Javi Garcia

I'm not 100% sure of him to judge but from his performances so far I can analyze the following:

Strengths

Does the simple things
(ball utilization and possession is probably between 70 - 80%
Good in the air
Attacks ball well in both boxes
Will help us keep clean sheets against opposition set pieces
Can grab a few goals a season attacking set pieces.
Works well pressing in numbers
(Pressing triangles with Milner and Barr was great)
Does not over commit or slide into tackles or place himself in potential red card situations.
Will not break forward and leave us sort at the back.
(more important than you think)
Can play a simple pass and doesn't try to over complicate things above his ability.
Helps the team stay strong defensively
(I think we were lucky today though as if the crosses in 1st half were attacked more efficiently by Fulham the outlook on this may have been negated)
He is a likable character (I assume a good professional)
Will not be disruptive if not selected in first team.
Will improve by playing with top quality players
He is not on huge wages
He is only 25 Years old
Can provide cover at CD if we have major defensive problems
(short and long term)

Weaknesses

Limited pace
Limited maneuverability
Limited Technically
Not yet certain what team mates will do yet
(will take time do to fit team)
Puts a few passes astray but all players do
(area of pitch where this happens is a key indicator)
Is not a box to box player
When people say a player purchased for 16M they wish we could have had a player with more options (Felliani, De Rossi, Waganyama) - i.e can play box to box also

Not Clear

Ability to strike a ball
Composure under pressure
How long fans will give him and if he will become boo boy

It has to be said that one of our most important and under appreciated players is Barry and some comparisons could be made. I think we have to be more respectful, look how well Savic is doing at Fiorentina. Patienec is the key

MadchesterCity said:
I'm not 100% sure of him to judge but from his performances so far I can analyze the following:

Strengths

Does the simple things
(ball utilization and possession is probably between 70 - 80%
Good in the air
Attacks ball well in both boxes
Will help us keep clean sheets against opposition set pieces
Can grab a few goals a season attacking set pieces.
Works well pressing in numbers
(Pressing triangles with Milner and Barr was great)
Does not over commit or slide into tackles or place himself in potential red card situations.
Will not break forward and leave us sort at the back.
(more important than you think)
Can play a simple pass and doesn't try to over complicate things above his ability.
Helps the team stay strong defensively
(I think we were lucky today though as if the crosses in 1st half were attacked more efficiently by Fulham the outlook on this may have been negated)
He is a likable character (I assume a good professional)
Will not be disruptive if not selected in first team.
Will improve by playing with top quality players
He is not on huge wages
He is only 25 Years old
Can provide cover at CD if we have major defensive problems
(short and long term)

Weaknesses

Limited pace
Limited maneuverability
Limited Technically
Not yet certain what team mates will do yet
(will take time do to fit team)
Puts a few passes astray but all players do
(area of pitch where this happens is a key indicator)
Is not a box to box player
When people say a player purchased for 16M they wish we could have had a player with more options (Felliani, De Rossi, Waganyama) - i.e can play box to box also

Not Clear

Ability to strike a ball
Composure under pressure
How long fans will give him and if he will become boo boy

It has to be said that one of our most important and under appreciated players is Barry and some comparisons could be made. I think we have to be more respectful, look how well Savic is doing at Fiorentina. Patienec is the key

Fantastic post. All I would add is he seems very tactically astute in his positioning and seems to direct the players around him quite well

FantasyIreland said:
The two defensive midfielder approach isn't needed,its negative football,with the creativity at our disposal we should be ripping teams apart not worrying about them doing similar to us........
That's all well and good when our strikers are clinical and banging in all the chances provided them, but I can see why we have been shored up defensively recently. Other than Stoke, we haven't had many PL games where I wasn't chewing my nails, hoping for more than a 1 goal lead, or having to come back.
It's also another clean sheet, so whatever works.

De Jong started about 20% of games when we won the title and was on the ouch 25% of the time, yet suddenly he is an indespensible part of our team and history is re written. Be all and end all is our management knew if we were to progress we had to have a player who offered more - that's why we we t for Garcia for me he is still settling in

It was noticable against Fulham that he very rarely got a pass from a team mate. Almost as though they expect him to lose possession. I think he might improve in time but at the moment he's a weak link.

Whilst Yaya is away I would like to see Milner alongside Barry in the middle with Nasri or Sinclair wide right.

Blue and Proud said:
It was noticable against Fulham that he very rarely got a pass from a team mate. Almost as though they expect him to lose possession. I think he might improve in time but at the moment he's a weak link.

Whilst Yaya is away I would like to see Milner alongside Barry in the middle with Nasri or Sinclair wide right.

He's got a pass percentage of 90% across the season (96% today, missing 2 of 47, best of any of our players) and took more touches today than Milner or Tevez.

This is why I'm really keen to defend Garcia. He did what he was meant to do very well. But what do facts matter, he's slow...

EalingBlue2 said:
De Jong started about 20% of games when we won the title and was on the ouch 25% of the time, yet suddenly he is an indespensible part of our team and history is re written. Be all and end all is our management knew if we were to progress we had to have a player who offered more - that's why we we t for Garcia for me he is still settling in

Settling in? He was bought to break up attacks and play the ball with a bit of class, how can he break up the opposition if he can't get near them through lack of pace? He will look ok when we are playing bad teams, but I dread to think about UTD away with him as our holding MF, whereas NDJ would be perfect. OK NDJ's gone, but the worst thing is when Yaya's back Milner will end up on the bench while Garcia continues to "settle in".

NQCitizen said:
Blue and Proud said:

He's got a pass percentage of 90% across the season (96% today, missing 2 of 47, best of any of our players) and took more touches today than Milner or Tevez.

This is why I'm really keen to defend Garcia. He did what he was meant to do very well. But what do facts matter, he's slow...
That's something when he got more touches than those 2. And I happened to see Kompany, Clichy, Nasri, and Silva pass to him plenty. Esp Silva, who gave him a nice little ball on the right where he passed 1 defender *gasp* and tried to play winger but his cross didn't reach Tevez.

Paul11/12 said:
EalingBlue2 said:
De Jong started about 20% of games when we won the title and was on the ouch 25% of the time, yet suddenly he is an indespensible part of our team and history is re written. Be all and end all is our management knew if we were to progress we had to have a player who offered more - that's why we went for Garcia for me he is still settling in

Settling in? He was bought to break up attacks and play the ball with a bit of class, how can he break up the opposition if he can't get near them through lack of pace? He will look ok when we are playing bad teams, but I dread to think about UTD away with him as our holding MF, whereas NDJ would be perfect. OK NDJ's gone, but the worst thing is when Yaya's back Milner will end up on the bench while Garcia continues to "settle in".
I happen to remember a game last season where DeJong didn't play, much less start at OT, and we did just fine. So I don't think Mancini thought he was "perfect" for it.
I liked NDJ, I really did. But he wasn't The Flash-more known for his tackles and sideways/backwards passes. I think once Garcia has "settled in" and learns just how physical he can get without drawing a yellow, he'll come good. He already gives us a goal threat that NDJ didn't.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.