Kolo Toure [Merged]

For me, Toure represents a 'sensible' buy. He brings good premier league experience, he has pace, power and the 'know how' of a seasoned campaigner. He is the kind of defender that Micah or, particularly, Nedum could become.

If we wanted someone really dominant in tha air (sick of conceding from set pieces), I'm not sure we'll be that much further on. Similarly, if we were looking for leadership on the pitch beyond that offered by Dunne, Given, Kompany... ahem Bellars etc, then once again...
Finally, if we were looking for a footballing defender to build from the back...

Not saying he's not worth having, but just I don't expect Kolo Toure to solve all our defensive woes if he is our only signing. Personally, would like to see Vinny groomed for a central defensive role. I know positionally he needs to become a bit more aware, but he has the physical presence, speed, aerial ability and footballing brain. He reminds me of a young camel gob. When he first arrived on the scene he was definitely prone to the odd clanger. I really think he is our only potentially world class central defender.

In the meantime... jump on board Kolo!

BLOOMUEN said:
For me, Toure represents a 'sensible' buy. He brings good premier league experience, he has pace, power and the 'know how' of a seasoned campaigner. He is the kind of defender that Micah or, particularly, Nedum could become.

If we wanted someone really dominant in tha air (sick of conceding from set pieces), I'm not sure we'll be that much further on. Similarly, if we were looking for leadership on the pitch beyond that offered by Dunne, Given, Kompany... ahem Bellars etc, then once again...
Finally, if we were looking for a footballing defender to build from the back...

Not saying he's not worth having, but just I don't expect Kolo Toure to solve all our defensive woes if he is our only signing. Personally, would like to see Vinny groomed for a central defensive role. I know positionally he needs to become a bit more aware, but he has the physical presence, speed, aerial ability and footballing brain. He reminds me of a young camel gob. When he first arrived on the scene he was definitely prone to the odd clanger. I really think he is our only potentially world class central defender.

think you are spot on regarding Kompany. i think he could go on to be an awesome central defender

Don't get me wrong guys, I do think Kompany is a top top defender but the problem we have is that he will be out in the beginning of the season due to the operation on his toe.

We NEED to buy someone.

brand blue heavies said:
Dobsy87 said:
I really can't understand people complaining about the possibility of signing the Arsenal captain! We need a leader, an older head who has been there and done it, who can guide the likes of Onuoha and Richards. Ant, you are a tool.

Spot on mate.I sometimes wonder what football some city fans are watching.Toure has played for one of the consistant top 4 teams for years,played champions league football against some of the best players in europe.Was the main defender alongside campbell in the unbeaten Arsenal side...the one that went unbeaten all season..and is only 28..plus his form toward the end of last season was excellent after coming back from Malaria.
Coupled with the fact that we`d be taking him off one of our main competitors just adds more reason to snap him up asap.

Some city fans just need to look at the bigger picture.We aint in Europe this season and we are building a squad that will be capable of top 6..possibly top 4 if we gel.With the additions of possibly Lescott maybe another midfielder we will have a squad capable of doing this and a good run at one of the domestic cups.I just cant wait for the season to start!

Couldnt agree more with these posts. Toure would be a great signing, prem and euro experience. A few people seem to prefer Hangeland who has only played one season in the prem?? Makes no sense!

Quinninho said:
brand blue heavies said:
Spot on mate.I sometimes wonder what football some city fans are watching.Toure has played for one of the consistant top 4 teams for years,played champions league football against some of the best players in europe.Was the main defender alongside campbell in the unbeaten Arsenal side...the one that went unbeaten all season..and is only 28..plus his form toward the end of last season was excellent after coming back from Malaria.
Coupled with the fact that we`d be taking him off one of our main competitors just adds more reason to snap him up asap.

Some city fans just need to look at the bigger picture.We aint in Europe this season and we are building a squad that will be capable of top 6..possibly top 4 if we gel.With the additions of possibly Lescott maybe another midfielder we will have a squad capable of doing this and a good run at one of the domestic cups.I just cant wait for the season to start!

Couldnt agree more with these posts. Toure would be a great signing, prem and euro experience. A few people seem to prefer Hangeland who has only played one season in the prem?? Makes no sense!

Spot on, remember us all frothing at the mouth over fat Bob Taylor because he had been banging them in for Gillingham...

Toure is a different class as far as im concerned and will be a great signing should he decide to come.

Quinninho said:
brand blue heavies said:

I've said this before but I'll say it again: Hangeland has had one good season in a team which makes defenders look better than they are. The tactics Fulham employs makes for static centre halfs which will always be behind the ball and have plenty of other defensive players around to help you out. As a Norwegian I remember Hangeland from Viking and Copenhagen where he was decent but nothing more. His insane height and good strength helps him out... I think in an attacking team (like us or Arsehole) we'd be quite the liability...

Toure would be fantastic, Hangeland would be a big gamble!

BLOOMUEN said:

that's a good post mate.

Ticket For Schalke said:
How people can say he was back up, he started 29 league games last year, 3 in the cup and 9 in Europe, 41 starts in a season aint bad for backup
lets put this simply, and no im not saying i dont want him, because i really do.

toure is arsenals worst defender, thats why they bought that new centre back from ajax (have they?)

also, would toure get into any other top 4 teams defense? no, or if he does, its just about:

the scum: evra--vidic--ferdinand--o'shea = he COULD get in for o'shea if he worked at it, but he definatley wouldnt be guaranteed a place.

chelski: a. cole--terry *sigh* --carvalho--erm, bosingwa? = nope, dont think he'd get in there.

liverpool: aurelio--carrager--agger/skrtel--johnson = nope, no chance

but i still want him to join as he is better than what we have.

oh yeah and to that guy who said that he'd cost us 12 points, if we got him then he woud be replacing DUNNE. and we did have richards in our team last year, who was responsable for nearly half the goals we let in (he just gets the ball, runs up with it, passes to the opposition who then break and if its a decent team it can be 5 vs 1/2/3 in their favour)

im not having a go at our current players but merely saying that we have to improve if we want top 4.

Ticket For Schalke said:
BlueMooner87 said:
I hope this one goes through he has a great reputation with the arsenal fans for giving his all one thing I cannot understand is why we haven't been looking at or linked with Brede Hangeland

I can, because he is vastly overrated.

Ticket for Schalke, What part or parts of Hangeland's game do you not like?

Is it his positional play, his passing/distribution, tackling or parhaps defending corners etc???

Look fwd to the response.

BLOOMUEN said:

if we got kolo and lescott/upson do you reckon that that would solve the conceeding from free-kicks bit?

although if we got them id be tempted to play:

lescott--kompany--toure--onouha

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.