You can see that in the number that travel in away games for Barca/Real. The majority of their fans are what we would call plastics. It is different over there - you know you'll win things with Real or Barca and you know you might not win anything with any other club, their monopoly of the league has led to a lot of the population choosing one of them to have as a second team, just so they can at least celebrate something.

Isco may not support Real through and through but he will have grown up with them being one of the two major sides in Spain and probably had a desire to play for them. For me though, the reason he went to Real boiled down to his agent (his Dad I believe) having huge fee demands and City being unwilling to pay them. We went hard for him but we didn't want to fork out that extra money on what we saw as an unnecessary part of things.

I think we missed the boat on Isco. Much as I'd love to see him at City, he's one of Real Madrid's regular players.

Thing is once everyone's back from injury will he start? Kroos modric and Rodriguez midfield and bale Ronaldo benzema up front.

My comment had nothing to do with who Isco may or may not support, although SuperCity88 makes some great points on that.

I was referring to the fact that Barca and Madrid usually contribute about 80% of Spain's first team and bench, so if you have aspirations of playing for Spain, then moving to Madrid or Barca is a good idea.

Also, Madrid offered him the greater opportunity to win the Champions League and allowed him to remain in the country of his birth, where he knows the culture and speaks the language.

My comment had nothing to do with who Isco may or may not support, although SuperCity88 makes some great points on that.

I was referring to the fact that Barca and Madrid usually contribute about 80% of Spain's first team and bench, so if you have aspirations of playing for Spain, then moving to Madrid or Barca is a good idea.

Also, Madrid offered him the greater opportunity to win the Champions League and allowed him to remain in the country of his birth, where he knows the culture and speaks the language.

Again you're missing the point

Just because you are Spanish, Doesn't automatically mean you want to play for the big two

As for the Spanish national team...If you are good enough, you're good enough...irrespective of what team you play for...the reason Barca and Madrid have 80% of the squad is in direct relation to my first point...this reverence of them and their seemingly bottomless transfer kittys that hoover up the best talent

Again you're missing the point

Just because you are Spanish, Doesn't automatically mean you want to play for the big two

As for the Spanish national team...If you are good enough, you're good enough...irrespective of what team you play for...the reason Barca and Madrid have 80% of the squad is in direct relation to my first point...this reverence of them and their seemingly bottomless transfer kittys that hoover up the best talent
The “if you’re good enough, you’re good enough” argument might apply to the very best, but when selecting squad players, national coaches are much more likely to pick players who are used to playing with the rest of their squad, so playing for Madrid gives you an advantage.

We’ve seen it plenty of times in this country with average players from United and Liverpool being selected for England ahead of much more deserving players from “smaller” clubs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.