James Milner - Why Buy Him?

supercrystal7 said:
bluebannana said:
supercrystal7 said:
When has he played well for England in a big game? Was very poor at the Euro's and the world cup. He played on the right of a four man midfield and was good that day, but was not one of the key men. Milner does have good delivery and when confident can put in a good cross. Balotell and Silva were the stars that day.

get the feeling you dont like milner cos hes not some fancy named player who has a trick or two, milner isnt there for that hes there to do a job, a lot of which goes unoticed

No I don't like Milner, because he is not very good. His level is around 6-8 in the Premiership at best. People only like him, because he works hard and does not complain. There are several English midfielders much better than him in recent years. Lampard and Gerrard the obvious stand outs. However, even Huddlestone can control a game better. Wilshere is an unbelievable player if he ever gets fit.

On the right he can do a job, because he has better understanding of the right position to be at. However, in the middle his positioning is very poor. No point running around like headless chicken. Parker used to do this when he was younger and ended up at West Ham. At least he learnt positioning later on.

EDIT

By like I mean rate. It's hard not to like a professional player like Milner.

absolute bollocks.

supercrystal7 said:
Rocket-footed kolarov said:
supercrystal7 said:
I am not Chelsea, but it's the truth. Though Milner was bought for 25 million. That would buy my entire club. His price range puts him on the level of Tevez, Silva, Toure, Essien, Drogba, Mata, RVP etc. His ability range puts him below the likes of Young, Cabaye, Tiote, Arteta, Rodwell etc. Having a strong mentality has nothing to do with quality. For instance as good as Henry was, he big game mentality of say another great like Zidane or even lesser players like Etoo or Drogba.

Milner will not play well if the rest of the team is not performing. Will hide from getting the ball and be too scared to try anything. He takes up the same role as say Park or Fletcher at United. He is better than both, but they have this big game mentality. When the chips are down they are not afraid to stand up and be counted. This means more than just running about.

James Milner was not bought for 25 mil it was 24mil including Stephen Ireland valued at 8mil, prior to that SI had a poor season straight after showing promise the seaon before (although he was perhaps overhyped). We got rid of a player we did n't want and got a player who was integral in taking Villa to 2 Wembley appearences in 1 year and a 6th placed finish, after the deal Villa fell apart even before the sale of Young and Downing. JM has absolutley no mental weakness whilst the player we sent the other way was bullied out of the Irish NT by the inbred chuckle brothers that are Stephen and Noel Hunt, JM is always in the England squad. You say his puts him in the price bracket of better players, well who cares I don't especially because I would find it difficult to put a fair price on Ireland to is he worth 24 in the swap deal or between 17-19mil, English players cost a premium have n't you heard? Andy Carroll, maybe?

Ireland has far more footballing talent than Milner, but like you said was mentally weak. Ireland like a lot of players functioned best in a 3 man midfield. Yeh his mental weakness cost him as well as Hughes changing to a 4-2-4.

Andy Carroll is one of the worst transfers ever. You say English players cost a premium and this is true, but you can still shop smart. For instace
6 million for Cahil or 23 million for Lescott. Rodwell for 12 million even if it was 15 million was a great bit of business. Rodwell is already better in central midfield than Milner. Moses for 9 million, Parker for 5.5 million. All great deals for English talent.

The difference between a Milner/Nasri and a Silva can be seen by the match today. Silva badly off form and having a poor performance. Never once did you see him hide. Never once did he stop a good move to play it easy. Dzeko is another example. When he misses a chance, never once does he hide. He is still prepared to put himself in the position. Yes it didn't work for him today, but more often that not it did. Talking about it in the Bundesligue forum, but Thomas Mueller another example. Kroos at least last year, maybe equally talented, perhaps more so, but just not the mentality of Muller.

Just go and watch the Arsenal game last year to see exactly why Milner cannot play centrally.

