Kalvin Phillips

We need to involve him in the Paqueta deal somehow. I imagine he's been told behind the scenes he won't be getting any meaningful minutes; so rejuvenate yourself at a West Ham or see your career fizzle to nothingness.

We made a mistake. He isn't good enough and moreover, he isn't trusted. Our manager couldn't have made it clearer with those subs last night.

trying to involve him in that deal would be the most logical thing and that's assuming West Ham want him

I suppose the thing is now is that he has had one half decent season in the premier league three seasons ago, and then the next season he spent a lot of it injured and was poor when he actually played and then he came to us and barely played at all. I'm not sure clubs now are thinking they're getting some solid Premier League midfielder that plays for England, they might be looking at him and thinking he's just a player that's spent most of his career in the championship and had one half decent season in the premier league three years ago, so they might be looking out for better option in that position.

I'm sure clubs would take him for the right price or part of the right deal though.

I think he needs to go if he has ambition to play regular football. Nice lad but we're the best team in the world and he's not really on that level. No shame in that, not many are. He would still be a decent signing for a mid table team that can get him playing regularly.

Last edited:
trying to involve him in that deal would be the most logical thing and that's assuming West Ham want him

I suppose the thing is now is that he has had one half decent season in the premier league three seasons ago, and then the next season he spent a lot of it injured and was poor when he actually played and then he came to us and barely played at all. I'm not sure clubs now are thinking they're getting some solid Premier League midfielder that playse for England, they might be looking at him and thinking he's just a player that's spent most of his career in the championship and had one half decent season in the premier league three years ago, so they might be looking out for better option in that position.

I'm sure clubs would take him for the right price or part of the right deal though.

I think he needs to go if he has ambition to play regular football. Nice lad but we're the best team in the world and he's not really on that level. No shame in that, not many are. He would still be a decent signing for a mid table team that can get him playing regularly.
Read somewhere that West Ham would like to have Palmer included in the Paqueta deal. Hopefully it's Phillips instead...

Read somewhere that West Ham would like to have Palmer included in the Paqueta deal. Hopefully it's Phillips instead...

If part of the deal was Palmer on loan, it'd be worth considering. Wouldn't want to see him moving on permanently this early because he has real potential.

But yeah Phillips is the logical one. Did West Ham replace Rice? I know they were trying to buy that Scottish prick from the rags, so it seems they're looking for a midfielder still, but that seems to not have been accepted and only Maguire is going.

So i reckon they should take Phillips as part of a deal. We get our player, they get a midfielder they need and everyone's happy.

He's been mint for Leeds in the PL and superb for England. The bloke deserves some minutes, not sure what's gone on in training and behind the scenes. Would be disappointed if he went to be honest.

West Ham have just signed Alvarez from Ajax who’s a DM so they might not even want Phillips anymore

I suppose the thing is now is that he has had one half decent season in the premier league three seasons ago, and then the next season he spent a lot of it injured and was poor when he actually played and then he came to us and barely played at all. I'm not sure clubs now are thinking they're getting some solid Premier League midfielder that plays for England, they might be looking at him and thinking he's just a player that's spent most of his career in the championship and had one half decent season in the premier league three years ago, so they might be looking out for better option in that position.

Regardless of how "good" he may or may not be its obvious Pep doesn't rate him or at the very least does not see him as a fit. I've been one to advocate patience but Pep opted not to bring him on up 3 goals late on and give Rodri a bit of a blow before Wednesday's Super Cup match. Pep used his 5 subs in a match that was already decided in which Dias and Stones were unavailable and KDB stepped off early. No injuries for Phillips, a full pre-season and not a minute. Unlike some others who enjoy ripping the guy because Pep doesn't feel inclined to play him I'm going to keep it about football and squad make up. That said at this point Phillip's future with us needs to be resolved sooner rather than later. He's become an expensive non-entity occupying an important roster spot without contributing anything meaningful to the side.
I can't see a realistic way into a viable role for him here and it's not beneficial to us and certainly not to him and his career for him to stay. There's nothing to feel bad about. He's a well paid professional with many other avenues available to him outside of City.

While I get the whole "he wants to stay and prove himself" thing someone close to him needs to advise him. I'd go so far as to say Southgate should let him know that the status quo will cost him any chance of being part of the England side in next Summer's Euros. Maguire seems to have gotten the message. We have no idea what Pep may or may not have said to him, but this is clearly a case of actions speak louder than words.

Start Phillips next game to see where we are at because Rodri burning out is unthinkable.
I think if he does stay he must be trusted to start the odd important game. Otherwise what is the point in keeping the guy. He is not an emerging academy talent who can benefit from exposure to the first team environment. Either he can play a role when asked or he can't. Perhaps start him on Wednesday night and see what happens? Time to shit or get off the pot!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.