Keir Starmer

I am reminded of when, long ago, I went to Union meetings and spent ages listening to debates about condemning General Pinochet. We condemned him all right, but strangely he didn't give a fuck about our motions. We might as well have passed a motion to move Christmas to August for all the good it did.

Much of politics is like this, and the result of the vote just makes you smug or angry depending on your position. It has no real-world impact at all.

When the British people vote in the GE it will be 90% about economic factors, with a strong coat of feeling about the Government's general competence, or lack of it. Fortunately - and I do say, fortunately - I don't think personalities will come into this time. Neither Starmer nor Sunak has one. After that lying clown Johnson and his so-called charisma, I rate that a good thing. This is not a stupid game show on ITV. It actually matters.

His personal approval ratings are comparable to Howard and Duncan-Smith prior to their election defeats.

The only people that really seem to like him are Lib Dem voters.

Me and my fellow Lib Dem voters out here catching stray bullets :(

I will (and have previously) vote for either party depending on the context and situation. It’s true, I don’t mind voting for Starmer, but I’ve said before that doesn’t mean I find him to be a particularly agreeable, inspirational or engaging leader. He just looks competent enough to do the job without undermining democracy which is sadly a somewhat rare trait among our options at the moment.

Lib Dem stalwarts probably like him because they have learned that competent and dull tends to pragmatically work better.

I still find his position on the Gaza vote very strange, but it hardly shakes the foundations of what I think of him. I just think he’s wrong on this one particular issue - as do many of his Labour Party who continue to support him.

Me and my fellow Lib Dem voters out here catching stray bullets :(

I will (and have previously) vote for either party depending on the context and situation. It’s true, I don’t mind voting for Starmer, but I’ve said before that doesn’t mean I find him to be a particularly agreeable, inspirational or engaging leader. He just looks competent enough to do the job without undermining democracy which is sadly a somewhat rare trait among our options at the moment.

Lib Dem stalwarts probably like him because they have learned that competent and dull tends to pragmatically work better.

I still find his position on the Gaza vote very strange, but it hardly shakes the foundations of what I think of him. I just think he’s wrong on this one particular issue - as do many of his Labour Party who continue to support him.
Starmer and his PLP keep ignoring the policies the party agree to in a democratic forum.

The PLP, along with the full time paid officers are fully entranced with the neo liberal Blair Foundation philosophy who do not believe in democratically agreed policies that will affect their ideology.

Labour will get a 5 year term. After that the Tories may well get back in and Labour party as the party protecting the interests of the many will be dead.

Yet Labour are miles ahead in the polls either people are voting on things other than pesonality or anyone that can get this bunch of crooks and charlatans out of power will do. Either way it shows just what the country thinks of this bunch of twats in power now.
It's also notable that both parties have had internal issues this week.

Labour have a genuine issue of conscious where some MPs want to take a tough stand on a genuine problem where as the leadership want to play safe.

The tories on the other hand have had to sack a front bench minister for rabble rousing a gang of thugs who caused havoc on memorial weekend and in the following week a shithouse policy got struck down by the courts prompting outrage by some that not enough is being done to get clearly unlawful and unworkable policies up and running.

Starmer and his PLP keep ignoring the policies the party agree to in a democratic forum.

The PLP, along with the full time paid officers are fully entranced with the neo liberal Blair Foundation philosophy who do not believe in democratically agreed policies that will affect their ideology.

Labour will get a 5 year term. After that the Tories may well get back in and Labour party as the party protecting the interests of the many will be dead.

Unfortunately allowing the membership/ general population to vote isn’t always a good thing … Liz Truss and Brexit being just 2 examples.

I think they’re fair points but I also think it’s hard to know until we get into election campaigning mode how much of the PLP’s current positioning is them just keeping their powder dry when we’re not in the election cycle, versus how much is a genuine policy stance.

I still hold a (perhaps naive) hope that when we get to the stage where manifestos are being published, there will be plenty in there for the broad church of Labour Party supporters to get behind.

It would be foolish for them to blow their cover this early just for the Tories to steal a bunch of great ideas and rebadge them as original.

Whats more democratic, paid up unelected members with their own idiology and agenda or an MP elected by the public that has to keep that public on their side to win back their seat next year.
Parties that allow paying unaccountable members too much power end up like this Tory government or the Corbyn led Labour party.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.