Josko Gvardiol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to be honest but Gvardiol is a league winning / retaining signing. He's ridiculously talented for a 21 year old. No young defender in Europe could be a plan b for him. Hopefully we get this done. Sets our defence up for years.

Agreed. The only counter argument i have is that we have some very strong left sided defenders already. So the improvement short term might be marginal, and has more to do with depth/options.

Like the league we have just won / retained?

Meant it in a way that we play with 4 cbs 2 of those 4 are injury prone. Add Gvardiol that is rarely Injured and can play LB as well that's a league retaining signing. In that if Stones or Ake get an Injury which probably will happen, we've a got a world class defender to come in. Or the other way around he can play and keep Ake fresh

No worries with defence then.

Agreed. The only counter argument i have is that we have some very strong left sided defenders already. So the improvement short term might be marginal, and has more to do with depth/options.

Laporte is excellent with the ball but can't defend as a wide CB/LB; Aké is giodwith the ball and can defend wide CB/LB. Neither can sit alongside Rodri, forming the Stones pivot on the left side (as an alternative). Gvardiol can defend wide, is very good on the ball, with the potential to sit next to Rodri. I think in terms of progression from defence, he offers something Aké doesn't and would have a sizeable impact.

Even though there were calls for signing an extra central defender no-one really predicted the Manuel Akanji signing. Although Gvardiol was (or is) this summer's "must have" signing there are alternatives.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.