Jimmy & Joe To Sign New Contracts

gordondaviesmoustache said:
hgblue said:
Those saying he's being disrespectful are ignoring the fact that he's respected his contract, which is all the club could reasonably ask him to do imo.

I disagree. Players that respect their clubs sign contracts when they are offered, especially when concerns regarding playing time have been addressed. To run down a contract with a club that has been good to a player and delivered that player lots of silverware, and then bugger off on a free to a rival club, is the act of a twat as far as I'm concerned.
By running his contract down, I assume you mean complying with its terms.

What more can someone do other than comply with the terms and conditions of a contract?

chris85mcfc said:
hgblue said:
I disagree. Players that respect their clubs sign contracts when they are offered, especially when concerns regarding playing time have been addressed. To run down a contract with a club that has been good to a player and delivered that player lots of silverware, and then bugger off on a free to a rival club, is the act of a twat as far as I'm concerned.

What more can someone do other than comply with the terms and conditions of a contract?

The only thing that will satisfy me is an 12 inch tattoo of the City badge right over a players heart. If they dont have one of those, they can fuck off for me ;P

hgblue said:
Those saying he's being disrespectful are ignoring the fact that he's respected his contract, which is all the club could reasonably ask him to do imo.

By complying with the terms of his contract I assume you mean running down his contract to leave on a free and get a big fat payday elsewhere whilst denying City, a club under financial restrictions, a transfer fee.

It's easy to do semantic gymnastics to try and paint Jimmy as doing the right thing, but the truth is rarely do players run down their contract and leave for a rival, yet still retain the love of the supporters of the club they're leaving. As much as you keep arguing there's nothing wrong with Jimmy doing this, there is equally nothing wrong with viewing him as a mercenary twat for doing what he's doing.

Even if the law says he fulfilled the terms of his contract.

Once you allow a player to run his contract into its final year, you will always run the risk of losing him for nothing

I'm sure the club wouldn't have let this happen to Sergio, Yaya or Vinny, so why Milner?

Unless of course we are talking double standards

It'll be interesting to see if the people bemoaning Milner for his actions on carrying out his contract are the same people clapping their hands in glee over Lampard staying until the end of the season after agreeing to join up with New York City this month?

The fickle and double standards of a football fan eh?

Danamy said:
It'll be interesting to see if the people bemoaning Milner for his actions on carrying out his contract are the same people clapping their hands in glee over Lampard staying until the end of the season after agreeing to join up with New York City this month?

The fickle and double standards of a football fan eh?

How are the two situations even remotely comparable?

No point in getting too worked up over Milner. If he stays, he stays , and we can still praise his value to City yet, conversely, claim there is someone out there who is better and the Transfer Forum will be full of it. And if he goes, the same claims in the same forum will continue.

Maybe the real issue is the transfer market itself whereby players are regarded as tradeable commodities rather than as human beings who are working to legal contracts which acknowledge the rights of both players and clubs. If Milner goes, he has done nothing wrong, and if he extends his contract then that too is his right. That is a long established system in the game and every player and every club is part of it. If we cannot work the system as well as some other clubs seemingly do, then that is a question to be asked of our senior executives and not of players like Milner.

Mister Appointment said:
....the truth is rarely do players run down their contract and leave for a rival, yet still retain the love of the supporters of the club they're leaving. As much as you keep arguing there's nothing wrong with Jimmy doing this, there is equally nothing wrong with viewing him as a mercenary twat for doing what he's doing.

Gerrard?

chris85mcfc said:
Once you allow a player to run his contract into its final year, you will always run the risk of losing him for nothing

I'm sure the club wouldn't have let this happen to Sergio, Yaya or Vinny, so why Milner?

Unless of course we are talking double standards

Whole host of points here. Lets say Jimmy wants a 6 year deal at 250 grand a week and Txiki says 3 years at 100 K. Do City cave in? Should they have sold him in the summer? In which case we would have lost his services - he's been pretty useful this season - for maybe 7 or 8 million because, all said and done, he aint nowhere near as marketable as Aguero, Yaya, Kompany or Silva.

I can only assume that Txiki is working in the best interest of the club and cant see that the club has done anything 'wrong'. If he goes he goes.

I have been supporting City for 44 years and one thing you learn is that nobody is bigger than the club. Do we need Milner to stay, given FFP I would say yes, if he goes will he have a disproportionate impact on our chances of winning the league next year, not at all. Will City replace him and survive, of course no doubt.

What is best for Milner, he has a great club, fantastic facilities, brilliant fans, fully integrated support for the JM Foundation, surrounded by world class players and respected by them all, a cracking salary, the chance to win the highest honours regularly as part of a team in a very limited career.

What will he get at a "direct rival", firstly they are not direct rivals (Liverpool or Arsenal), in reality they are top 4 candidates. He will play more, he will possibly achieve a fraction of the success he can here and probably receive a lump sum taxed at a stupid amount. Then he can have a reflect on what could have been and hope for the best and watch Champions League football on TV.

These are the realities, I know what I would do and I will respect what he does. He can either remain a hero and win plenty more medals or be someone we cheer when he comes to the Etihad to invariably get beat.

Good Luck Jimmy

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.