Keir Starmer

Absolutely agree with that, we're in Pension Draw downs and come age around 76/77 if we live that long (currently 65 and 67) we'll either downsize, take equity release or possibly both.

My beef is nothing to do with our situation, I'm ok with the WFP being stopped for us, it's those in a less fortunate position I'm upset over. My older mate of 75 who comes to football with us has his state and private pension and gets by ok. However the WFP is the equivalent of his annual holiday with his pals, he's not going now, it's ok for others to say he used the payment to subsidise his holiday but that amount lost without notice has cost him a week away. He now lives on his own and that week was very important for his mental health, something he really looked forward to. He could give up his Season Ticket but going to games is what he's done for the past 60 plus years and he enjoys the company.

sorry but again that proves the point - the Winter Fuel Payment does a clearly defined job. If its funding someones holiday then by definition he didn't NEED it. Thats the issue with a unilateral payment - people used it to "their" their grand kids many of whom would be of the mindset that if you can't afford kids don't have them why should the state pay you? I can imagine the outcry had Starmer announced yesterday we were setting up a Pensioners Holiday Scheme where they can claim back the cost of their jollies

People have different expectations. I know someone who has a household income made up of two state pensions, a very small private pension and income from a part-time day job she chooses to do for the crack. She has to pay income tax, but she says she has never been better off and hardly knows what to spend her money on.

There are others who struggle on 100k a year and think life is tough because they can only afford two foreign holidays a year and a 3 series BMW.

We all tend to live up to our income, that's for sure. And so any loss is resented.

Just revealed he took £20k off you know who again for accommodation during the election campaign for somewhere quiet for his son to study for his GCSE exams?

Seriously, WTF?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.