It's Quiet thread 14 - 'do one' edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
They beat us home and away last season. So yeah, we probably shouldn't assume anything on that one.
I’m assuming nothing but we shouldn’t fear them. I wouldn’t assume anything against Norwich or anyone else, as last season proved, but what’s that got to do with our transfer policy?

True but wouldn’t he have paid for himself on a free transfer with the commercial aspects ?

It’s been well publicised that HH no longer funds the club from his own pocket.

Either way going into the season with one fit striker is pretty disgraceful for a club supposedly serious about winning the title.

that’s because he’s not allowed to fund the club from his own pocket ... or we’d be slung out of Europe (again). The club has to fund itself

We're not worse off either. We have the same CBs as last season plus Ake, so I'd say we're better off in defence. A RCB would be ideal and I suspect we'll sign one but even if we don't, I believe well be stronger than last season.
We saw last season that all 4 of our right sided centre backs weren’t very good at defending. One of those used to be brilliant as a DM, but as the season wore on he turned out to be not too reliable at CB, partly because of how high we defend. Otamendi is Otamendi. He isn’t getting any better. Stones is going backwards. Garcia wants out, but wasn’t overly convincing as an actual defender... but was decent on the ball. It’s a giant hole that we’ve had months to fill, years if you consider Kompany going. Ake is a plus and will hopefully allow us to confidently rotate Laporte and perhaps Mendy given the sheer volume of games, but the other side, as it stands, is a shit show for a club of our resources.

Our midfield proved to not be overly reliable and we haven’t improved that at all. I’m sure we’re hoping Foden comes good but I can’t see him being trusted there. An injury to DeBruyne and we’re in huge trouble.

In the forward line it’s fingers crossed for Aguero or hoping Jesus suddenly turns his xG upside down.

I’m hoping we muddle through our opening games, which is possible short term, and that we move to address our weaknesses. If we don’t we won’t manage over a league campaign, domestic cups and the Champions League with what we have. If we don’t improve there’ll be big issues, particularly with a manager with less than 9 months on his contract.

That's simply not true. Ake and Torres isn't better than Sane and Silva. Our squad isn't stronger.
100% and because I dont have 745 post I'll get abuse for the next bit. When the likes of Lyon, Norwich and United were beating us, at no point did I think "You know who we need...Nathan Ake!". Torres i have no clue about so cant comment on. I hope he can replace Leroy, but they are big boots to fill. The only way we get stronger is to by that CB we are crying out for, a LB and a CM who can defend. Rodri is a poor fit not a bad footballer but not the midfield enforcer we need. Same with Gundo, not shit but not the type to get stuck in in a battle!

Difficult to say but I don't think we're much different in terms of quality to the squad of the previous few years if we can keep everyone fit.
Keep everyone fit? We always struggle on that front, and this season will be like no other, we will be playing weekend and midweek more often than not. No way this squad as it stands compete's for 90 odd points, and goes deep in the CL and domestic cups, we need more quality.

We saw last season that all 4 of our right sided centre backs weren’t very good at defending. One of those used to be brilliant as a DM, but as the season wore on he turned out to be not too reliable at CB, partly because of how high we defend. Otamendi is Otamendi. He isn’t getting any better. Stones is going backwards. Garcia wants out, but wasn’t overly convincing as an actual defender... but was decent on the ball. It’s a giant hole that we’ve had months to fill, years if you consider Kompany going. Ake is a plus and will hopefully allow us to confidently rotate Laporte and perhaps Mendy given the sheer volume of games, but the other side, as it stands, is a shit show for a club of our resources.

Our midfield proved to not be overly reliable and we haven’t improved that at all. I’m sure we’re hoping Foden comes good but I can’t see him being trusted there. An injury to DeBruyne and we’re in huge trouble.

In the forward line it’s fingers crossed for Aguero or hoping Jesus suddenly turns his xG upside down.

I’m hoping we muddle through our opening games, which is possible short term, and that we move to address our weaknesses. If we don’t we won’t manage over a league campaign, domestic cups and the Champions League with what we have. If we don’t improve there’ll be big issues, particularly with a manager with less than 9 months on his contract.

Spot on.

The transition is going to be painful at times. Losing so many great players and trying to replace them is a huge ask.

We may have to accept that it will take time to rebuild under FFP.

I am still optimistic we will finish the transfer window strong but if not it could well be a fight for top 4 until the right players are found and integrated into a winning team.

Corrupt wankers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.