Joleon Lescott

FantasyIreland said:
An article on Newsnow suggesting Liverpool are preparing a bid.

Find that hard to believe. They want CH's that can play the ball. That's why Skrtle has been on the outs since Rogers showed up.

Lescott can do a job in the PL as long as Vinnie is next to him, even then he's made serious mental errors. Without Vinnie he's a very mediocre player. Fine for cover this year but we need to move on next year.

kippaxchris said:
meeesh said:
kippaxchris said:
Are you sure?? You might want to think about what you have just said! Who scored the winner at Villa in the season we won the league on goal difference and who scored the second in that vital match when we beat Spurs 3-2 in the same season? How much did we get for winning the league and FA Cup? Lescott is worth every penny of that £24 Million and is a decent defender and he really isn't overrated in fact nobody actually rates him as a brilliant player

I dont have to think about naff all,yea he chipped in 2 seasons ago,but is slowly becoming a liability now,worth every penny,dont talk fucking daft

He did more than chip in he was our main defender alongside Kompany for the full season and scored some vital goals and for those reasons footballing ability aside he is worth the £24 million we supposedly paid for him!
qpr

Backwards header that made everyone shit themselves ? And that was two seasons ago when he was 'better'

I don't think I've ever seen any player look so uncomfortable with the ball at his feet. Watch him next time - fists clenched elbows in at waist and a side footed pass. I don't think he's ever used the outside of his boot?

As much as I say this I do like the guy himself. Maybe he can stay on just to be Micahs mate?

Lescott is still a very good defender.

Yes, he's not going to bring it out from the back and play quick, killers balls forward, but he does exactly what it says on the tin: he defends and defends very well for the most part.

He obviously looks better alongside Kompany. Who wouldn't? But the fact that he can looks shaky alongside others is probably more indicative of how weak the other CB is (Savic and Garcia, specifically). Remember how Dunne looked shit when he had to babysit a naïve and positionally young Richards?

The problem with Lescott is that he tends to be a little rusty if not playing regularly. If asked to come in as cover for the odd game, he often doesn't look great as he need a game or two to get up to his best. I think this is why he was weaker last season. It also suggests he's not ideal to have as cover. Can see an argument for him needing to be either a regular starter or nothing.

As a partnership, Lescott and Kompany are good enough for us to win the league again, in my opinion.

pass2silva said:
Lescott is still a very good defender.

Yes, he's not going to bring it out from the back and play quick, killers balls forward, but he does exactly what it says on the tin: he defends and defends very well for the most part.

He obviously looks better alongside Kompany. Who wouldn't? But the fact that he can looks shaky alongside others is probably more indicative of how weak the other CB is (Savic and Garcia, specifically). Remember how Dunne looked shit when he had to babysit a naïve and positionally young Richards?

The problem with Lescott is that he tends to be a little rusty if not playing regularly. If asked to come in as cover for the odd game, he often doesn't look great as he need a game or two to get up to his best. I think this is why he was weaker last season. It also suggests he's not ideal to have as cover. Can see an argument for him needing to be either a regular starter or nothing.

As a partnership, Lescott and Kompany are good enough for us to win the league again, in my opinion.
Perhaps we should have kept Kolo then?

citymad said:
24 mill. It's quite unbelievable when you think about it.

I am not a Lescott fan but he was an important part of the squad the for the past few years. 24 is not unbelievable considering what we have won with him. 50 for Torres is unbelievable. 24 for Lescott is just what we had to pay back then.

FrancoisToure said:
citymad said:
24 mill. It's quite unbelievable when you think about it.

I am not a Lescott fan but he was an important part of the squad the for the past few years. 24 is not unbelievable considering what we have won with him. 50 for Torres is unbelievable. 24 for Lescott is just what we had to pay back then.
Take the blue lenses off mate. 24 million is grossly unbelievable for Lescott. It is more unbelievable than 50 million for Torres. As Torress had at some point before his transfer, showed the talent of a 50 million dollar player. Lescott at no point in his career ever showed the quality of a player worth more than 10 million. He was a good tackler and header of the ball, who was unathletic, poor with footskills and average to poor positioning, and had never played at a top club and was already 27 when purchased, and was a defender.

Generally speaking, no defender should cost more that 20 million. The very best of them should go for about 20 to 25 million. We are talking absolute top 5 to 10 best with unique skills outside of just defending. We are talking about the Lucio at his peak, Vidic, Kompany, SIlva, Puyol at his peak and Hummels e.t.c.

Top tier: Silva, Vidic, Komps, Luiz, Ramos (Top notch or Superior Potential) 20 Million to 25
2nd Tier: Hummels, Vertonghen, Pique, Varane, Nasty Cahill (Very Good allround CDs or young new talent)

Lescott is a 3rd tier CD: Has certain qualities but limited. This guys should cost 5 - 9 million at the most.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.