James Stannage and Umberto on Piccadilly Radio

Like attending football matches radio was rough and edgy then, a brilliant time.

Stannage's first session when I was 13/14 was ace, 3 or 4 times a hour there'd be some Harding, Carrot, Williamson, Phython, Newheart etc and he'd pull no punches talking to the public on his second and third (I think) reappearances he was either dummed down as society changed or lost his edge.

James H was as I grew up a much better listen, didn't he eventually get binned for stalking his ex?

A bloke who looked like (from photos) and sounded like James Stannage used to drink in "Fred's Ale House" in Levenshulme.
He was a larger than life character who definitely liked a drink. Am sure he was babbling on about MUFC a few times, so assume he supported them ?
Unfortunately, Fred's has recently closed at the moment, but haven't seen him in there the last few times.
Definitely preferred James H. Reeve who was far more subtle in winding people up...
Yep, that was him. Fred's is shut for good now. I've heard he is going in the Magnet on Wellington Road in Stockport now.

Oh yesssssss
Wood on the wireless
He used to have the Captain Kremen series on his late night show. I used to piss myself laughing at it, I was 13/14, all my mates loved it too.
I recorded it one night to play it to my Mum - she thought it was stupid and when she said that she never liked Kenny Everett the first time round I was amazed!
I hadn’t realised it was him!

He used to have the Captain Kremen series on his late night show. I used to piss myself laughing at it, I was 13/14, all my mates loved it too.
I recorded it one night to play it to my Mum - she thought it was stupid and when she said that she never liked Kenny Everett the first time round I was amazed!
I hadn’t realised it was him!
Kremen of the Star Cor

I remember he used to say he had one son who was a Rag and one a Blue so he was neutral...but he sounded like a Rag tbh.
This is true. Went to school with his youngest, Dominic, who was a blue. Good lad. Think he ended up working at City for a while.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.