It's Quiet 17 - Glory Thread

Well Pep did say we have Cancelo Ake and Esbrand be interesting now if we don’t get Cucurella who we go for now, maybe we go for a right back that makes Cancelo are main left back then Ake and Esbrand back up

I know people will dig me out over this but I really don’t think cancelo is that good.

He's not great defensively, and he isn't ever going to be. But that's the case with a lot of full backs. Trent is a pretty poor defender but the defensive system provides cover for that with Henderson often backing him up. Similarly, we usually have a CB covering that space in behind Cancelo, with Walker shifting over and Rodri dropping in. Where we get into trouble is with that switch of play, that Liverpool used to great effect, because there would be an overlap behind Walker and no one covering it.

It's only an issue against the top teams really, but it is an issue. I do believe Cucurella would solve it. He's a very balanced player. I'd have liked to see JWE play - he's got pace which would have got him covering the space in behind better. He's excellent on the ball and probably has a more natural desire to defend rather than attack, which is the opposite with Cancelo. What a test it would have been for him, to see if he could play more of a role this season.

Cancelo did have a particularly abysmal game. His touch was off, his positioning was poor and he didn't seem arsed about running after Salah!

Both of our full backs are beginning to concern me.

Walker relies solely on his athleticism,his technical ability is poor and his positional sense on crosses is none existent.At almost 32,we need to have a replacement lined up.

Cancelo is far too casual and selfish,his mistakes are usually very costly in terms of turnover/loss of possession. He has become more of a liabilty than an asset in recent times.
Agreed. Might be walking on thin ice here, but I think Cancelo is massively overrated. He’s capable of doing incredible things and will at times look like the best full-back in the world, but he’s very ineffective. For every good involvement (pass, cross, tackle etc.) there’s at least 2 bad ones. The very definition of a high risk, high reward player. I’d love to see Kabore in a slightly better league, seems like we could have a Walker replacement already at our club. Also have very big hopes for Rico Lewis, but at 17 he’s needs least 2 more seasons

I know people will dig me out over this but I really don’t think cancelo is that good.
No its all about opinions, I personally love watching him play. Granted he is not the best defender, especially at left back, and in another team he would be a total disaster, but the way we play and the way he fits into the scheme I think he is a great fit. He is in my top 5 current city players. But I can see why you don't rate him.

When on it, he's fantastic and a proper joy to watch. When not, he's frightening to watch purely because of defensive responsibilities.

He's a better left back than he is right back purely because his attacking seems to benefit from cutting up/curled passes.

I'd rather have him in our team than him play for a rival, though.

He is undoubtedly talented and was on fire at the start of the season but lost form badly

I'm still not convinced he is a full back, he doesn't play well facing his own goal, he is worse at right back than left back

If we did bring a lb in I could see him playing wide mid as part of that rotation
He's not good enough either to be competition for the wide positions with grealish, foden, mahrez, alvarez, even Palmer.
He's a 'modern fullback', probably started off as a winger but wasn't good enough so moved back and isn't very good at defending. I've never been his biggest fan but he is a top member of the squad still.
A proper left footed left back who can time an overlap will balance the team and we will see the best of grealish and haaland (in my uneducated opinion anyway). Hopefully it is cucurella as I like him, if not him I have no idea who

The problem spots are defo LB, RB and for me RW. LB the obvious or. RB we need to bring in Kyle's replacement now I think. We saw how catastrophic losing his influence on the right was in Madrid. And rw I have little faith in Mahrez. Sometimes he can be a world beater but it feels like those games are fewer every year. Though I'm very much on board with the idea of playing Alvarez off that wing

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.