It's Quiet Thread 15 - Txiki Blinders

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't the scouts that set up the super league you know?

And no disrespect but I think suggesting that these clubs might want Sterling because they're poorly run is a weak argument.

Real Madrid want Haaland and Mbappé too? Is that a message that we should steer clear?

Your points are reasonable even if I disagree with them. But I maintain my perspective that I've read enough times on here to believe that people genuinely think he's a bad footballer. Hyperbole or not they believe it. Maybe you don't feel that way, but plenty do. That's a fact.
At this moment in time, if you had to sell one of our wide forwards, which would it be?

No one is suggesting he is awful. People are suggesting he’s had a bad season. If City believe he’s either lost something or has returned to his natural level, the smart thing to do would be to sell high whilst other clubs don’t realise this.

Thats all conjecture of course and it could well be that Raz has simply had an off season. Maybe fan involvement raises his adrenaline Etc.

City don’t sell top players, so him going is unlikely, unless his wage demands are too high.
Your last sentence is the telling one, he has two years left and the club will not want to offer a wage like KDB’s on an extension when the return is not there. Plus we won’t want to end up in a Sane situation with a contract being run down and having to sell on the cheap in a years time. This also fits into bringing in new players, if we want Haaland and Grealish we have to move someone out for a sizable fee.

Could be totally wrong on the above but it all makes sense.

Your last sentence is the telling one, he has two years left and the club will not want to offer a wage like KDB’s on an extension when the return is not there. Plus we won’t want to end up in a Sane situation with a contract being run down and having to sell on the cheap in a years time. This also fits into bringing in new players, if we want Haaland and Grealish we have to move someone out for a sizable fee.

Could be totally wrong on the above but it all makes sense.
Yeah, it feels like the second contract that a player signs at a club now dictates whether they stay longterm or not, at all clubs.

As money has diminished in football due to the pandemic, clubs aren’t going to be as willing to increase player’s wages as much. This may cause a merry go round of transfers as other teams will offer much more.

This feels rather divergent from the original point of people calling Sterling a bad footballer.
Indeed, although we’ve agreed to disagree on that point. My follow up question was to see where you perceive Sterling to be in our wide forward positions.

Indeed, although we’ve agreed to disagree on that point. My follow up question was to see where you perceive Sterling to be in our wide forward positions.
To answer your question, Torres. Although I'd hate to sell him.

Foden has potential and is currently playing great. Mahrez is currently our best winger. And Sterling has 3 seasons of wonderful goalscoring form to suggest that he's worth hanging on to in case he gets back to it, which doesn't seem farfetched. In fact Sterling's goals arguably make him the most valuable to keep of the 3 (although Foden could overtake him).

Torres has great potential but he's not there yet, so we'd lose out the least by some way if he went.

Although we don't need to sell any wingers, and I doubt we will. Unless Sterling pushes for something (and we've only heard rumours of him set to sign an extension), he's staying.

To answer your question, Torres. Although I'd hate to sell him.
Fair enough. He’s an unknown quantity for us at the moment, so I am reserving judgement on him.

The only way Sterling gets sold is if Pep and the club perceive the offer received too good to refuse and have a replacement lined up or Sterling rejects his contract extension offer.

Fair enough. He’s an unknown quantity for us at the moment, so I am reserving judgement on him.

The only way Sterling gets sold is if Pep and the club perceive the offer received too good to refuse and have a replacement lined up or Sterling rejects his contract extension offer.
True, but you could say that about literally any player.

True, but you could say that about literally any player.
Indeed. Sterling is at the 2 years left on his contract and has had a poor season. This is probably what is driving our fans to call him “awful”. It’s their way of allowing a major cog in our team to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.