James Milner - Why Buy Him?

King Geedorah said:
Milner is the man who makes Yaya in a two man midfield work. Without James we're too easily over run.

How many games has Milner started at home and how many times have we been overrun in that time?

Like I've said Milner is this mythical saviour who is talked about alot when we appear to be struggling and talked about rarely when we are winning.

Last 6 games last season, pressure on...6 wins. How many Milner appearances? Nil.

In fact in his last 5 games las season we won 1 drew 1 and Lost 3.

should have at least been on the bench at real.

when nasri went off milner would have been a much better option than kolorov.

hope he plays and stars tomoz

Wrighty Wrexham said:
should have at least been on the bench at real.

when nasri went off milner would have been a much better option than kolorov.

hope he plays and stars tomoz

True, but Mancini did not know Nasri was going to get injured, if he did Milner would of been the man to come on. He should have started though.

I still cannot get my head around Mancini playing an attacking full back in Maicon and a creative midfielder in Nasri on what is probably the most dangerous left side in Marcelo and Ronaldo in the world. It was suicide on our behalf. Milner and Zabaleta would of balanced things out a little better in my opinion.

supercrystal7 said:
James Milner was a board signing and a very bad one at that. The board wasted 25 million on him and Mancini was probably rightfully pissed. He would not even get into any top 7 midfield in the premiership. As a winger can do a job, but not great either. Vastly overrated here. Mancini is right not to want to use him in my opinion. Will be sold and probably struggle to make Europe for the team he plays for.

Are U taking the mick? Do U ever go to the games? Milner is the most complete pro we have(yes more so than Zabba) If he is started he does what he's told by the letter, if he comes on likewise, if not selected no grumbling just gets on with it! He's had so many great players in front of him but never complains, I'm sure Bobby was trying the 3 at the back thing to get him in the team, but didn't quite work out, not James's fault! If he isn't at least on the bench he is surely injured!

grim up north said:
Typical English midfielder full of endeavour and commitment. Technically shit, his brain doesn't work quick enough to play the football Mancini craves, he needs two touches when he receives the ball Silva Nasri Yaya don't. If you watch when he is playing Yaya rarely gives him the ball.

Good player for the likes of Villa not good enough for us now

I'd rather our players take two touches as long as they pass or shoot properly, rather than the loads of chances Silva, Nasri, Yaya and Aguero have missed..This one-touch football is f**king gash if it doesn't work the right way, like how we saw against Arsenal..

Milner is an excellent squad player, and that is a good enough reason to at least be on the bench all the time..You never know when his services will be required..I have no doubt he would come good if Mancini were to give him the same amount of chances he gives to our star players..

To get back to the OP's question, - why did we buy him.

First of all, do we know for sure if this was a Mancini purchase or a Cook/Marewood?

Milner was one of the best players in the league the season before we bought him, won young player of the year and he was looking like someone who could be for club and country what Lampard has been (and to some extent still is).

But then we get him here, and plays him in a totally different way than that which made him great. Personally I don't get this. Why would you do that?

The same goes for Dzeko in a way, being one of the worlds most prolific striker for Wolfsburg, and then have him play wide and/or deep. Not exactly playing to his strengths.

Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
King Geedorah said:
Milner is the man who makes Yaya in a two man midfield work. Without James we're too easily over run.

How many games has Milner started at home and how many times have we been overrun in that time?

Like I've said Milner is this mythical saviour who is talked about alot when we appear to be struggling and talked about rarely when we are winning.

Last 6 games last season, pressure on...6 wins. How many Milner appearances? Nil.

In fact in his last 5 games las season we won 1 drew 1 and Lost 3.

Well yes at home against god awful sides we're not going to be over run, nor will we if they come to play for a draw like United did.

But when we go away to teams we need someone like Milner in midfield alongside Barry. If that means pushing Toure further forward so be it, but Milner allows us to keep 2 up front because he can graft out wide.

I'd be interested in seeing the away game stats with and without Milner from last year.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.