Don't like him centrally already stated my preference for where he plays! Chelsea have Ramires but he does n't stop running or fighting JM is similar and taking SI situation into account cost a simlar amount despite more exposure, also Silva was very anonymous in his first few months with us whilst JM got MOTM against Liverpool on his Debut (playing as a floating wideplayer) and an assist should have been 2 but for Carlos Tevez stealing a goal from MR and Prior to that scored against West Ham when AV villa fans would have been queueing up to get on his back

Also Gary Cahill may have been part of a ECL and FA Cup winning team but he also had a hand in Bolton going down, Lescott has been more important a signing than Cahill was for Chelsea and did n't have the intention of winding down his contract like GC hence big price difference, and even though Cahill has the Habit of scoring goals Lescott is better at it and also provides the odd asssist as well for every play bought for "too much" there is a bargain bought Clichy, Kompany Hart, Moses for 9 mil is n't the deal of the century and he is no longer eligible for England and did n't stand much chance of a breakthrough in any case. Whilst Scott Parker has very little to his game is the wrong side of thirty and came from a relegated team, trust me when he is fit he will be useless in an AVB side and for 1 season of action it hardly represents value when they missed out on ECL and he has no sell on.

dctid said:
supercrystal7 said:
James Milner was a board signing and a very bad one at that. The board wasted 25 million on him and Mancini was probably rightfully pissed. He would not even get into any top 7 midfield in the premiership. As a winger can do a job, but not great either. Vastly overrated here. Mancini is right not to want to use him in my opinion. Will be sold and probably struggle to make Europe for the team he plays for.

Milner would have impacted the game far more than Silva did today whom has been pretty shite for some time now

Milner was top draw in the Charity Shield

Yer'd have to watch a dozen games last season to see Silva misplace as many passes as he did today. Dya think he's hearing Charlie Adam hoofin' up behind him?

supercrystal7 said:
James Milner was not bought for 25 mil it was 24mil including Stephen Ireland valued at 8mil, prior to that SI had a poor season straight after showing promise the seaon before (although he was perhaps overhyped). We got rid of a player we did n't want and got a player who was integral in taking Villa to 2 Wembley appearences in 1 year and a 6th placed finish, after the deal Villa fell apart even before the sale of Young and Downing. JM has absolutley no mental weakness whilst the player we sent the other way was bullied out of the Irish NT by the inbred chuckle brothers that are Stephen and Noel Hunt, JM is always in the England squad. You say his puts him in the price bracket of better players, well who cares I don't especially because I would find it difficult to put a fair price on Ireland to is he worth 24 in the swap deal or between 17-19mil, English players cost a premium have n't you heard? Andy Carroll, maybe?

Ireland has far more footballing talent than Milner, but like you said was mentally weak. Ireland like a lot of players functioned best in a 3 man midfield. Yeh his mental weakness cost him as well as Hughes changing to a 4-2-4.

Andy Carroll is one of the worst transfers ever. You say English players cost a premium and this is true, but you can still shop smart. For instace
6 million for Cahil or 23 million for Lescott. Rodwell for 12 million even if it was 15 million was a great bit of business. Rodwell is already better in central midfield than Milner. Moses for 9 million, Parker for 5.5 million. All great deals for English talent.

The difference between a Milner/Nasri and a Silva can be seen by the match today. Silva badly off form and having a poor performance. Never once did you see him hide. Never once did he stop a good move to play it easy. Dzeko is another example. When he misses a chance, never once does he hide. He is still prepared to put himself in the position. Yes it didn't work for him today, but more often that not it did. Talking about it in the Bundesligue forum, but Thomas Mueller another example. Kroos at least last year, maybe equally talented, perhaps more so, but just not the mentality of Muller.

Just go and watch the Arsenal game last year to see exactly why Milner cannot play centrally.

