Kalvin Phillips | Joins City on a 6-year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
He does know an awful lot about his job, and the more I read and watch, he really does indeed sort of fit the mould of Fern. Great reader, ball winner, tremendous engine, suprisingly good vision and passing range. I just dunno. Fern was quite nippy in his prime, and had a neat touch. He also really helped with a tidy short passing game, lots of near one touch stuff. I really don't quite see that in Philips. I don't really know his character that well either. For me, there's something a bit meh about him, 26, at this level. Fern had proven himself extensively in the CL. I get this feeling we might find ourselves saying, good, but not great... mostly because Tika-Taka. But if he is there to really do the destructive job above all else, there are very few better.
Great point. Totally agree.

He does know an awful lot about his job, and the more I read and watch, he really does indeed sort of fit the mould of Fern. Great reader, ball winner, tremendous engine, suprisingly good vision and passing range. I just dunno. Fern was quite nippy in his prime, and had a neat touch. He also really helped with a tidy short passing game, lots of near one touch stuff. I really don't quite see that in Philips. I don't really know his character that well either. For me, there's something a bit meh about him, 26, at this level. Fern had proven himself extensively in the CL. I get this feeling we might find ourselves saying, good, but not great... mostly because Tika-Taka. But if he is there to really do the destructive job above all else, there are very few better.
I'm slightly concerned about Phillips playing out the back in tight spaces, but I remember in Dinho's first season with Pep he gave the ball away quite a few times. He got better as time went on so I'd hope for the same with Phillips. There will be moans if and when Phillips gives the ball away, but even Rodri does on some occasions. It happens, you just look for improvement. This is the position that Pep himself played and knows best what he wants from it, so he must see qualities in Phillips that makes him think he'll do the job.

If Ruben Neves would be available for a price similar to Phillips's, even 50M£, I would take Neves without a doubt, simply a better player. But as far as I know, Wolves want a crazy bill for him, around 60-70M£.

If Ruben Neves would be available for a price similar to Phillips's, even 50M£, I would take Neves without a doubt, simply a better player. But as far as I am concerned, Wolves want a crazy bill for him, around 60-70M£.
Football is all about opinions.

I wouldn’t touch Neves with a barge pole.

Really surprised by what I read on here about this player. I have such a different view of him. He’s a ball winner but under Bielsa I was always so impressed how he always showed for the ball in that lone DM position. He’s not better than Rodri but there aren’t many players who understand that role and he could definitely do a job for us for 4-6 weeks if need be. I just don’t see why he’d come here over starting somewhere else.

Last edited:
I have not seen enough of him to comment with authority but we rarely get it wrong these days. When you look at the open top parade, it is clear that the spirit in the team is tremendous with enough of the players knowing him, with Pep knowing and admiring Bielsa, and with us seeking a squad player rather than a main man, I suspect this could be a very astute buy.

If Ruben Neves would be available for a price similar to Phillips's, even 50M£, I would take Neves without a doubt, simply a better player. But as far as I know, Wolves want a crazy bill for him, around 60-70M£.
They are two types of players…
Neves can’t be a solo dm but he can play like Gundo’s types of players.

Really surprised by what I read on here about this player. I have such a different view of him. He’s a ball winner but under Bielsa I was always so impressed how he always showed for the ball in that lone DM position. He’s not better than Rodri but there aren’t many players who understand that role and he could definitely do a job for us for 4-6 weeks if need be. I just don’t see why he’d come here over starting somewhere else.
Not quite sure what that different view is, even after reading that…

You like him but only enough to bring him in for 4-6weeks, if need be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.