John Stones - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s actually not true. Four CBs have always been in rotation under pep in the premier league with third and fourth getting about 15 starts so that we have our best pairings playing in the bigger mid-week cup games. We play everyone in our squad literally a couple thousand minutes. Always been that way.

If he wants to stay he can play against relegation sides and early FA/league cup games.
That's literally what he said

Is it fair to judge him playing alongside the liability that is Otamendi; whose impetuosity, lack of judgement and technical nous, would make any defence vulnerable?

But I think the problem is that those criticisms also apply to John. I'd understand the blame being put on the more experienced player a couple of years ago but he's 26 now and needs to stand on his own two feet.

But I think the problem is that those criticisms also apply to John. I'd understand the blame being put on the more experienced player a couple of years ago but he's 26 now and needs to stand on his own two feet.
Stones normally is on his feet, its Otamendi whos on the ground. Stones cant account for the errors that other people are going that then piles it all onto him. Was a joke last night to put Otamendi and Garcia in that back 4, was all over the place.

Whilst he is comfortable controlling the ball I find his passing frustrating. He seems to slap the ball rather than crisply strike it, consequently he struggles to play through the lines.

however as everyone else has said, we are struggling to identify a partner for laporte for the big games. Whoever plays will be a worry.

Always think it's best to judge a player on League starts, given that they constitute our bread and butter. In the four seasons that he's been with us, he's never started more league games than he managed in his first year:

Year 1, 23
Year 2, 16
Year 3, 20
Year 4, 12 (can only make 14)

I think Guardiola improved him initially, but for whatever reason (injury/luck/confidence/ability) he has simply not kicked on, and it's now time to cut our losses and move him elsewhere. I doubt he will improve enough for us and we can no longer afford to play players who are 'okay' when paired with Laporte but drop off massively when paired with others.

I reckon he'll quite likely end up at Arsenal, where he'll form the base of Arteta's new defence.

Not. He’s either a sick note or he’s been miles behind otamendi since 16/17. Nico has logged almost 4000 more minutes in that time frame. He’s either shit, a sick note, or both.

there’s been one season where stones barely outpaced him. I find it funny that he can’t log big minutes for 4 years without any major Injuries. It’s quite clearly telling.
Can't recall John being square on to a forward player and therefore easy to beat, as often as Nico, who gets himself in this situation repeatedly in every appearance. Also, it's rare to see John on the floor having made another last gasp effort to defend, not the case with Nico.
Can't argue against the sick note thing - that's a killer - but I just think we have to get rid of Nico as an imperative, and if john's body, and or mind is not up to it then I agree both should go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.