Jimmy & Joe To Sign New Contracts

john@staustell said:
Graceyboy said:
I can only imagine that the initial revised contract from the club to Jimmy was pitched at a level having him as an "occasional" man, and pay and terms to suit. With Jimmys worth to the team haven risen considerably (with the endorsement of MP) Jimmys agent wants this original offer re negotiated to reflect his true and actual worth to the club.

Most likely, like all the other renewals and apparently the Bony thing, it's weighted much more toward bonuses/appearances etc and lower basic wages - for the benefit of Mr Platini.

One thing Jimmy isn't is a conventional stereotypical footballer so nothing would surprise me - will he prefer more money at mid-table Liverpool or sign for us on 30th June?

Or will we take it off the table on 1st Feb, thereby reducing his bargaining power?

If he leaves I'm pretty sure it will be for greater (perceived) playing time opportunity rather than money.

He has an extremely difficult decision to make. If I were a betting man, I'd say he will stay. He would have a lot to lose by leaving the finest club in the land.

hgblue said:
Graceyboy said:
I can only imagine that the initial revised contract from the club to Jimmy was pitched at a level having him as an "occasional" man, and pay and terms to suit. With Jimmys worth to the team haven risen considerably (with the endorsement of MP) Jimmys agent wants this original offer re negotiated to reflect his true and actual worth to the club.

Or, he's been tapped up by a rival club.

Jimmy doesn't have an agent.

It looks increasingly like he's going to leave. That's his prerogative I don't see why anyone would 'wish him well' though. It's going to cause a headache for the club, unless they feel Lopes is ready to step up it's going to cost us circa £20m to replace him with someone with the requisite attributes, then there's the homegrown factor. He's a smart bloke, he knows the situation, so he's got the club over a barrel. I think he's a great player and there's no doubt he's a fan favourite but he's acting against the interests of the club and I'll be supporting the club long after he's retired.

without a dream said:
hgblue said:
Graceyboy said:

It looks increasingly like he's going to leave. That's his prerogative I don't see why anyone would 'wish him well' though. It's going to cause a headache for the club, unless they feel Lopes is ready to step up it's going to cost us circa £20m to replace him with someone with the requisite attributes, then there's the homegrown factor. He's a smart bloke, he knows the situation, so he's got the club over a barrel. I think he's a great player and there's no doubt he's a fan favourite but he's acting against the interests of the club and I'll be supporting the club long after he's retired.

You are correct, but I would add that City could have prevented this by offereing him a deadline last summer, and if he was showing any signs of uncertainty, then we should have listened to offers for him

It's a two way thing IMO, Milner knows the position the club is in, but at the same time we have allowed this position to prevail

chris85mcfc said:
without a dream said:
hgblue said:

You are correct, but I would add that City could have prevented this by offering him a deadline last summer, and if he was showing any signs of uncertainty, then we should have listened to offers for him

It's a two way thing IMO, Milner knows the position the club is in, but at the same time we have allowed this position to prevail

And Milner countered City's deadline by insisting he wanted to wait and see if he got more playing time between now and the end of the year.

They took him at his word, that it wasn't about money, this is all City are guilty of.

Milner can only be considered a disrespectful sod if he does not use the opportunity of this month to publicly lay all his cards on the table, one way or another.

If he refuses to sign in the next couple of weeks, no doubt his lack of integrity will continue to extend to fluffy soundbites between now and the end of the season, in the hope he can also blag another medal or two.

Re: Jimmy & Joe To Sign New Contracts

Plain Speaking said:
I love Milner's industry and attitude but with FFP can the club afford to let him walk away for nothing in the summer?
Should the club issue an ultimatum for say midway through this transfer window? IMO we need to force a decision.

Ok. This is getting repetitive but here goes.

We all agree money is not a problem for the club but FFP is.

Accounting in FFP terms has seen us break even with more money yet to come in.

Jimmy is in our accounts at roughly 10m a year for each year of his contract (wages-tranfer fee). When/if he leaves that money becomes available. So without receiving a penny and without affecting our FFP position we have a sizeable amount to spend on a new player.

Getting a fee for him would give us say 10m to add to the above pot of 40m (10m x4 years of contact) whilst not a small amount it gives us 12m a year to spend instead of 10 and we would have to do without him from January.

In conclusion. I am not arsed about getting a fee for him but want him to stay. If he goes then fair play to him. He has fulfilled his contract and given above and beyond, wish him farewell and concentrate on how we can spend the money released from FFP accounting (assuming restrictions are lifted).

chris85mcfc said:
without a dream said:
hgblue said:

You are correct, but I would add that City could have prevented this by offereing him a deadline last summer, and if he was showing any signs of uncertainty, then we should have listened to offers for him

Even if we tried to force him to move for a fee last summer there is no guarantee it would work. A player can refuse any proposed transfer and all you can do is threten to freeze them out wich is lose / lose imo. Its also not tapping up in the last 6 months of a contract, he is free to talk to anyone.

I personally dont have a problem with it as i am sure that if we really want him we can offer a better deal than liverpool. If he really wants to go there to be a top player for them as oposed to a steady first teamer for us but always under pressure to keep his place then that is a decision he is entitled to make. I would wish him well. The idea the clubs are entitled to dictate moves and should be entitled to secure fees is outdated and naive.

chris85mcfc said:
It would be a ridiculous decision on his part if he was to leave

As well as the signing on fee that he will get at a club like Liverpool, you can probably also imagine that he will get more football there over the next few years, than he will get here

Personally, i can only see him falling further down the pecking order at City once we get further in the clear in terms of FFP
I take it you mean wouldn't ?

If James Milner has been offered the chance to replace Gerrard, ie become their icon, then I can maybe understand why he might make that move, but he's letting go any serious chance of winning the league again, and quite possibly CL football. If he's doing that just for better money, then its a poor choice, and even if he's doing that to become Gerrard mk11 its not a wise one, because Gerrard grew up with the club, whereas Milner is being bought in, and most football fans are less tolerant of a signing, than a home grown player, if it doesn't work out right away.

I'm not sure I'd swap City/Pellegrini for Liverpool/Rodgers, Rodgers might be replaced, and he might fit the new manager.

I don't think its a done deal yet, and he may yet weigh up his options and still stay, but the longer he leaves it, the more likely he is to lose respect within City's hierarchy, so he's taking a risk.

<a class="postlink" href="https://twitter.com/mike_anstead/status/553142302152343552" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://twitter.com/mike_anstead/status ... 2152343552</a>

Great picture of James Milner blowing out the candles on his 17th birthday cake with little help from Terry Venables

B60n_fSCEAAOSHR.jpg:large

I don't understand Jimmy's stance on this...he gets as much gametime as most

The only thing I can think of...as again...it cannot be financial

He's thinking ahead...if he signs a new contract who is to say he won't be shunted out of first team opportunities in the next couple of years

He stands a better chance of first team action if he moves...not just for now...but in the future

IanBishopsHaircut said:
I don't understand Jimmy's stance on this...he gets as much gametime as most

The only thing I can think of...as again...it cannot be financial

He's thinking ahead...if he signs a new contract who is to say he won't be shunted out of first team opportunities in the next couple of years

He stands a better chance of first team action if he moves...not just for now...but in the future

Yes it can. Free transfers get a nice fat signing on fee as there's no transfer fee involved.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.