Don't like him centrally already stated my preference for where he plays! Chelsea have Ramires but he does n't stop running or fighting JM is similar and taking SI situation into account cost a simlar amount despite more exposure, also Silva was very anonymous in his first few months with us whilst JM got MOTM against Liverpool on his Debut (playing as a floating wideplayer) and an assist should have been 2 but for Carlos Tevez stealing a goal from MR and Prior to that scored against West Ham when AV villa fans would have been queueing up to get on his back

Ramires is not that similar to Milner. Milner like most English players is fantastic at striking a ball. It is probably, because we grow up playing on such big pitches. Great long range pass, great shot, great cross. Ramires is not. Ramires despite not being great still has a much better touch and short passing game than Milner. Ramires has a better understanding for the position. Ramires is a much better dribbler and has a fantastic turn of speed. Not to mention Ramires is the truly a big game player. When Terry is hoping a chance falls to you, Lampard or Drogba then you know you have the right mentality for a big game. Still even with all that going for him, Ramires is in a bit of trouble, because he does not fit into the new Chelsea team. Even at City, he would not fit in that well. So is going to have to work very hard to adjust.

Playing Milner on the right hand side of midfield is a different thing altogether. There he can do a job. One of the benefits of the 3-5-2 is that in theory he will get the best out of Milner. Even with that said Milner should not be around the 4th choice wideman/wide playermaker behind Silva, Nasri and somebody else. If he is prepared to take that then he would be a great squad player and would be kept. I just don't see Milner being happy to be 4th choice for two positions.

Not even on the bench today why!? I love Mancini but sometimes his team selection is poor! But what do I know?

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
dctid said:
supercrystal7 said:
James Milner was a board signing and a very bad one at that. The board wasted 25 million on him and Mancini was probably rightfully pissed. He would not even get into any top 7 midfield in the premiership. As a winger can do a job, but not great either. Vastly overrated here. Mancini is right not to want to use him in my opinion. Will be sold and probably struggle to make Europe for the team he plays for.

Milner would have impacted the game far more than Silva did today whom has been pretty shite for some time now

Milner was top draw in the Charity Shield

Yer'd have to watch a dozen games last season to see Silva misplace as many passes as he did today. Dya think he's hearing Charlie Adam hoofin' up behind him?

Last season is over players should be picked on current form not what they did last season and here and now Silva is poor

Not to say that he should not play or be selected he should not be kept on the pitch at the expense of the team especially when he has had an hour to make an impact

Silva should have been hoicked today not Edin whom was playing far far better

Silva has been poor since the season started not just this game

supercrystal7 said:
supercrystal7 said:

Ramires is not that similar to Milner. Milner like most English players is fantastic at striking a ball. It is probably, because we grow up playing on such big pitches. Great long range pass, great shot, great cross. Ramires is not. Ramires despite not being great still has a much better touch and short passing game than Milner. Ramires has a better understanding for the position. Ramires is a much better dribbler and has a fantastic turn of speed. Not to mention Ramires is the truly a big game player. When Terry is hoping a chance falls to you, Lampard or Drogba then you know you have the right mentality for a big game. Still even with all that going for him, Ramires is in a bit of trouble, because he does not fit into the new Chelsea team. Even at City, he would not fit in that well. So is going to have to work very hard to adjust.

Playing Milner on the right hand side of midfield is a different thing altogether. There he can do a job. One of the benefits of the 3-5-2 is that in theory he will get the best out of Milner. Even with that said Milner should not be around the 4th choice wideman/wide playermaker behind Silva, Nasri and somebody else. If he is prepared to take that then he would be a great squad player and would be kept. I just don't see Milner being happy to be 4th choice for two positions.

They are not clones no but they are similar in that they are both better out wide, Ramires has aspects of his game that are better, but he does n't cross the ball as well or take set pieces, Milner has a harder shot and is just a good team player and more versatile when it comes to covering positions; he can do a job anywhere but upfront CB or in goal.

You don't like Milner, I am sure he does n't care you make soom good points but you are a touch deluded, and I don't like you so either say something constructive or why don't you just get lost. I am fan of MCFC which means looking for good parts in a player rather than picking holes in them, They are all good lads, for the moment all worthy of the shirt (In the end the Manager decides that one) so I get behind them, if you just want to belittle our current players and sign the next flavour of the month or wonderkid then maybe you should go else where.

The lad plays more 4 england than manchester city i like him he played well against united at old trafford last season

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.