Javi Garcia (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to see that Javi's professionalism and application is appreciated by some on here, even if people still have some doubts over his place in the squad (which is fair enough). I think he's certainly improving; last night was his best game yet as part of a midfield two, although he is certainly far more effective playing in front of the defence in a midfield three. His passing was once again excellent last night; 97% completed.

I have never really been a big fan of Garcia's (although I have kept it quiet out of respect to the fact he was new to the Prem). Looking back though, I think that if you take away the games where Garcia has been played out of position (as CB etc.) and look solely at his games in his favoured position, Javi has generally been good.

It is always difficult for a player to shine when he isnt in the starting 11 for a stretch of games. But recently, his performances have definitely improved.

I am going to wipe the slate clean with him and let him convince me again. Would be great to have a DM we can rely on when we are trying to shut up shop.

When the team is as good as it is, you don't need a player like Garcia in it. I wouldn't mind, but on days when we struggle and can't get the ball off sides, he's ardly putting out fires - like Barry did or De Jong. This isn't an invite for a comparison however!

You could hear a pin drop when his name was announced last night, and for most of the game he watched - because he can't keep up with the speed of play to be involved with the midfield. There were times in the centre circle Yaya, Silva and Sami played keep ball. He was stood 5 yards away. Stood. Not getting involved when the play was right near him.

Didsbury Dave said:
Well I'm going to stick my head above the parapet on this one. Garcia has become a damn useful squad player sitting and screening. Never loses possession and, whilst he's immobile, he's strong and clever.

He would never be in my strongest eleven, and I'd still upgrade him in the summer but at the moment, in a stretched squad, he's doing alright for me.

So much utter shit has been written about this player.

Large chunks of this thread are, I'm sure, a complete embarrassment. I haven't read the whole thing but seen enough to jump to the preceding conclusion.

Garcia had a good game last night. He screened the defence well for most of the game; I can recall one moment where someone with more pace (not difficult blah, blah) ran by him.

He was tidy in possession: good control when receiving the ball and usually moved it on promptly and calmly with an accurate well weighted pass. He made the game look easy (and maybe it was thanks to the opposition) but shit players don't make the game look easy.

As with the Dzeko Negredo partnership, I am not making any judgements on Garcia based on last nights game. West Ham were appalling, possibly the worst side I have seen this year. They did nothing to put pressure on the City midfield allowing Toure to jog around picking out passes. The knock on effect was that Garcia had a lot more time than normal.

I was a bit disapointed that he had a few chances from set pieces and missed the target but that can happen to anyone.

He didnt have a bad game and you can only beat what is put in front of you but I wouldn't make any assumptions about future performance based on that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.