Javi Garcia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Javi Garcia (merged)

Like many posters I will back him when the game starts, however Gashcia has so many shortcomings.
He has a distinct lack of pace. Not his fault, but he doesn't have it.
He's not the most physical either, BUT the biggest worry for me is his lack of awareness on the pitch. There are slower centre half's in the league, but they read the game so much better than he does. The major worry is he's not learning and not adapting.
People point out that 'he's playing out of position.'
There's a reason for that, it's because he's not good enough to hold down a position in the midfield.
Yes he seems a good bloke. As Tyler pointed out in commentary, he asked to re-do an interview because he was disappointed with his English. Commendable and says a lot about the man, but as supporters just want what best for the team and we need a better back up option at centre back given Kompany's on going injury problems.

Exeter Blue I am here said:
NQCitizen said:
FantasyIreland said:
Quite simply......

The names you mention above are all superb players,they have far more positive attributes to their game than negatives,they are also players that would grace any club in the Premiership.For those reasons they are rightly praised.
Garcia in comparison is piss poor,he's a liability who unsettles his teammates and causes more problems than he solves.Should he be (hopefully) made available for transfer i would estimate 90% of Prem clubs wouldn't be interested in his 'services' - its nothing personal,and its not his fault,he's just not of the quality required to aid our cause,subsequently,the fact his presence often makes us more vulnerable to defeat is the reason he is criticised.

It isn't complicated.

It's not complicated no, I didn't claim it was. He's good enough to be a squad player for us, which he is.

If he does "unsettle his team mates" he did well to captain a successful team (more successful than we've been) in the Champions League.

1. He wasn't playing centre half
2. The tempo of the Premier League makes it a radically different beast to continental football. Tenacity, mobility and a modicum of pace are pre-requisites to a degree in English football. If you lack only one of those attributes you can still get away with it. If, like Garcia, you have none of the above, you are up shit creek.
3. He wasn't deployed in a system that accentuates his shortcomings. Having to defend on the halfway line when you have such a phenomenal lack of pace, is a recipe for disaster.
4. There is no "if" in terms of whether or not he unsettles his team mates (as a centre half). Cardiff was a case in point, with Zabaleta and Clichy forced to sit back and cover, their usual attacking instincts neutered.

You can dress it up all you want, you can employ whatever straw man arguments you want about what he did at other clubs and how the manager knows best etc etc, but it won't change the fact that at this level, as a centre half (and I stress as a centre half, lest the debate should be steered to what a dependable squad player he is), he is a complete and utter liability. He gets caught flat footed, he gets dragged out of position, he loses the player he's meant to be marking far too frequently, the simplest of long balls over his head causes all manner of problems, he frequently has to try and wrestle with opponents to compensate for the lack of pace, when he has players trapped in tight situations they invariably manage to wriggle past him and so on and so on and so on.

I wish it weren't true but that's an excellent summary of the situation. If Garcia comes good then Pellegrini is a genius rather than just very good and I will hold my hands up.

I wonder sometimes if we are trying to justify his fee by playing him or if we genuinely think he will improve to the standard we all hoped he would be when he signed.

Rascal said:
NipHolmes said:
Precisely. Barry has his faults but he is a player with worth. A lot more worth than Garcia. Criminal that we have loaned the wrong one out.

Again this is your opinion.

Would it be underhand to point out that our manager saw it differently

Barry and Garcia are both squad players and the one who was kept was cheaper to keep. I'm lead to believe this is the case and I think it is because it certainly won't be about the player who offers us more because that was Barry. We won the league with him, he's better than Garcia as a holding midfielder and he's proven in this league.

You have still evaded my questions Rascal, dare I say I expect you to continue to do so.

But, but, but Javi played for Spain. England called up Kevin Davies for goodness sake. You've not come back from that yet, neither have you about the Spanish fans absolutely scathing him saying he unbalances the side and his lack of pace astounds them. Or should we class that lazily as hating and create another strawman like us challenging Pellegrini on this decision.

Imo Pellegrini should sack off the 4-2-2-2 and play 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-4-1. Personnel wise we need a clear-out of players not up to the required grade who we should be getting more from for out money. Garcia, Dzeko, a LB (bring in better one) and then buy a LB, top class CB and a Holding Mid.

NipHolmes said:
Imo Pellegrini should sack off the 4-2-2-2 and play 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-4-1. Personnel wise we need a clear-out of players not up to the required grade who we should be getting more from for out money. Garcia, Dzeko, a LB (bring in better one) and then buy a LB, top class CB and a Holding Mid.

There you go playing FM again.

Meanwhile in the real world...

NQCitizen said:
FantasyIreland said:
Quite simply......

The names you mention above are all superb players,they have far more positive attributes to their game than negatives,they are also players that would grace any club in the Premiership.For those reasons they are rightly praised.
Garcia in comparison is piss poor,he's a liability who unsettles his teammates and causes more problems than he solves.Should he be (hopefully) made available for transfer i would estimate 90% of Prem clubs wouldn't be interested in his 'services' - its nothing personal,and its not his fault,he's just not of the quality required to aid our cause,subsequently,the fact his presence often makes us more vulnerable to defeat is the reason he is criticised.

It isn't complicated.

It's not complicated no, I didn't claim it was. He's good enough to be a squad player for us, which he is.

If he does "unsettle his team mates" he did well to captain a successful team (more successful than we've been) in the Champions League.

2. The tempo of the Premier League makes it a radically different beast to continental football. Tenacity, mobility and a modicum of pace are pre-requisites to a degree in English football. If you lack only one of those attributes you can still get away with it. If, like Garcia, you have none of the above, you are up shit creek.
3. He wasn't deployed in a system that accentuates his shortcomings. Having to defend on the halfway line when you have such a phenomenal lack of pace, is a recipe for disaster.
4. There is no "if" in terms of whether or not he unsettles his team mates (as a centre half). Cardiff was a case in point, with Zabaleta and Clichy forced to sit back and cover, their usual attacking instincts neutered.

