Kolo Toure [Merged]

johnmc said:
Its bollocks though the SSN headline really.

City are close to agreeing a £16m fee for Toure?? How does that work. You can either be close to agreeing an as yet unknown fee or have agreed a fee of £16m.

Have we said we will give you £16m for Toure, and Arsenal have said we will sell at £20m.

City - "£16m"

Arsenal - "£19m??"

City - "£16m"

Arsenal - "£18m??"

City - "£16m"

Arsenal - "£17m??"

We are getting close

lmfao

hello said:
Your not suppose to sat that if this deal looks like going ahead, you are suppose to says he shite,past it crap, useless, cant head a ball etc etc.

Anyhow how much of this 40m will Wenger use for your squad?

I can see past the qualities that blind some Arsenal fans. Hence the reason I picked the user name.

And I don't think Arsene will spend too much of it. Honestly its a big cloud surrounding all transfer activity. There was a point where I thought for sure Blaise Matuidi was going to come, but that all died down after the Ade transfer.

ARSENE Wenger’s nickname of ‘The Professor’ is entirely apt and not just because of his measured manner, ­undoubted intelligence, the economics degree obtained at Strasbourg University or his fluency in five languages.

He has accurately judged and stud ied his Arsenal players’ strengths and weaknesses and does so with an almost-religious zeal.

And that methodical, calculating process would have undeniably been a major factor in his decision to dispense with Kolo Toure’s experienced services to Manchester City – as well as the eye-watering transfer value of a player who will be 29 next March and was approaching the last year of his contract .

Wenger is an unashamed fan of the ProZone system, arguably the greatest advocate of the statistical Leeds-based company which provides detailed match analysis on team and player performances . So much so, that Wenger and Arsenal have extended their contract with ProZone into a 10th consecutive year, the longest standing association with a manager and club.

At the flick of a switch, following the installation of 10 cameras at the Emirates, Wenger can find out all he needs to know about a specific player, much more detail than who has run the most miles or a percentage of completed passes.

In Wenger’s methodical mind, he will be acutely aware of where the passes were delivered – forward or sideways – the time it took and, down to a decimal point, the speed.

And according to revealing Opta Premier League stats on Sky Sports for defenders last season, Toure ranked 67th in aerial duels, winning 44.4 per cent of his 72 challenges.

He was listed 28th in tackles – a success rate of 77.7 per cent in 54 attempts – and made 222 clearances to be 35th in that department.

Toure, who can also play in midfield, was ranked 16th in his passing accuracy of 83.2 per cent – in a list headed by Chelsea’s former City target John Terry on 90 per cent. Just last month Wenger said: “Football is a game of opinions and I’ve always tried to make the right decisions.

SEARCH FOOTBALL for:

“When you want to make a decision, you want to make sure you know as much as you can about the game and about the player.

“So I believe data does not make the decision , it helps you to make a better one. And it’s easier to know the player, his physical and technical qualities. And after that you transform it into your own knowledge and try to make the right decision.”

Some seasoned Arsenal observers have speculated that Toure is not the force he was . But regardless, Wenger would have taken everything into account, including the remaining six potential central defenders he has .

And all the numbers, especially from a financial point of view in terms of excellent business and profit margins, have attractively added up for Wenger to bid Toure au revoir .

For a player who cost £150,000 from Ivory Coast club Asecs Mimosa in February 2002 and after 326 appearances and seven years at Arsenal, the expected £13.85million profit was too handsome to refuse.

Since Toure established himself in the title-winning 2003-04 ‘Invincibles’ team – when he made 55 appearances – the last two terms have been his lowest in terms of outings, 41 in each, with last season being his fewest starts, 38 in all competitions.

No matter that Toure is the last remaining member of Wenger’s unbeaten side – coincidentally the last season the Gunners lifted the Premier League title.

Like all the best and most successful managers , Wenger has to suspend sentiment, loyalty and personal friendship for the greater club good, what is best for his side .

It is why club legends such as Thierry Henry and Patrick Vieira were sold and why the likes of Emmanuel Adebayor, Nicolas Anelka and Marc Overmars left – those five bringing in a profit of about £68m .

One of the areas which Wenger identified as a problem for Arsenal last season was their vulnerability in the air at the back .

And one of those men who could plug that gap from within the club, Johan Djourou, was actually picked out by Toure in April as a “really good and intelligent player”.

Djourou, 22, and about 6ft 4in – bigger than six-footer Toure – is more than up for the challenge after making 29 appearances last season.

MORE PROOF THAT YET AGAIN I AM RIGHT. KOLO TOURE IS FINISHED.

While the general consensus around the Arsenal fans is that Djourou is a phenomenal prospect, he wasn't the one carrying the defensive line.

Djourou lacks the aggressiveness of Toure and while he is quite strong mentally, he is prone to making big goal causing mistakes. Make no mistake about it City fans, Toure is still quite good. Not to mention he is one of the few winners in our squad. We are only willing to sell because Gallas is a superior player and the partnership between them never worked out.

Toure has about 4 or 5 good years left in him.

ANTMCFC..
Give it a rest son,we get the idea, now he's not even signed yet so chill out , and if he does, support him because he'll be a blue ..

One thing I do know is Arsenal will use the funds wisely.

Their business acumen has played a large part on ensuring they have stayed in the top four for sometime despite not nearly shelling out the money that Manure and Chelsea have in the past and we are now.

We certainly need strengtening in the back half if we are to challenge for a top six spot this season but be mindful of the fact that too many new faces will in all probability take sometime to gel.

I don't want to see too many more of last seasons regulars leave us now even if we get two or three new faces in defence from now until Aug 31.

The thing we have missed most at the back is positional play and straight forward defensive smarts! I think Toure brings these things in bucketfuls!

For the last few seasons, we have had Richards not doing so well while DUnne was winning accolades. Last season, Ned's game improved dramatically (though STILL a bit green, with the pace to make up for mistakes) as Dunney's dropped to its lowest level for years. Add to that, the FACT that we have had some longstanding weakness in the full back positions, and it was clear that ANY TEAM that could get around the middle of the midfield was in with a shout and ANY team that could get a few corners, or free kicks in the last 30 meters, was in with a shout of picking up a goal. Given was a VAST improvement, as he commands his area by voice (too bad it was not by coming out and winning a few in the air!!!), but it would be EXCELLENT to get some QUALITY AND EXPERIENCE (BOTH TOGETHER!) in front of him. Throw Toure and Lescott into the mix with Ned and Dunne, and you have injury/suspension cover across the entire back line, with Zab, Richards, Bridge and even Ned (and Barry?!) fighting for the full back positions. Competition and INTERNATIONAL QUALITY competition at that can only be a VERY good thing for City!

Logical Gunner said:
Make no mistake about it City fans, Toure is still quite good.

Quite good? If ever someone was damned with faint praise. I think I know what you are saying though. I'll be happy to have him at City, new lease of life and all that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.