It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

I should have explained my response wasn't aimed at you personally, it's just a point I've made in general about our fans believing in miracles & disregarding the process we must go through.

During his first season, many of our fans were calling Pep "The Bald Fraud", "Fraudiola" & the rest. What are they saying now?

The same could also be said about Stones, Cancelo, Rodri, Sterling, Grealish etc when they first arrived at the Etihad. They're our players & for better or worse it's incumbent on us to support them, ESPECIALLY when they're going though a difficult period.

I mean, imagine what it would do for Philips' confidence if we cheered when he came on & sang a song in his name?

He'd know we understood his difficulties & that we we had 100% faith in him & were behind him all the way. We supported City at our worst in the old 3rd division.

We should also support players when they need it most. We're City fans, not Rags or Dippers & we are increasingly forgetting this. )(
Yesterday when Philips came on we also made a few other changes and then took off Grealish which isn't really ideal for him to fit into the team..I think if we had only taken Rod off and put Philips on he would have had a much better chance of performing..

I was agreeing with you by the way about not judging a player on limited appearances in his 1st season under Pep

Yesterday when Philips came on we also made a few other changes and then took off Grealish which isn't really ideal for him to fit into the team..I think if we had only taken Rod off and put Philips on he would have had a much better chance of performing..

I was agreeing with you by the way about not judging a player on limited appearances in his 1st season under Pep
Agreed. If it was just a straight swap for Rodders, Philips would have been OK, but it seems we were resting players & trying to figure out what to do with their replacements once they'd got on.

Pep seems to fancy Palmer playing centrally which I just don't get. I've never seen him impress there, so why play him in that position ahead of Grealish or Foden?

Ultimately, we got the three points, rested several key players & suffered no injuries, so all's well & all that Jazz...

I should have explained my response wasn't aimed at you personally, it's just a point I've made in general about our fans believing in miracles & disregarding the process we must go through.

During his first season, many of our fans were calling Pep "The Bald Fraud", "Fraudiola" & the rest. What are they saying now?

The same could also be said about Stones, Cancelo, Rodri, Sterling, Grealish etc when they first arrived at the Etihad. They're our players & for better or worse it's incumbent on us to support them, ESPECIALLY when they're going though a difficult period.

I mean, imagine what it would do for Philips' confidence if we cheered when he came on & sang a song in his name?

He'd know we understood his difficulties & that we we had 100% faith in him & were behind him all the way. We supported City at our worst in the old 3rd division.

We should also support players when they need it most. We're City fans, not Rags or Dippers & we are increasingly forgetting this. )(
I agree with your sentiments. However, pep is playing stones in the pivot role with Rodri and not Philips. He should be learning while playing with Rodri especially in this new system.

I like any genuine blue, hopes he turns it around but he also might not and we will need to address that if and when the time comes. I understand rodders is on fire but he should at least be playing alongside him instead of John.

It kind of suggests the boss does not trust him. All players take time to settle and he may come again. If he performs like he did yesterday then it’s a concern. Imagine if Rodri was out, would pep play Philips? Not at the moment.

I agree with your sentiments. However, pep is playing stones in the pivot role with Rodri and not Philips. He should be learning while playing with Rodri especially in this new system.

I like any genuine blue, hopes he turns it around but he also might not and we will need to address that if and when the time comes. I understand rodders is on fire but he should at least be playing alongside him instead of John.

It kind of suggests the boss does not trust him. All players take time to settle and he may come again. If he performs like he did yesterday then it’s a concern. Imagine if Rodri was out, would pep play Philips? Not at the moment.
Nope, Gundogan or Stones would be in there instead.

Agreed. I was talking to a mate about this a few weeks ago when he cited Brighton. Brighton have a different ethos to us. They buy players to play immediately, whereas we buy players with the intention of easing them in.

Brighton's players learn on the job. Ours learn over an extended probationary period before it seems to click for them.

Because we're fighting on so many fronts, with such high expectations we can rarely afford players the chance to learn as we try to compete.

I recall fans calling Rodri shit when he first arrived, saying he was more a pound shop Busquets, where we needed a Fernandinho clone.

However Rodri's just become Rodri. A player in his own right who other clubs are now referring to players as a Rodri type. When he first arrived, did anyone think he'd be this effective in a Rodri way?

I was struggling to see it, but he's made CDM his own, albeit being a totally different type of CDM to Fernandinho. I think Philips was earmarked as that direct Fernandinho replacement, but he's had few chances to impress.

Rodders has proved THAT crucial to us, that the drop off is too great between him & Philips at the moment. I honestly hope it works our for Philips, & I for one will give him my full support until he hopefully finds his feet & feels at home.

Agreed. I was talking to a mate about this a few weeks ago when he cited Brighton. Brighton have a different ethos to us. They buy players to play immediately, whereas we buy players with the intention of easing them in.

Brighton's players learn on the job. Ours learn over an extended probationary period before it seems to click for them.

Because we're fighting on so many fronts, with such high expectations we can rarely afford players the chance to learn as we try to compete.

I recall fans calling Rodri shit when he first arrived, saying he was more a pound shop Busquets, where we needed a Fernandinho clone.

However Rodri's just become Rodri. A player in his own right who other clubs are now referring to players as a Rodri type. When he first arrived, did anyone think he'd be this effective in a Rodri way?

I was struggling to see it, but he's made CDM his own, albeit being a totally different type of CDM to Fernandinho. I think Philips was earmarked as that direct Fernandinho replacement, but he's had few chances to impress.

Rodders has proved THAT crucial to us, that the drop off is too great between him & Philips at the moment. I honestly hope it works our for Philips, & I for one will give him my full support until he hopefully finds his feet & feels at home.
He also comes across as a good lad. Which for me is more important than his qualities as a player. He might still play a vital role this season.

He also comes across as a good lad. Which for me is more important than his qualities as a player. He might still play a vital role this season.
Hopefully he can make a meaningful contribution by the end of the season, but I think a month off, a good pre-season & he'll be given a fair chance to prove himself next season.

I've seen some promising things from Philips recently, but unfortunately we don't have the margins available to play him allowing the opportunity to get up to speed at this crucial point of the season, where a defeat means it's over for that competition.

Regardless, I'm sure this season's been a massive learning curve for Kalvin. If he's made of the right stuff, this season's experiences won't do his character any harm...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.