Kalvin Phillips

I don't think it takes a genius to believe that Pep doesn't rate him. Pep's not about to hound him out by making him train with the EDS or leave him out of the squad. This is not a personality clash in the way that it was with Cancelo. So Pep is handling the situation in a way that is appropriate and professional - he's allowing Phillips to fulfil his obligations as a first-team squad member. But Pep is under no obligation to give him minutes. We are not a charity and we operate in a highly pressurised and competitive environment. I'd say we're managing it well - not humiliating him, but demonstrating in no uncertain terms that he is surplus to requirements. It has been alleged that Phillips isn't getting the message, but he will get no minutes against Seville, none against Newcastle, and none against Sheffield United. He will certainly get the message by the end of the month. You wouldn't be surprised if Gareth Southgate gets in touch with him before the end of the month and says "you need to get yourself some game time or you can forget next summer".

If signing Phillips was to keep Rodri on his toes, inspired. If signing Phillips was to keep Rodri on his backside, uninspired.

I really had hopes for Kalvin before pre-season kicked off, but for him not to get minutes even at the end of the Community Shield - when he had been warming up on the touchline for most of the second half - was a massive blow.

It’s clear something is very wrong somewhere, likely in the fact for whatever reason Pep just doesn’t trust him. At all. There’s a lot we don’t see behind the scenes but there are clearly things Pep and the coaching staff don’t like.

All of which is a shame as he’s actually a decent player and seems like a nice guy.

Let’s see what happens this week but if he can’t get any minutes in the next couple of games it’s looking all over to me.

FWIW I don’t think he helped himself by defending the fact he turned up overweight after the World Cup with the water retention and whatnot. Even if he genuinely thinks that, airing his thoughts like that publicly belittled Pep’s/the club’s own policy on weight management and would have done him no favours.

I really had hopes for Kalvin before pre-season kicked off, but for him not to get minutes even at the end of the Community Shield - when he had been warming up on the touchline for most of the second half - was a massive blow.

It’s clear something is very wrong somewhere, likely in the fact for whatever reason Pep just doesn’t trust him. At all. There’s a lot we don’t see behind the scenes but there are clearly things Pep and the coaching staff don’t like.

All of which is a shame as he’s actually a decent player and seems like a nice guy.

Let’s see what happens this week but if he can’t get any minutes in the next couple of games it’s looking all over to me.

FWIW I don’t think he helped himself by defending the fact he turned up overweight after the World Cup with the water retention and whatnot. Even if he genuinely thinks that, airing his thoughts like that publicly belittled Pep’s/the club’s own policy on weight management and would have done him no favours.
The guy honestly looks like he still can't believe he is at our club, and for me that's the issue.

He is talented, you don't have the career he has if your not, but I question his mentality, simply not at an elite level.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.