It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

They may not the same impact but for this season we will still notice their losses in the team. Kovacic signing is a good one and is so far showing encouraging signs but still will take time to fully adapt. Mahrez was good for 15 goals last season and was always useful for getting double figures throughout his time at City.
Up to Jack and Foden to stand up so now and fill the void left. It's time we looked at full season Phil after a bit of a break. Get him on the right week in week out and we will cook

Alvarez also needs more minutes on the pitch so I don't necessarily see replacing Mahrez as an absolute must.

Up to Jack and Foden to stand up so now and fill the void left. It's time we looked at full season Phil after a bit of a break. Get him on the right week in week out and we will cook

Alvarez also needs more minutes on the pitch so I don't necessarily see replacing Mahrez as an absolute must.
While I agree we don't to bring in a new signing to replace Mahrez but the team will miss him for this season.

While I agree we don't to bring in a new signing to replace Mahrez but the team will miss him for this season.
Absolutely agree. He's a diamond who never let Pep down regarding the role he wanted him to play. And his numbers stack with the best of them.

But I kinda want Foden to blossom and we're losing years if we are going to see his absolute max potential. That's not to knock him, just want to see the next level for him and if he rotates the 8 and wide right with Bernardo then I reckon we see amazing things.

And what about his contributions for the first 2 years of our current 3 PL win. Not just the PL but the CL as well. Did you manage to factor that in your absolute shit take.
Mathematically, the second of those seasons was his great 24 goal season in 21-22 (mentioned) & the other he didn't score more than 15 goals total / 11 league goals (also mentioned, and as with his other 4 seasons with us).

I don't understand what isn't clear (or did you just require a primary school maths explanation in order to understand ?).

I am grateful to Mahrez for his contribution, but his departure represents opportunity. He had great strengths in technique and goals and assists but was not the most athletic, nor most determined to win possession, IMO. My personal choice would be for Palmer and Bobb to try to make that position their own, but the potential front-line of Grealish, Haaland, Alvarez, Bernardo, Foden, Palmer, Bobb and McAtee is as exciting as it gets in world football, and is blessed with technique, work-ethic, goals, assists and skill. At some point, you have to give some of the academy boys the chance to really stake a claim, rather than claim the odd minutes here and there.

Didn’t we try to buy Bellingham for over £100m and then Rice for £90m?

I agree with your overall point, on the miney side.

I keep seeing people claiming we missed out on Bellingham, he was our top target etc.

At no point were we ever linked with Bellingham, anywhere. Other than wishful thinking and excitement on here, not seen anything to suggest we were ever seriously after him as a target.

Don't get me wrong mate, the figure I used is a rough estimate. But if we factor in the Mahrez fee, that's basically paid for Kovacic. And we've made around 30-40mil off youth talent thus far, yet are still being ultra-cautious.

It's interesting you say you're relaxed, because I'm the opposite. It feels like we're happily standing still; someone referenced it the other day but it's post-2012 winning season vibes with this window.

We may still win the league next season, but I do think the teams around us are strengthening. It's about forward planning at this stage; that's why Gvardiol is so important as a long term investment. It worries me that there are no credible links to another top class midfielder and a winger to replace Mahrez.
Yes, I mean it might change once I get in immersed and caught up in the hurly-burly of another league campaign, but at the moment I’m still in the afterglow of what we’ve done. We basically completed football last season, and so if we didn’t win a trophy for the next 5 years, I honestly don’t think I could complain.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t wanna see us get relegated, but if we “only” finished say top 4 next season, and didn’t win any trophies I’d still be happy.

Oddly, cos we’ve never had chance to win them before, the 3 biggest games of the season for me are the European Super Cup on 16 Aug and the (hopefully) two World Club Cup games in December.
Those are the ones I really want this season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.