It's Quiet 18 - Wanna ring the bell?

I'm only questioning the attitude many are having of being dismissive of Alvarez's abilities. He's been one of our best players and will be missed. Bobb might end up being amazing and we forget all about Julian. But history tells us this rarely happens. I'm pulling for Bobb and think he's an exciting player. But he's not in Julian's class...yet...
Not one person has been dismissive of Alvarez’s abilities, what’s been said is he isn’t displacing Haaland so Alvarez’s best abilities aren’t suited to getting into out first 11. That much is obvious. Also obvious is players like Bobb, Savio, maybe even McAtee their best positions are better suited to were there may be opportunities to play games and they won’t expect to be certain starters.
That’s not saying those players are better or worse, just different players at different stages of development ,probably where Alvarez was 2 seasons ago.

The disrespect toward him in the last few days has been appalling. He said absolutely nothing wrong in the press, but some have almost entirely fabricated the downplaying of his contribution in the previous season.

Given Dallas was quoting me, I am assumed that was geared to me.

I don’t think having an opinion on Alvarez different to yours is ‘appalling’. I don’t think he’s a difference maker and that’s fine. He’s a good player, but not good enough to nail down a starting place for us.

The times he’s played on his own up top, he’s looked a bit lost and out of the game - 5 goals, including 1 penalty, in 2024. His link-up is his best asset and that’s why we saw his best football played behind the striker. But we have Kev and Phil both vying for that spot who are both far superior players to what Alvarez is.

He’s not a winger (not his fault) and he’s definitely not an 8 (again, not his fault) which means his best position is in that role behind the forward. And when he’s played there, I just can’t get on board with him consistently being a difference maker.

£80m is a ludicrous fee for the player he is and I’m not surprised we snapped their hands off without much of a (public anyway) negotiation - Bernie-esque.

He’s a good player. I’m sure he’ll improve. But I don’t think he’ll reach the heights needed to ever be a stalwart in our side. Hope I’m wrong because, as you said, he’s never said or done anything wrong but it’s all about (differing) opinions.

Given Dallas was quoting me, I am assumed that was geared to me.

I don’t think having an opinion on Alvarez different to yours is ‘appalling’. I don’t think he’s a difference maker and that’s fine. He’s a good player, but not good enough to nail down a starting place for us.

The times he’s played on his own up top, he’s looked a bit lost and out of the game - 5 goals, including 1 penalty, in 2024. His link-up is his best asset and that’s why we saw his best football played behind the striker. But we have Kev and Phil both vying for that spot who are both far superior players to what Alvarez is.

He’s not a winger (not his fault) and he’s definitely not an 8 (again, not his fault) which means his best position is in that role behind the forward. And when he’s played there, I just can’t get on board with him consistently being a difference maker.

£80m is a ludicrous fee for the player he is and I’m not surprised we snapped their hands off without much of a (public anyway) negotiation - Bernie-esque.

He’s a good player. I’m sure he’ll improve. But I don’t think he’ll reach the heights needed to ever be a stalwart in our side. Hope I’m wrong because, as you said, he’s never said or done anything wrong but it’s all about (differing) opinions.
I honestly didn't even read your comment. It wasn't directed at you but comments in general that I'd seen. I'd have preferred he stayed, but I absolutely agree that the fee we got for him was bigger than I could have ever expected. It allows for Bobb to potentially get a lot more minutes as well, so it was a win/win.

I honestly didn't even read your comment. It wasn't directed at you but comments in general that I'd seen. I'd have preferred he stayed, but I absolutely agree that the fee we got for him was bigger than I could have ever expected. It allows for Bobb to potentially get a lot more minutes as well, so it was a win/win.

Yeah agreed mate. I’d rather Bobb get Alvarez’s minutes. Maybe it’s academy bias but he just seems to be more on the front foot when he gets it, edge of the seat type stuff.

Not one person has been dismissive of Alvarez’s abilities, what’s been said is he isn’t displacing Haaland so Alvarez’s best abilities aren’t suited to getting into out first 11. That much is obvious. Also obvious is players like Bobb, Savio, maybe even McAtee their best positions are better suited to were there may be opportunities to play games and they won’t expect to be certain starters.
That’s not saying those players are better or worse, just different players at different stages of development ,probably where Alvarez was 2 seasons ago.
Very similar to what I'm saying...but if Alvarez isn't good with being a back up striker and as far as I'm concerned no one can blame him then we have better options in the AM/8/winger positions...he gets an opportunity to be the main guy up front and we get a substantial financial windfall...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.