It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

I don't think we are a player short:

Foden/Grealish Haaland/Alvarez Mahrez/Palmer

I imagine we'll sign a RW once Mahrez goes next summer.
I understand your reasoning. I guess the question is are Foden and Grealish left wingers or is one of them go to play more centrally in due course ? Equally Mahrez is 31 and has a year left on his contract. I guess my perspective is that as it takes a year for a player to settle, now maybe better than waiting until next year. There are definitely going to be changes coming this year and next given the ages of certain players and contract situations. Anyway, what do any of us know, Pep will have it sorted.

We’d have four that can play there effectively. Don’t forget Bernie’s deeper role later in the season, and my money would be on a Cancelo conversion in the same way Pep converted Kimmich.
I'm not forgetting Bernie, that's why I mentioned him. Some posters are trying to shoehorn in a formation change based on the logic that Phillips wouldn't come if he wasn't going to play a lot of minutes.

The only reason Rodri wasn't rested considerably more last year is that Fernandinho was a fossil and Rodri was a machine. We can't rely on Rodri to do that every season and we can't go into a season with one senior holding midfielder. That's the logic for City. It doesn't need to be anything more than that.

As for Phillips the move could be for any number of reasons. He'll still get considerable minutes in one of the best club sides in the world. He'll be competing for every trophy on offer. He'll get a wage bump. He'll no longer be in a relegation fight every season. If he expects to displace one of the best midfielders in the world in his position then more power to him.

Last thing I'm gonna say on it is as you are confusing what you think will happen with what Pep has done in the past. Pep played both Garcia & Sane when it was obvious that Garcia wanted to go back to Barca & Leroy had been tapped up by Bayern.
Me too….Garcia made 19 PL apps over two seasons at a time where we had injuries, six of those in his second season, Sane played once due to injury in his last season, neither situation supports what you are saying. The facts are when a player starts to look or sees himself at another club, then Pep & the club will also start planning ahead which usually leads to less playing time for said player, an uncomfortable truth maybe but it’s a fact

Whilst Phillips wouldn’t be my pick, I do think all this talk of ‘he’s coming here to be backup to Rodri’ is absolute nonsense and a touch disrespectful.
The fact that Rodri looks better in our team than he does playing for Leeds and England, can’t be a huge surprise but, if he comes here, he will believe that if he shows enough in training and on match days, he can get a place in the team, and that’s exactly how it should be.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.