James Milner - Why Buy Him?

yayas trusty right foot said:
He is a good player and we could have done with him today..

I am a bit puzzled why Mancini doesnt use him more often, i wonder if Marwood signed him ?
Deluded Marwood, yes.

Out of Silva's mouth, Milner is the hardest trainer he has played with. Unfortunately for Milner, this probably doesn't transfer over to actual understanding, so Bobby doesn't pick him. Pretty simple, Mancini picks the players he thinks can do the job, and most of the time either Milner doesn't fall into that category or there is better available. It's a shame for him, but I can't see him ever becoming a key player for us. No doubt he could do an excellent job at other clubs. His time here will be good experience for him.

Gaylord du Bois said:
supercrystal7 said:
bluebannana said:
get the feeling you dont like milner cos hes not some fancy named player who has a trick or two, milner isnt there for that hes there to do a job, a lot of which goes unoticed

No I don't like Milner, because he is not very good. His level is around 6-8 in the Premiership at best. People only like him, because he works hard and does not complain. There are several English midfielders much better than him in recent years. Lampard and Gerrard the obvious stand outs. However, even Huddlestone can control a game better. Wilshere is an unbelievable player if he ever gets fit.

On the right he can do a job, because he has better understanding of the right position to be at. However, in the middle his positioning is very poor. No point running around like headless chicken. Parker used to do this when he was younger and ended up at West Ham. At least he learnt positioning later on.

EDIT

By like I mean rate. It's hard not to like a professional player like Milner.
My word. Are you a nine year old from Croydon?

Maybe you should question why Mancini considers him at best 5th choice central midfielder?
Or why Mancini would rather play Kolarov on the wide positions?
You agree he has a fantastic attitude and work ethic, so it probably has something to do with ability. Milner is a model professional like I said. Works as hard as possible, great attitude, but just lacks quality.

supercrystal7 said:
bluebannana said:
danburge82 said:
I'll stop reading your posts about Jimmy because you don't have a clue about him if you hold that opinion. Garbage!

agree what utter shite, starting to sound like spoilt chelsea fans on this forum
I am not Chelsea, but it's the truth. Though Milner was bought for 25 million. That would buy my entire club. His price range puts him on the level of Tevez, Silva, Toure, Essien, Drogba, Mata, RVP etc. His ability range puts him below the likes of Young, Cabaye, Tiote, Arteta, Rodwell etc. Having a strong mentality has nothing to do with quality. For instance as good as Henry was, he big game mentality of say another great like Zidane or even lesser players like Etoo or Drogba.

Milner will not play well if the rest of the team is not performing. Will hide from getting the ball and be too scared to try anything. He takes up the same role as say Park or Fletcher at United. He is better than both, but they have this big game mentality. When the chips are down they are not afraid to stand up and be counted. This means more than just running about.
Doesn't have a big game mentality!?? You're talking out of your ass.

supercrystal7 said:
Gaylord du Bois said:
supercrystal7 said:
No I don't like Milner, because he is not very good. His level is around 6-8 in the Premiership at best. People only like him, because he works hard and does not complain. There are several English midfielders much better than him in recent years. Lampard and Gerrard the obvious stand outs. However, even Huddlestone can control a game better. Wilshere is an unbelievable player if he ever gets fit.

On the right he can do a job, because he has better understanding of the right position to be at. However, in the middle his positioning is very poor. No point running around like headless chicken. Parker used to do this when he was younger and ended up at West Ham. At least he learnt positioning later on.

EDIT

By like I mean rate. It's hard not to like a professional player like Milner.
My word. Are you a nine year old from Croydon?

Maybe you should question why Mancini considers him at best 5th choice central midfielder?
Or why Mancini would rather play Kolarov on the wide positions?
You agree he has a fantastic attitude and work ethic, so it probably has something to do with ability. Milner is a model professional like I said. Works as hard as possible, great attitude, but just lacks quality.
I like you. You're funny.

prairiemoon said:
supercrystal7 said:
bluebannana said:
agree what utter shite, starting to sound like spoilt chelsea fans on this forum
I am not Chelsea, but it's the truth. Though Milner was bought for 25 million. That would buy my entire club. His price range puts him on the level of Tevez, Silva, Toure, Essien, Drogba, Mata, RVP etc. His ability range puts him below the likes of Young, Cabaye, Tiote, Arteta, Rodwell etc. Having a strong mentality has nothing to do with quality. For instance as good as Henry was, he big game mentality of say another great like Zidane or even lesser players like Etoo or Drogba.

Milner will not play well if the rest of the team is not performing. Will hide from getting the ball and be too scared to try anything. He takes up the same role as say Park or Fletcher at United. He is better than both, but they have this big game mentality. When the chips are down they are not afraid to stand up and be counted. This means more than just running about.

He played well against United in the 6-1 and that's about the only big game he has. The team was playing fantastic and it's easy to be a clog in a team at their best.

