Freestyler said:
hold on is kolarov an attacker?

sorry i'm confused.

He's a defender isn't he?

And welcome to the 1970s

Ask Dani Alves what he does best.

Alves can defend.

Kolarov can't.

Alves can defend, i've heard it all now, watch highlights of him for Sevilla and games for Brazil. Hes a right footed Bale but 10 yards deeper.

Lahm is a full back that is equally good both defending and attacking, Alves is primarily used as an attack minded wing back. Abidal cuts in so often to make a back 3.

Freestyler said:
He's that bad Alves, we even went in for him.

Nobody is calling Alves bad, but he isn't a great defender.

Trying the sarcasm card as you don't understand modern day football is pretty pathetic, nowadays fullbacks attack. I don't think Kolarov is great either, but he has a great cross.

If Bale was at Barca he'd play lb. He would be identical to Alves.

Once again, the best full back in the world that can attack and defend is lahm, most other world class full backs are limited to being great at one or the other.

ManCitizens. said:
Freestyler said:

Trying the sarcasm card as you don't understand modern day football is pretty pathetic, nowadays fullbacks attack. I don't think Kolarov is great either, but he has a great cross.

Once again, the best full back in the world that can attack and defend is lahm, most other world class full backs are limited to being great at one or the other.

I don't understand modern day football?

I think you will find i do, i think my job would defy that statement for a start.

Yeah i know our style of play is also built around wing backs and relying on them to get forward. But he has two jobs to four fill, one of them he's average at and the other he can't do.

But if all were gonna use him for his attacking ability then it's pointless isn't it?, he makes about 3 good crosses from a possible 8 or 9 and suddenly he's top. That in itself shows how much we rate him.

If we entirely rate him on 'having a good cross' then i'm baffled.

Freestyler said:
ManCitizens. said:
Freestyler said:

I don't understand modern day football?

I think you will find i do, i think my job would defy that statement for a start.

Yeah i know our style of play is also built around wing backs and relying on them to get forward. But he has two jobs to four fill, one of them he's average at and the other he can't do.

But if all were gonna use him for his attacking ability then it's pointless isn't it?, he makes about 3 good crosses from a possible 8 or 9 and suddenly he's top. That in itself shows how much we rate him.

If we entirely rate him on 'having a good cross' then i'm baffled.

Thats my point, i don't rate him but tonight he was good. In general he has a brilliant cross. Maybe i think his crossing is better than it is because nobody else in our team seems to cross, who knows.

The reason i picked up on your original statement was because it sounded like an old fashioned "a defender is there to defend and nothing else". If i interpreted it wrong then i apologise but modern day full backs at top teams rely more on attacking than defending. I'd argue that Zaba is a better defender and tackler than Richards but i think Richards is a better full back for example.

Yes he can whip a decent ball in but ultimately his job is to defend and he isn't very good at it,the fact he cost us a goal tonight,can't tackle,lacks mobility and is positionally clueless doesn't matter because he can occasionally cross a ball? What a load of shite!

Call me old fashioned but i'd sooner us have two players on the pitch,one who can play on the wing and cause havoc with their attacking intent and one plays at full back and can actually break up play and prevent the opposition from creating goal scoring opportunities,just a thought......

He looks good until he has to defend! It's quite frightening watching him and Savic next to each other, neither look confident with players running at them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.