John Stones - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had next to no defending to do across the 90 mins. However, there was two crosses in quick succession late in the 2nd half, one where he jumped to head it and another where he looked like he had borrowed someone else’s legs and feet, he missed both and thankfully so did the opposition. I know some people want to defend him no matter what but if they are celebrating last nights performance, then the expectations of Stones are pretty damn low.
And there’s an argument to be made that your expectations are too damn high at this point and you will not defend him no matter what.

There seems to be nothing Stones could do that would lead you to praise him, as you’ll find something to be unhappy about in any of his performances, and come on here only to complain about that, regardless if every other observer finds that specific performance to be exceptional.

I think it is fair to say you just don’t rate Stones — you recently proclaimed that he has “done nothing” in the context of his City career — and that’s seemingly never going to change.

And there’s an argument to be made that your expectations are too damn high at this point and you will not defend him no matter what.

There seems to be nothing Stones could do that would lead you to praise him, as you’ll find something to be unhappy about in any of his performances, and come on here only to complain about that, regardless if every other observer finds that specific performance to be exceptional.

I think it is fair to say you just don’t rate Stones — you recently proclaimed that he has “done nothing” in the context of his City career — and that’s seemingly never going to change.

So you think it is wholly unfair of me to criticise our £50m, England International centre back, who has been here for 4 seasons and who hasn’t improved one jot since arriving, despite being under the tutelage of the best manager in the world?

If Stones could turn it around and become the CB we need, I would be delighted to come on here and hold my hands up and say I was wrong. But what evidence do we have that it is even possible? The guy has never even had a full season where he has played well. It’s 5 games here and 10 games there and then we get either a series of mistakes, or yet another injury. You’re having a go at me but if what I was saying was so far from the truth, why has he gone from Peps pet project (with the biggest balls in the world), to our 4th choice CB, behind an ageing CDM in the pecking order?

We started the season expecting to challenge for the title and we are miles behind Liverpool. I know you don’t like to agree with me on anything but surely we can agree that one of the main contributory factors is our struggles at CB? Stones is a major part of the problem and to ensure that we don’t end up in the same situation in 12 months time, is it not time to cut our losses on this busted flush and purchase at least one proper CB in the summer? Or do we just continue with this seemingly continuous cycle of “oh he will come good at some point”?

So you think it is wholly unfair of me to criticise our £50m, England International centre back, who has been here for 4 seasons and who hasn’t improved one jot since arriving, despite being under the tutelage of the best manager in the world?

If Stones could turn it around and become the CB we need, I would be delighted to come on here and hold my hands up and say I was wrong. But what evidence do we have that it is even possible? The guy has never even had a full season where he has played well. It’s 5 games here and 10 games there and then we get either a series of mistakes, or yet another injury. You’re having a go at me but if what I was saying was so far from the truth, why has he gone from Peps pet project (with the biggest balls in the world), to our 4th choice CB, behind an ageing CDM in the pecking order?

We started the season expecting to challenge for the title and we are miles behind Liverpool. I know you don’t like to agree with me on anything but surely we can agree that one of the main contributory factors is our struggles at CB? Stones is a major part of the problem and to ensure that we don’t end up in the same situation in 12 months time, is it not time to cut our losses on this busted flush and purchase at least one proper CB in the summer? Or do we just continue with this seemingly continuous cycle of “oh he will come good at some point”?
So you are saying my assessment that you don’t rate Stones and that is never going to change is correct, then?

Nothing in your post, which is in line with your many previous posts, rejects that premise, so I think we are arguing about how much we agree with each other on this point.

A fair assessment of Stones. He's had his chance.

I've been saying this for a few months now but project stones is a failure and we should be looking to sell him and ottamendi not just one of them. He always has a mistake in him and hes starting to get injury prone.
Not available again. Bin him off. Like you say, Ota should be gone as well and two new CBs required. Hopefully this time we get it right.

Without letting Stones off the hook, I’d say our defensive coaching, recruitment and direction fall a long way short of world class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.