John Stones - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's had the riot act called on him publicly. It's shit or get off the pot time. For those of us who have faith in his abilities it could be the making of him, otherwise it's no big loss cause we haven't had him for a year or so now really

Give the lad a chance it’s his first game back he needs minutes

So he's all of a sudden going to get back to being above average for the first time since Autumn 2017?

Come on.This guy isn't of the level required, he's had enough chances.

Can anyone honestly say, in his 4th season at the club, that he's made any sort of improvement?

So he's all of a sudden going to get back to being above average for the first time since Autumn 2017? Come on. This guy isn't of the level required, he's had enough chances. Can anyone honestly say, in his 4th season at the club, that he's made any sort of improvement?
He was great for the first half of last year up until he got injured and had those off the field issues

He was great for the first half of last year up until he got injured and had those off the field issues

I agree he started last season relatively well but I don't think it's a coincidence that Laporte was in flying form beside him in that same period.

I just don't think he's developed into not only the leader the club had hoped but also the ball playing defender that was supposed to be his trademark.

Sure, he's shown glimpses of being able to glide up the pitch with the ball and spray it around with ease but nothing like with the regularity we would have liked.

When Falcao muscled him off the ball to chip Willy in the Champions League, I thought that was a yardstick for him to improve upon. As in, this is the level...now either sink or swim. Yet the following season, Firmino does the same at Anfield to him and we concede and I can recall a few instances since where he just hasn't shown the aggression and intelligence needed to be a defender at the top level.

His personal problems have definitely been an issue over the last year or so and I sympathise with him 100% as life is difficult and we don't know how this has impacted upon him. However, people need to remember that issues with Stones on the field stretch back way further than that.

Did Ok apart from a daft moment in the 2nd half when he nearly presented them with a 2nd goal ,he will not play against the Rags he needs more minutes before he gets involved in the more important games. If he can stay fit until May and regain his confidence we might get £25-30m for him , but after four years under the best coach in the world who has a knack of improving players , Stones has regressed , time to cut our losses. Nothing against the lad the £50m gamble didnt pay off ,he's not good enough for elite level/champs league football.

I agree he started last season relatively well but I don't think it's a coincidence that Laporte was in flying form beside him in that same period.

I just don't think he's developed into not only the leader the club had hoped but also the ball playing defender that was supposed to be his trademark.

Sure, he's shown glimpses of being able to glide up the pitch with the ball and spray it around with ease but nothing like with the regularity we would have liked.

When Falcao muscled him off the ball to chip Willy in the Champions League, I thought that was a yardstick for him to improve upon. As in, this is the level...now either sink or swim. Yet the following season, Firmino does the same at Anfield to him and we concede and I can recall a few instances since where he just hasn't shown the aggression and intelligence needed to be a defender at the top level.

His personal problems have definitely been an issue over the last year or so and I sympathise with him 100% as life is difficult and we don't know how this has impacted upon him. However, people need to remember that issues with Stones on the field stretch back way further than that.

I can’t see him getting a new contract unless he is happy being number 4 at a club because Garcia is going to overtake him and we must surely be looking to buy someone with leadership qualities at the back to play with Laporte. One attack and they scored today. They should have scored again when he and Zinchenko were pissing about at the back.

I think with Peps comments, he is very much in last chance saloon territory now.

I can’t see him getting a new contract unless he is happy being number 4 at a club because Garcia is going to overtake him and we must surely be looking to buy someone with leadership qualities at the back to play with Laporte. One attack and they scored today. They should have scored again when he and Zinchenko were pissing about at the back.

I think with Peps comments, he is very much in last chance saloon territory now.
To be fair their goal had nothing to do with Stones . I thought he had a good game.

To be fair their goal had nothing to do with Stones . I thought he had a good game.

No I wasn’t blaming him directly for it, but I want to see more from him. Port Vale is one thing but I want to see great performances like he has had in the past on a regular basis and I just don’t see it with him. I thought he was terrible against United for example. I think he is no better now than he was when we signed him yet he has shown that he can be better. He has to do more to stay in this squad. I’m not sure he really gets that. Time will tell but I think Pep is running out of patience.

Lots of foaming about Pope’s tweets but he’s not wrong is he? Unprofessional, yes. But accurate. I’d back myself against Stones and I can’t even run for a bus without getting out of breath.

Lots of foaming about Pope’s tweets but he’s not wrong is he? Unprofessional, yes. But accurate. I’d back myself against Stones and I can’t even run for a bus without getting out of breath.

I might be wrong but I don't remember him getting the better of John yesterday. I do remember him outsmarting an inexperienced 18 year old with a clever bit of movement to meet an inch perfect cross.

All that talk of "wearing him like a johnny" didn't ring true and that same teenager took the piss out of Pope earlier by shielding the ball out and inviting the challenge only for the striker to fall flat on his arse.

But Pope did play a blinder yesterday in that he managed to reel in a load of pissy blues who couldn't take some fairly tame banter from a bloke in his mid thirties who has spent an entire career failing to make any kind of impact outside of a League Two club.

Stones did well in his first game back but memes and Twitter drama, as usual, take the spotlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.