Big game players no matter the level pull it out when things are tough. The big game players at City are Hart, Zabeleta, Kompany, Toure, Barry, Silva, Aguero, Tevez, Dzeko, Balotelli. Maybe missing a few. Guys like Nasri, Adam Johnson and Milner despite the difference in talent don't have the confidence to keep trying to play their football when things are not going well. They tend to hide in games. Not want the ball, only go for the safe pass etc.

supercrystal7 said:
bluebannana said:
danburge82 said:
I'll stop reading your posts about Jimmy because you don't have a clue about him if you hold that opinion. Garbage!

James Milner was not bought for 25 mil it was 24mil including Stephen Ireland valued at 8mil, prior to that SI had a poor season straight after showing promise the seaon before (although he was perhaps overhyped). We got rid of a player we did n't want and got a player who was integral in taking Villa to 2 Wembley appearences in 1 year and a 6th placed finish, after the deal Villa fell apart even before the sale of Young and Downing. JM has absolutley no mental weakness whilst the player we sent the other way was bullied out of the Irish NT by the inbred chuckle brothers that are Stephen and Noel Hunt, JM is always in the England squad. You say his puts him in the price bracket of better players, well who cares I don't especially because I would find it difficult to put a fair price on Ireland to is he worth 24 in the swap deal or between 17-19mil, English players cost a premium have n't you heard? Andy Carroll, maybe?

supercrystal7 said:
prairiemoon said:
supercrystal7 said:

He played well against United in the 6-1 and that's about the only big game he has. The team was playing fantastic and it's easy to be a clog in a team at their best.

Big game players no matter the level pull it out when things are tough. The big game players at City are Hart, Zabeleta, Kompany, Toure, Barry, Silva, Aguero, Tevez, Dzeko, Balotelli. Maybe missing a few. Guys like Nasri, Adam Johnson and Milner despite the difference in talent don't have the confidence to keep trying to play their football when things are not going well. They tend to hide in games. Not want the ball, only go for the safe pass etc.

Are you serious! This has to be a WUM! You need to get on YouTube sonny boy and watch some clips. He has a career of stepping up during big games.

Rocket-footed kolarov said:
supercrystal7 said:
bluebannana said:

James Milner was not bought for 25 mil it was 24mil including Stephen Ireland valued at 8mil, prior to that SI had a poor season straight after showing promise the seaon before (although he was perhaps overhyped). We got rid of a player we did n't want and got a player who was integral in taking Villa to 2 Wembley appearences in 1 year and a 6th placed finish, after the deal Villa fell apart even before the sale of Young and Downing. JM has absolutley no mental weakness whilst the player we sent the other way was bullied out of the Irish NT by the inbred chuckle brothers that are Stephen and Noel Hunt, JM is always in the England squad. You say his puts him in the price bracket of better players, well who cares I don't especially because I would find it difficult to put a fair price on Ireland to is he worth 24 in the swap deal or between 17-19mil, English players cost a premium have n't you heard? Andy Carroll, maybe?

Ireland has far more footballing talent than Milner, but like you said was mentally weak. Ireland like a lot of players functioned best in a 3 man midfield. Yeh his mental weakness cost him as well as Hughes changing to a 4-2-4.

Andy Carroll is one of the worst transfers ever. You say English players cost a premium and this is true, but you can still shop smart. For instace
6 million for Cahil or 23 million for Lescott. Rodwell for 12 million even if it was 15 million was a great bit of business. Rodwell is already better in central midfield than Milner. Moses for 9 million, Parker for 5.5 million. All great deals for English talent.

The difference between a Milner/Nasri and a Silva can be seen by the match today. Silva badly off form and having a poor performance. Never once did you see him hide. Never once did he stop a good move to play it easy. Dzeko is another example. When he misses a chance, never once does he hide. He is still prepared to put himself in the position. Yes it didn't work for him today, but more often that not it did. Talking about it in the Bundesligue forum, but Thomas Mueller another example. Kroos at least last year, maybe equally talented, perhaps more so, but just not the mentality of Muller.

Just go and watch the Arsenal game last year to see exactly why Milner cannot play centrally.

He is clearly not rated by Mancini and also not good enough for the starting 11.

Also he was a Marwood signing so that is an answer probably to that why doesnt he play...

Remember an old interview with Marwood he said yeah Milner can look as an expensive signing but if you look at that way he will be with us for 8-10 years and do the math with his price it is not expensive at all.

Well dont think Mancini wants him really here for another 2-3 years...
And probably Milner doesnt want to stay here because he will get less playing time this year AJ got last year.

He is a bit part player for us but wouldnt be anything else at Chelsea or United. Good squad player no more.

Of course you dont spend that much on a very versatile but also very limited squad player. We dont even know where he is the best in the middle or on the wing.

AJ was a Marwood signing, it turned out as it did dont think it will be different with Milner if Mancini is the manager next summer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.