Kalvin Phillips | On loan at West Ham

He could have tried to intercept the ball when it went past him twice when about 4 yards away.

Make an effort stick a leg out slide to cut out the pass. Do anything but just stand there and watch. If he tries anything at all and the ball still goes in the net he get no criticism at all. But to just stand there jumping on the spot like a nervous little schoolgirl is criminal
lol, ok.

I remember Gundogan being criticised for not getting stuck in when the chips were down too.

It‘s the innate English supporter’s need for players to show desire and that they care.

If Phillips had cared enough, he could have seen the shot go in from closer quarters.

lol, ok.

I remember Gundogan being criticised for not getting stuck in when the chips were down too.

It‘s the innate English supporter’s need for players to show desire and that they care.

If Phillips had cared enough, he could have seen the shot go in from closer quarters.

Alan I don't talk shit about our players but I think we have to come to terms with.. he suits a park the bus system and not a possession based one trying to break down a low block and avoid counters.

Good player.. wrong team.

Sorta a bit like Coutinho at Brokelona. At least we didn't pay 150 mil for him though!

Seems like a good guy. But he looks like a player who doesn't really want the ball. And seems surprised when he is (crucially a few seconds too late) eventually given it. Not the end of the world. And he must be an AMAZING footballer. Remember, to get anywhere near our team he must be so good. But I can't see it happening for him at City. Hope I'm wrong. Time will tell (I think it is obvious that it already has). Meanwhile, he could at least drop the jewing gum.

Alan I don't talk shit about our players but I think we have to come to terms with.. he suits a park the bus system and not a possession based one trying to break down a low block and avoid counters.

Good player.. wrong team.

Sorta a bit like Coutinho at Brokelona. At least we didn't pay 150 mil for him though!
Agreed. He needs to go.

We don’t need to make up extra reasons though!

lol, ok.

If I’m honest I like him as a person seems sound and dead honest and I think he’s got a bit of a raw deal at the club. I was happy we signed him seemed a good player but it got off to a bad start with his injuries then Pep having a pop about his weight. That should have been done in private and not played out in the media especially with his previous poor season due to injuries.

But for me the main thing where he’s been hard done by is Rodri is so important to us as the last couple of games showed and every man and his dog knows he needs a rest. But when we are winning comfortably Rodri plays the 90min (Burnley prime example 3-0 up away in Greece a few days later then a tough game v Newcastle) add to that arsenal in the CS. or Phillips gets 5/6min dead rubber games Rodri play’s carabao cup Rodri plays. That can’t be good for his confidence I think there’s a good player in the lad but not at city. Whether Pep never wanted him doesn’t like him. But to me there seems more to it than just being not good enough.

Did he not move on in the summer because he thought he could get into the team of was it a 2 fingers to the club and saying you gave me a contract I ain’t moving. And is that why Pep ain’t giving him a look in trying to teach him a lesson or force him out.

If I’m honest I like him as a person seems sound and dead honest and I think he’s got a bit of a raw deal at the club. I was happy we signed him seemed a good player but it got off to a bad start with his injuries then Pep having a pop about his weight. That should have been done in private and not played out in the media especially with his previous poor season due to injuries.

But for me the main thing where he’s been hard done by is Rodri is so important to us as the last couple of games showed and every man and his dog knows he needs a rest. But when we are winning comfortably Rodri plays the 90min (Burnley prime example 3-0 up away in Greece a few days later then a tough game v Newcastle) add to that arsenal in the CS. or Phillips gets 5/6min dead rubber games Rodri play’s carabao cup Rodri plays. That can’t be good for his confidence I think there’s a good player in the lad but not at city. Whether Pep never wanted him doesn’t like him. But to me there seems more to it than just being not good enough.

Did he not move on in the summer because he thought he could get into the team of was it a 2 fingers to the club and saying you gave me a contract I ain’t moving. And is that why Pep ain’t giving him a look in trying to teach him a lesson or force him out.
My two penny‘s worth is that he’s a huge family guy. He’s really close to his mum and sisters. He’s got a move 40 miles down the road, being paid more than he will ever get again and is picking up loads of trophies.

I reckon his competitive fire has gone out somewhat as he probably thinks he can’t do any better for himself, barring maybe being a starter for England at the Euros.

I don’t think he isn’t trying at City. He probably just knows whatever he does, he’s not dislodging Rodri.

My two penny‘s worth is that he’s a huge family guy. He’s really close to his mum and sisters. He’s got a move 40 miles down the road, being paid more than he will ever get again and is picking up loads of trophies.

I reckon his competitive fire has gone out somewhat as he probably thinks he can’t do any better for himself, barring maybe being a starter for England at the Euros.

I don’t think he isn’t trying at City. He probably just knows whatever he does, he’s not dislodging Rodri.
I think there is a lot of truth in all you said, and I would add one other thing…if a player never plays MATCHES, he never gets “match fit!”

Grealish has looked poor over the last few games, but is given the excuse that he is building his match fitness after an injury. Meanwhile, Phillips KNOWS that if Rodri is fit, he’s getting every repetition in training and going to play 85 mins even when we are up by 3!

That’s another of Pep’s problems…he likes a very small (16) PLAYING SQUAD, and is more than happy to play players “out of position” rather than let a “squad player” get a run out in that position.

"competitive fire "

This is so true, it must be heartbreaking knowing your simply not going to be playing but does the emotion of wanting to prove people wrong and moving to another club not kick in?

If he does decide to move on, he will still have some very big clubs coming in for him, already talk of Arsenal in January, although I don't think he would move to London.

I think there is a lot of truth in all you said, and I would add one other thing…if a player never plays MATCHES, he never gets “match fit!”

Grealish has looked poor over the last few games, but is given the excuse that he is building his match fitness after an injury. Meanwhile, Phillips KNOWS that if Rodri is fit, he’s getting every repetition in training and going to play 85 mins even when we are up by 3!

That’s another of Pep’s problems…he likes a very small (16) PLAYING SQUAD, and is more than happy to play players “out of position” rather than let a “squad player” get a run out in that position.
True. Grealish has shown he has a role in the team and that we can win with him playing. He has that money in the bank.

We've never seen that with Kalvin. I don’t think many of us want him to fail, just that we haven’t seen anything from him in 15 months to suggest he helps our team.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.