Jimmy & Joe To Sign New Contracts

sir baconface said:
FantasyIreland said:
Mister Appointment said:
City began talking to Nasri, Kola, Dzeko, and Milner a year ago. Granted it was longer than we'd wait for Silva, Kun, etc but I wouldn't consider that letting his contract run down. What's happened is that whilst the others signed up, Milner has deliberately let his contract run down since then whilst taking double speak to new levels in terms of what he actually wants. This because the Liverpool stories have been consistent since the start of last summer.

It amuses me how certain people would sooner see this as being the clubs fault.

Then you miss the point as - unlike some - I wasn't falling over myself to apportion blame. City took a calculated gamble, which was reasonable enough at the time. Since then Milner's stock has risen, which may have altered the club's perspective but still leaves the player with lingering doubts.

Occasionally it pays to count to ten and take a more balanced look.

Basically you're saying that perhaps the club have realised a little bit too late what Milner is capable of on the field?

chris85mcfc said:
sir baconface said:
FantasyIreland said:

Then you miss the point as - unlike some - I wasn't falling over myself to apportion blame. City took a calculated gamble, which was reasonable enough at the time. Since then Milner's stock has risen, which may have altered the club's perspective but still leaves the player with lingering doubts.

Basically you're saying that perhaps the club have realised a little bit too late what Milner is capable of on the field?

The club know what Milner's capable of on the field and have offered him a contract commensurate to that. In fact I'd suggest what they've offered him is more than he's worth because he's English. Milner's leaving to go be the big dog in a smaller pond.

Mister Appointment said:
chris85mcfc said:
sir baconface said:

The club know what Milner's capable of on the field and have offered him a contract commensurate to that. In fact I'd suggest what they've offered him is more than he's worth because he's English. Milner's leaving to go be the big dog in a smaller pond.

It would be a ridiculous decision on his part if he was to leave

As well as the signing on fee that he will get at a club like Liverpool, you can probably also imagine that he will get more football there over the next few years, than he will get here

Personally, i can only see him falling further down the pecking order at City once we get further in the clear in terms of FFP

I can only imagine that the initial revised contract from the club to Jimmy was pitched at a level having him as an "occasional" man, and pay and terms to suit. With Jimmys worth to the team haven risen considerably (with the endorsement of MP) Jimmys agent wants this original offer re negotiated to reflect his true and actual worth to the club.

chris85mcfc said:
sir baconface said:
FantasyIreland said:

To some extent, yes. And the same would apply to many on Bluemoon - including me I have to admit!

From Milner's perspective, even now he's a bit of a fallback choice. I can't blame anyone in those circumstance for checking out all their options carefully.

He's not sulked or slagged off the club or flashed his knickers in public. So to call him all the bastards under the sun says more about the name-callers than Milner's integrity.

Graceyboy said:
I can only imagine that the initial revised contract from the club to Jimmy was pitched at a level having him as an "occasional" man, and pay and terms to suit. With Jimmys worth to the team haven risen considerably (with the endorsement of MP) Jimmys agent wants this original offer re negotiated to reflect his true and actual worth to the club.

Or, he's been tapped up by a rival club.

hgblue said:
Graceyboy said:

Or, he's been tapped up by a rival club.

As must happen to all players in the final year of their contracts.

Graceyboy said:

Most likely, like all the other renewals and apparently the Bony thing, it's weighted much more toward bonuses/appearances etc and lower basic wages - for the benefit of Mr Platini.

One thing Jimmy isn't is a conventional stereotypical footballer so nothing would surprise me - will he prefer more money at mid-table Liverpool or sign for us on 30th June?

Or will we take it off the table on 1st Feb, thereby reducing his bargaining power?

I'll be sad to see him go but would wish him the best and hope he doesn't end up regretting seeing out his days in mid-table mediocrity at Liverpool.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.