You can dress it up all you want, you can employ whatever straw man arguments you want about what he did at other clubs and how the manager knows best etc etc, but it won't change the fact that at this level, as a centre half (and I stress as a centre half, lest the debate should be steered to what a dependable squad player he is), he is a complete and utter liability. He gets caught flat footed, he gets dragged out of position, he loses the player he's meant to be marking far too frequently, the simplest of long balls over his head causes all manner of problems, he frequently has to try and wrestle with opponents to compensate for the lack of pace, when he has players trapped in tight situations they invariably manage to wriggle past him and so on and so on and so on.

... yet he's performed better than most our other defenders technically (although of course the statistics are lying). Our defence looks unsettled whenever Kompany doesn't play.

Statistical analysis is a strawman argument, whereas pure unsupported opinion isn't?

You've pretty much described Lescott there as well, Garcia's only real competition for the place. Lescott is has the same flaws out of possession yet many more in possession.

Cardiff is Garcia's fault? Despite Zaba twice losing the same man on set pieces (one of Garcia's strengths)?

I'm really not saying he's the best CB I'm saying he's a valuable back up player - not wank, doesn't need to be sold, isn't the worst player in the squad.

Rascal said:
NipHolmes said:

There you go playing FM again.

Meanwhile in the real world...

Again you avoided the questions.

My comments you have quoted is about the teak going forward and hopefully addressing these issues in the near future (Jan). For the here and now DeMichellis should play over Garcia at all times.

Nothing FM about it. You're hiding from giving answers, again. Your pedantic quips and FM insults mean little when your point is fallible and lacks any sense.

NQCitizen said:
NQCitizen said:

... yet he's performed better than most our other defenders technically (although of course the statistics are lying). Our defence looks unsettled whenever Kompany doesn't play.

Statistical analysis is a strawman argument, whereas pure unsupported opinion isn't?

You've pretty much described Lescott there as well, Garcia's only real competition for the place. Lescott is has the same flaws out of possession yet many more in possession.

Cardiff is Garcia's fault? Despite Zaba twice losing the same man on set pieces (one of Garcia's strengths)?

I'm really not saying he's the best CB I'm saying he's a valuable back up player - not wank, doesn't need to be sold, isn't the worst player in the squad.

On what do you base the assertion that he's performed better technically than our other defenders? The fact that he's accurately completed an average of 27 x 3 yard sideways passes per game or something? Sorry, but stats tell you nothing about the number of times he gets undone by long balls over his head or how often he pens an opponent in by the corner flag only to let him wriggle away and off into our box etc etc.
With regards Cardiff, you're doing the old straw man thing again. Where, pray, did I say that the defeat was Garcia's 'fault'? What I said was that Zabaleta and Clichy couldn't play their usual attacking games, because they couldn't risk leaving Garcia exposed 1 on 1.
As to Lescott, the big difference to Garcia, apart from the bleeding obvious fact that Joleon is an internationally capped centre half used to playing in that position, whilst Garcia, erm, isn't, is that Lescott displays a level of commitment that Garcia can only dream about. But for the avoidance of doubt, are you really trying to make out that Garcia is the better defender of the two?! If so, then this argument is redundant because you need your bumps feeling.
As someone else on here said, 10 years ago, in the wooden legged days of Claudio Reyna and a 110 year old Dietmar Hamann, Garcia wouldn't have been a bad signing. In 2013 however, he represents an astonishing waste of money. A competent defensive midfielder in Portuguese football, back up quality at best in the Premiership and, for the umpteenth time, a liability at centre half. If you can't see that, I can't help you any further

NQCitizen said:

On what do you base the assertion that he's performed better technically than our other defenders? The fact that he's accurately completed an average of 27 x 3 yard sideways passes per game or something? Sorry, but stats tell you nothing about the number of times he gets undone by long balls over his head or how often he pens an opponent in by the corner flag only to let him wriggle away and off into our box etc etc.
With regards Cardiff, you're doing the old straw man thing again. Where, pray, did I say that the defeat was Garcia's 'fault'? What I said was that Zabaleta and Clichy couldn't play their usual attacking games, because they couldn't risk leaving Garcia exposed 1 on 1.
As to Lescott, the big difference to Garcia, apart from the bleeding obvious fact that Joleon is an internationally capped centre half used to playing in that position, whilst Garcia, erm, isn't, is that Lescott displays a level of commitment that Garcia can only dream about. But for the avoidance of doubt, are you really trying to make out that Garcia is the better defender of the two?! If so, then this argument is redundant because you need your bumps feeling.
As someone else on here said, 10 years ago, in the wooden legged days of Claudio Reyna and a 110 year old Dietmar Hamann, Garcia wouldn't have been a bad signing. In 2013 however, he represents an astonishing waste of money. A competent defensive midfielder in Portuguese football, back up quality at best in the Premiership and, for the umpteenth time, a liability at centre half. If you can't see that, I can't help you any further

It's ok I'll do without the help. Starts today again, Pellegrini sure is taking a while to come round to the idea he's wank.

He's better at centre mid than centre back we agree. You think he's a liability, I think he's not great but better than Lescott. I think he's actually done ok as an emergency defender which those lying statistics and the results we've got do support.

I don't think having a relatively young versatile and experienced player, with the perfect attitude for a squad option represents a "waste of money".

Think this'll be another agree to disagree situation.

Hope he does well today - deep next to a midfield engine is what I've said would be the best set up for him all along.

The boss showing faith in him.Playing in midfield and aided by Yaya and Ferdy - no excuses for him today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.