Javi Garcia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Javi Garcia (merged)

BlueSiam said:
totalfootball said:
Mr. Aguia said:
Because most of his games have been at CB where your passes are naturally going to be longer. A better question would be how many of his passes have opened up the defense? How many of his passes have created any type of advantage going forward? I've never seen him make any pass that led to a scoring opportunity.

his average passing length last season was 16 yards. your argument falls flat on its face.

5 or 15 or 25 yards (which would back to the keeper or sideways to a full back) his point remains valid. Garcia does not contribute much if anything creatively. He almost always takes 'pass the parcel'. That might be OK for some teams but even for a holding mid, I don't believe it is enough for anyone playing for the current Manchester City Team.

his argument was that garcia managed to pass more than 5 yards this season because he was playing as a CB. silly of him to make such a claim.

as said before, the man is purely a defensive player, his job is to defend, win the ball back and pass it to the many creative midfielders that we have.

-- Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:26 pm --

The Flash said:
Sam Faecalmatterface said:
yayas trusty right foot said:
His position is a defensive midfield player and so he doesnt really need pace in that role..

All he needs to do is break up play and give the ball to someone more creative..

Surely a defensive midfielder will be more effective at breaking up play if he has the pace to close players down or the pace to get to passes and intercept them? I do realise that the role can be played effectively by someone who is lacking pace but only if they read the game well, like Gareth Barry for instance. I've not seen any evidence that Garcia reads the game particularly well, he certainly hasn't got the pace to close people down, he isn't some kind of hard man who is great at tackling, his passing of simple balls is ok (but then I expect any professional footballer to be able to make simple passes) and he seems to need a fair bit of thinking time when on the ball which leaves him vulnerable to being caught in possession (there was a moment near the end of the derby the other week that perfectly illustrated this where he was tackled at the edge of our box having stood there thinking for what seemed about 10 seconds). Surely there is more to being the defensive midfielder in a top 4 team than to merely be a body ambling around between the half way line and the penalty box?

I can pass a ball accurately enough over 15 yards, therefore those advocating Javi Garcia is good enough are also advocating that a 38 year-old, slightly overweight, borderline-alcoholic smoker is good enough. Because I can't read the game, I can't tackle and have absolutely no pace either.

you have no idea how quick a football game is. as an overweight 38 year old, the ball will be taken off you before you even think about passing it to someone else.<br /><br />-- Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:30 pm --<br /><br />
His position is a defensive midfield player and so he doesnt really need pace in that role..

All he needs to do is break up play and give the ball to someone more creative..

Surely a defensive midfielder will be more effective at breaking up play if he has the pace to close players down or the pace to get to passes and intercept them? I do realise that the role can be played effectively by someone who is lacking pace but only if they read the game well, like Gareth Barry for instance. I've not seen any evidence that Garcia reads the game particularly well, he certainly hasn't got the pace to close people down, he isn't some kind of hard man who is great at tackling, his passing of simple balls is ok (but then I expect any professional footballer to be able to make simple passes) and he seems to need a fair bit of thinking time when on the ball which leaves him vulnerable to being caught in possession (there was a moment near the end of the derby the other week that perfectly illustrated this where he was tackled at the edge of our box having stood there thinking for what seemed about 10 seconds). Surely there is more to being the defensive midfielder in a top 4 team than to merely be a body ambling around between the half way line and the penalty box?

garcia reads the game very well. it appears that he is strolling around the pitch doing nothing, but before you know it he intercepts a ball, blocks a shot or makes a standing tackle.

totalfootball said:
as said before, the man is purely a defensive player, his job is to defend, win the ball back and pass it to the many creative midfielders that we have.

Isn't being purely defensive (and immobile) why de Jong couldn't get in the team for the title winning season? So what's the difference between Garcia and de Jong? (Apart from de Jong being a much better player)

The Fat el Hombre said:
totalfootball said:

Isn't being purely defensive (and immobile) why de Jong couldn't get in the team for the title winning season? So what's the difference between Garcia and de Jong? (Apart from de Jong being a much better player)

Garcia doesn't get in the team either if everyone is fit.

totalfootball said:

garcia reads the game very well. it appears that he is strolling around the pitch doing nothing, but before you know it he intercepts a ball, blocks a shot or makes a standing tackle.

You think he reads the game "very well," that's fair enough. Obviously I don't agree, I'd say his reading of the game is as ordinary as every other aspect of his game.

javi garcia reads the game better than michael carrick.

stats for last season:

javi garcia :

interceptions per minute - 0.02

blocked shots per minute - 0.01

clearances per minute - 0.04

michael carrick:

blocked shots per minute - 0.006

clearances per minute - 0.02

---

javi garcia also has a higher tackling succes rate and is stronger in the air.

i have completely debunked the idea that javi garcia is a bad defensive midfielder.

totalfootball said:

stats for last season:

javi garcia :

michael carrick:

---

i have completely debunked the idea that javi garcia is a bad defensive midfielder.

If you think stats are absolute proof of something then you may have a point but there are all sorts of things that stats don't necessarily tell you. Anyway, why have you chosen Michael Carrick? Do you see him as the absolute pinnacle of defensive midfielders?

totalfootball said:

stats for last season:

javi garcia :

michael carrick:

---

If you think stats are absolute proof of something then you may have a point but there are all sorts of things that stats don't necessarily tell you. Anyway, why have you chosen Michael Carrick? Do you see him as the absolute pinnacle of defensive midfielders?

michael carrick is a one of the best in the league.

Rolee said:
The Fat el Hombre said:
totalfootball said:

Garcia doesn't get in the team either if everyone is fit.

He gets in the team far too often for my liking

Rolee said:
lasereyes said:
BigOscar said:
If you are expecting our holding midfielder to be trying defence spliting through balls or 60 yard diagonal hollywood passes, then I think you'll be dissapointed. (and if he was trying them, I think the manager would be dissapointed)

Fernandinho is a holding midfielder and is much more creative and hard-working on defence. DeJong was also a holding midfielder, but tackled like a tiger. That's what defending the back four is.

Again, if you are satisfied with Garcia passively lumbering up the field and playing the odd short pass, then don't expect championships.

No he isn't.

He is. From the horse's mouth.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11679/9031843/manchester-city-midfielder-fernandinho-targets-brazil-world-cup-spot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... d-cup-spot</a>

totalfootball said:

stats for last season:

javi garcia :

michael carrick:

---

Wow. Now you put it like that, tough to argue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.