Javi Garcia

Gets caught on the wrong side too much.

I've been willing to give him a chance but his inability to play a short pass without the ball bobbling about is a cause for concern. I counted ten different occasions last night where he played a pass no more than 20 yards which should have been simple. However, every time it bounced about causing the receiving player to have to take a touch to get it under control and therefore disrupting our play

wolfie1988 said:
Gets caught on the wrong side too much.

I've been willing to give him a chance but his inability to play a short pass without the ball bobbling about is a cause for concern. I counted ten different occasions last night where he played a pass no more than 20 yards which should have been simple. However, every time it bounced about causing the receiving player to have to take a touch to get it under control and therefore disrupting our play

I wondered if I was just making it up, or I couldn't make it out on the shit stream, but he seemed to get caught on the wrong side a hell of a lot last night. He did a couple of nice little turns to retain possession in tight spaces (if that's what anyone is referring to by him having a 'good' game), and from what I could make out was dog shit at everything else. Including making a terrible tackle to give away a free kick which very nearly lead directly to a goal.

Neither he nor Rodwell are currently good enough

If they both stay another season it'll be interesting to see which one of them improves enough to challenge for a starting place.

My money's on Rodwell

Said it before and I'll keep saying it about Garcia, he needs time to adapt to the way we play. Admittedly he's not had the best season but lets look at this a bit differently shall we?

He came here from Benfica and was immediately thrown in to the team away at Stoke (not the easiest of games and he even played quite well) - then he had a bit of a run in the team before that Arsenal game at home when he was in midfield with Toure. We were shit and so was Toure. Garcia was asked to run the midfield alone against Arsenal, even though he'd only been here about 2-3 months. No matter how good a player is or cynical you want to be, that's not an easy task.

The way we play, our midfield is essential. More so than any other part of the pitch. Gareth Barry is absolutely crucial for us. We move the ball in the middle quickly, efficiently and from the back to front, across the middle, constantly. And Barry's 'role' is essentially an active one for 90 mins. Garcia's been brought in to do that too. He obviously needs to learn this role. At Benfica, do you think he was ever as active for long periods of a game like he is at City? I know we paid a lot, possibly overpaid, but we haven't bought another Ged Brannan here. Some players, pardon the overused cliche, DO need time to adapt the English game.

Anyway, I think he got injured shortly after that Arsenal game, hampering any progress he could make in terms of; settling in to the team, getting match fit, adapting to the league, adapting to our system, our players etc. Again, he came back against Wigan and had a poor game like 4-5 other players that night.

He came back in to the team and I recall him hitting a bit of form around January near the Newcastle game away. He was playing well and looked to be settling in. We hit a bit of form before that Sunderland game away and Garcia was going relatively unnoticed, going his job unspectacularly. Fair enough.

Then, why I do not know, we started to play him at centre half?! Eh? This came to a head away at S'hampton and QPR away when we looked shite. Again, Garcia came out of the team.

It's been very stop-start for Garcia and as I said before, given the importance of 'that' role he needs to adapt to, he's been a bit overwhelmed and unfortunate in my opinion. I've no doubts that he offers more than De Jong did. Fair enough, De Jong broke up the play when needed, but when, last year, did we actually need that? When was our midfield over-run? Garcia offers that bit more which we've only seen in glimpses (especially an aerial threat and presence) - Garcia was brought in to replace De Jong and give us that bit extra in the middle. Unfortunately, he's not really played enough to adapt to our style, he's had a few injuries and even been played at centre (still don't get that). Obviously there have been a few poor performances along the way but this has only lowered his confidence which, again, given the circumstances and frustrations of this season (and the fact that his name crops up when ever ANYONE talks about the 'failings' of this season) hasn't helped.

As I said, he's replaced De Jong and, eventually, will give us that extra bit of threat and presence in the middle. He's not shit. If you don't rate him, fair enough. But the idea that we've bought an average player and let a world class one go is a bit daft. He'll be alright, no doubts.

It's been a stop start season for him because he's not been good enough. If he had played well he's never have been taken out of the lineup. I never saw him play before so I have no idea what kind of player he was. All I have seen is a guy who has zero confidence on the ball. It's like a hot potato on his foot and he's willing to play a bad pass and put another player under pressure just to get rid of it. We need more than what he offers. He's never going to get quicker so his game is always going to be limited in that respect. He's not creative at all so I don't see that improving either. Yes Barry is slow as well but he does have creative abilites. And he's a very confident player which is crucial for a slower player. That need to be a great reader of the game and confident in their choices because they don't have time to think about things and change their mind.

Santiago Street . said:
Neither he nor Rodwell are currently good enough

If they both stay another season it'll be interesting to see which one of them improves enough to challenge for a starting place.

My money's on Rodwell

Rodwell is good enough when fit IMO. Maybe not a starter yet but he has that quickness and passing ability Garcia lacks. Like the chip to Tevez in Dzekos goal. You wouldn't see Garcia do that. We are defo going to upgrade on Garcia this summer and if he stays he is just hindering someone else IMO.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.