Kevin De Bruyne 2016/17

i think he can, just not every week (especially away from home). he's unfortunately in that group of players who come to the Premier League from the continent and can't quite adjust to the intense schedule long-term. Germany have a winter break, fewer league games, and i think i'm right in saying that Germany only has one major cup competition. also, when you're at a team like Wolfsburg all your competition gets sold off to the mid-table clubs in England. it's more relaxed.

clearly the guy is talented - he's already contributed to 24 goals this season in 30 games (11 goals, 13 assists) which is absolutely astounding for a debut season. i'd argue that he carried us through October. but we need to take care of him, like using our squad intelligently when we're on the road. admittedly he may have had increased rest time if Nasri was fit, but starting him in every away game when he's clearly struggling is poor man management from Pellegrini.

he did this with Negredo and it killed him off. we were 6-0 up from the first leg in the League Cup semi-final in 2014 but he still insisted on playing Negredo in the second game, during which he picked up a shoulder injury that turned into a back injury and he's never been the same since. De Bruyne has time on his side and I think, with Pep hopefully in charge next year, he'll become more important than Silva has been in terms of the rise of this club.

but as far as the next few months are concerned, Pellegrini has to manage him a little better than he has been doing so far. an overwhelming majority of De Bruyne's best games have come at the Etihad which is no surprise (Aguero was the same in his first season) because we play on the front foot and that really plays to his strengths. maybe Pellegrini should just let him watch a few away games just to see how we operate differently on the road rather than leaving us a man short in some games because he's not adjusted properly?

Last edited:
These Silva/De Bruyne threads make me laugh ... as if anyone can "command" a place in the starting xi. it's just who pellers thinks best for the game. considering the impact silva always has & the goal-assist return kdb has already provided, i think pellers will keep his confidence in them for quite a while to come. that doesn't mean they will always start though, just standard rotation

Palace away, Newcastle home, Bournemouth home, United away, Sevilla home, Liverpool home, Villa away, West Ham home, Juventus away, Spurs away.

Not sure if you're on a wind up or if you genuinely don't know what a playmaker is?

Palace away, Newcastle home, Bournemouth home, United away, Sevilla home, Liverpool home, Villa away, West Ham home, Juventus away, Spurs away.

His goals/assists record overall makes it plain just how effective he has been both individually and also in comparison to Sterling, Silva, and Navas. Even whilst playing poorly he generally will deliver a goal or an assist per match. That's what makes him more important than the others who often play well and still don't deliver the final pass/shot/goal.

His goals/assists record overall makes it plain just how effective he has been both individually and also in comparison to Sterling, Silva, and Navas. Even whilst playing poorly he generally will deliver a goal or an assist per match. That's what makes him more important than the others who often play well and still don't deliver the final pass/shot/goal.

Exactly. What annoys me is this naive and simplistic view that he can't play away from home because in actual fact he creates more chances away than he does at home.

The reason I'd have De Bruyne over Silva is even when he's poor, he offers a threat.

Exactly. What annoys me is this naive and simplistic view that he can't play away from home because in actual fact he creates more chances away than he does at home.

The reason I'd have De Bruyne over Silva is even when he's poor, he offers a threat.

Right now KDB is playing mildly better. I'd love a way to get the best out of both of them but Pellegrini hasn't cracked that.

The reason you state is the main reason I can see KDB rarely being dropped or rested. His return in terms of goals and assists and his ability to consistently provide the killer ball makes him hard to take out of a team which isn't at its best in an attacking sense. Even if his personal form has dipped.

Right now KDB is playing mildly better. I'd love a way to get the best out of both of them but Pellegrini hasn't cracked that.

The reason you state is the main reason I can see KDB rarely being dropped or rested. His return in terms of goals and assists and his ability to consistently provide the killer ball makes him hard to take out of a team which isn't at its best in an attacking sense. Even if his personal form has dipped.

But I personally believe the reason De Bruyne is struggling is because he's being swapped positionally every week. For me, build the side around him, surround him with pace and he'll flourish.

But I personally believe the reason De Bruyne is struggling is because he's being swapped positionally every week. For me, build the side around him, surround him with pace and he'll flourish.
Nail on head. Lets not pretend that this is not a major issue/problem for him

I think the OP is spot on. If it ain't broke don't fix it. If it is, then do. Navas has been quality this season in terms of his threat, particularly away from home. Teams at home are not showing us any respect. We're not the possession football side that an opposition team couldn't get near anymore. So they come at us. To counter that the likes of Sterling and Navas are such a threat and Silva just excels when the defenders can't come to close to him for fear of the threat out wide. De Bruyne hasn't been good away from home, so drop him. That break will mean he's fresh for a home game like Everton or for similar in the FA Cup/CL - we've got enough games to be playing certain players where they play their best football and Kev's is at home. Similarly with Yaya, he's been generally much more dominant still in home games than away where at times he's seemed off the pace. We need to use him carefully. Against a strong mobile midfield, he either needs to come off the bench or start alongside someone who can cover him all game (Fernandinho).

We do have a side with balance. Pellegrini is just not playing it. He's making us lop sided at times with Silva wide. Or making us too soft centred. De Bruyne doesn't do much defensive work and away from home you have to work incredibly hard (as Navas and Sterling would).

Hart
Clichy
Demichelis
Otamendi
Sagna
Fernandinho
Delph
Sterling
Silva
Navas
Aguero

That's an away side.

Hart
Kolarov
Demichelis
Otamendi
Zabaleta
Fernando/dinho
Yaya
Silva
Sterling
De Bruyne
Aguero

That's a home side.

You've got players to integrate into that to chop and change.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.