Keir Starmer

To be fair the present brexit deal is shite and everyone knows it

Nowt there says we are rejoining, just agreeing new trade terms, which makes sense as we have royally fucked up the present one.

The rabid brexiteers and also those that wank themselves silly over the european union will equally be dismissive as for them it is all or nothing, no inbetween or compromise, you are fully in or fully out, I doubt the businesses and general public that suffer because of both of these tossers see it that way

A better deal with the EU means, among other things, accepting the Four Freedoms, which he has ruled out.

It's no use saying 'I want a swim, but I don't want to get in the water or get wet.'

You can't just tell the EU what you want and get it. I thought by this time we would have at least have realised that.

The change in tone is welcome, but he's either naïve, or he dare not say what he means, or he's just saying what he thinks people want to hear. You choose.
He’s trying to deflect from the more fundamental questions he’ll face around Brexit in the run up to the election by disingenuously talking up the prospect of renegotiating the TCA as a whole in 2025.

There’s no prospect for a major renegotiation from the EU - the bulk of the agreement works as designed given the UK’s third country status - and it’s simply an early move by Starmer to deflect and not become bogged down on the issue. Labour will presumably stick to this 2025 renegotiation rhetoric while the Conservatives will talk up the prospect of more trade deals outside of the EU, and so it could just descend into a bit of a phoney war.

The article by Munchau posted above is a fairly neat take down of Starmer’s position but it fails to highlight the areas of the TCA which will need to be renegotiated before 2025, such as electric cars, energy policy and fisheries. There is the prospect of some progress here and Starmer is right to highlight the issue of food standards, but the point is that the current government will be negotiating on several of these issues before the election and well before the 2025 review of the TCA.

So, in actual fact, Starmer is not offering anything radically different from what will begin to occur over the next few months, even if he’s open to discussions on a broader range of issues.

You sound very much like you’re convincing yourself to hold your nose and vote Conservative.

I will be voting SNP purely to try and dispose our Tory MP up here as I live in one of the parts of Scotland that due to its proximity to England and it’s huge farming community is still very much Tory.

I will be voting SNP purely to try and dispose our Tory MP up here as I live in one of the parts of Scotland that due to its proximity to England and it’s huge farming community is still very much Tory.

X2PHX6QCNJHJDDUOAT5AYWTP5Q.jpg

A better deal with the EU means, among other things, accepting the Four Freedoms, which he has ruled out.

It's no use saying 'I want a swim, but I don't want to get in the water or get wet.'

You can't just tell the EU what you want and get it. I thought by this time we would have at least have realised that.

The change in tone is welcome, but he's either naïve, or he dare not say what he means, or he's just saying what he thinks people want to hear. You choose.
Was listening to one of the head people from the EU today who was saying the talks with Starmer were a welcome move from the UK and that they were basically looking forward to dealing with Starmer. I was unaware that he’d met them but their must’ve been some contact for both parties to be talking in such terms.

To be fair the present brexit deal is shite and everyone knows it

Nowt there says we are rejoining, just agreeing new trade terms, which makes sense as we have royally fucked up the present one.

The rabid brexiteers and also those that wank themselves silly over the european union will equally be dismissive as for them it is all or nothing, no inbetween or compromise, you are fully in or fully out, I doubt the businesses and general public that suffer because of both of these tossers see it that way
You only have to listen to certain groups to see which way we should be heading. If the ERG, et al, are against it, then you know it’s got to be good for the majority.

As long as they don’t go too far and start talking about full membership then I think you’re exactly right, there will be a majority that support this policy.

Starmer and the Labour right wing treatment of Dianne Abbott is nothing short of disgusting.

You can smell that **** Akehurst all over it. denying local democracy and installing candidates against CLPs wishes is abominable. It is further evidence the left is being marginalised in a left wing party.

I hope she stands as an Independent and smashes it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.