It's Quiet thread 14 - 'do one' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be a fairytale to see Messi in a City shirt and if the finances can be made to add up then why not, my only concern is if this was to happen at the expense of other areas where we need long term improvement in the squad.

We have supposedly had something 'massive' on the go for a while.

I do wonder if it is Messi again.

Lets look at it another way - if its NOT messi who could it be.

Massive could suggest two things...

1. The player himself - who fits that category - Messi and Ronaldo do (it wouldnt be Ronaldo - now way he would do that to the rags) - who else fits that category of player...Mbappe (he has already said he doesnt want our project (though of course he could have changed his mind - but again i doubt it) - which other individual players fall into this category? Neymar, Lewandowski, Harzard, Benzema, Kane (as you have already suggested- I bloody hope not personally)

2. It could be WHO we are signing the player from. A major rival (Utd Liverpool Chelsea or Bayern)

We have heard this type fo report about something "massive" going on numerous summers and it hasnt ever really come to fruition. Messi has usually used us (or at least his agents have) to get better deals but the political landscape in Barca has changed and mayeb he really is that unhappy -

But i just do t see him moving here

And then there is the question of whether we do want him. For me he is indivudually the best player Ive ever seen - but there are some major factors that come with a player of such magnitude - Wages - and the impact on other players wages/club wage structure. His age - he is coming to the end of his career and while he remains an amazing player we know the prem is a much more physical league - is he at the wrong time of his life to start adapting - Im sure he can but does he want to and what impact would it have on his game?
Does he fit into what Pep is trying to achieve? Would we have to build our team around him?

EDIT: Just seen TH's further posts.

If we are after Messi we just have to trust the hierachy that the negative impacts dont materialise. As a player no one is better. He will get kicked from pillar to post in the prem and delibertely targeted by teams and opposition fans alike

The backlash will be like nothing we have ever seen from opposition clubs, managers and especially the media - they will be waiting every second from his arrival for him/us to fail and they will take EVERY opportunity to hit us with it.

Last edited:
Would you be amazed if people turn their noses up at Cristiano Ronaldo?

People have their reasons.
To be fair they are very different reasons, people turned their nose up at peak ronaldo 5 years ago, those that turn their nose up at Messi probably wouldn’t have 5 years ago.

I get it, youre a fanboy and you want to buy a City shirt with his name on the back. Your dedication to an individual over a team is cute. But there is no guarantee he will be anywhere near as good at his age and in a league which is totally alien to anything he has experienced in his entire professional career.
This season has cruelly demonstrated we need pace and athleticism throughout the team. We need our forwards and midfielders to press like madmen. A brilliant but ageing flair player on a final payday contract, last seen with hands in hips in the centre circle as Bayern ran past him at will, does nothing to address that
Fucking hell, you make him sound like Yaya Toure when he was leaving us ! The guy has just posted a 25 goal and 21 assist season in 33 games, while being surrounded by the same players who got owned by bayern.

Either UEFA or the PL would put a stop to it with some “new” regulation on FFP even though it is supposedly being relaxed, though I have to wonder if CFG could sign him and offset his wages using the Silver Lake money and then lease him to us...don’t imagine it could be done, but no-one else in football has a powerhouse like CFG behind it...also, as has been said, the sponsorship money this kind of deal could bring in to CFG even in these COVID affected times would be significant...

for Messi, I think that’s so much money that could be better spent elsewhere. Look at the Ronaldo gamble now fucking up juve

where would you play him? He can’t be front 3 cos he can’t press. maybe Silva’s role?

i think the boats sailed on him. It’s a year too late.
IF we did buy him I'd like to see him on the right of a front 3.

Sterling Aguero Messi

KDB and Phil with a solid DM, in midfield.

I think one problem is Messi, and to a point ronaldo, over 10/15 years have normalised what is far from normal. So a lot think just like any other player their form will suddenly drop off. But what he has isn’t form and even as he does tail off he will still be better than many those younger players at their peaks.

Like Federer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.